The Deathrock Thread
Aug 7, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Darkangel: Do you ever listen to the legendary pink dots? If yes, do you know where I could find their stuff on vinyl?

I totally dig the Legendary Pink Dots.

Try here, and check out "pushers". I've personally dealth with EAR/Rational (the best, but he only has two LPD's on vinyl) and Anomolous, and have heard good things about Middle Pillar.

Also check out here.

There's also a way to buy everything directly from the band, but most of the people I know that do that send well-concealed cash, and I'm not willing to do that in any quantities, so don't know the details.

Never heard of Deathrock, did you make this up? Most of these sound like would be called "Goth" to me.

Aug 7, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

thebirdman.gif

heheh. i want to know how many webpages you checked before you found out that i made up that name..
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Never heard of Deathrock, did you make this up? Most of these sound like would be called "Goth" to me.

Well...I consider cocteau twins, dead can dance.etc to be more "goth" Deathrock consists of more batcave-ish bands.

Check out http://www.deathrock.com for a list of bands considered to be of the deathrock genre.

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Well...I consider cocteau twins, dead can dance.etc to be more "goth" Deathrock consists of more batcave-ish bands.

Check out http://www.deathrock.com for a list of bands considered to be of the deathrock genre.

Well, I'll be...there's a whole website devoted to this stuff...???!!!???...checked out the list, interesting stuff, although I disagree with your assessment that Cocteau Twins and Dead Can Dance (other than the first album) define goth more than, say, Bauhaus, et al.

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
heheh. i want to know how many webpages you checked before you found out that i made up that name..
biggrin.gif

Not a one. (Honest.) There was just something about your "tone of voice" that screamed "made-up" to me. It would make a great band name, though. Would not be surprised if it surfaced soon, say in the Punk Rock section, or perhaps next to "Nocturnal Emissions" and "Premature Ejaculation" and "Circle Jerks' Golden Shower of Hits".

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #22 of 40
yeah, true. Goth is more of a label given to people who like certian types of music and go to the same clubs. There really are many different genres within the whole scene itself.

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Not a one. (Honest.) There was just something about your "tone of voice" that screamed "made-up" to me. It would make a great band name, though. Would not be surprised if it surfaced soon, say in the Punk Rock section, or perhaps next to "Nocturnal Emissions" and "Premature Ejaculation" and "Circle Jerks' Golden Shower of Hits".

it was the rollseyes face that did it.

actually, i had a friend who wanted to name his band "peroxide enima" which i still think is pretty funny heh.

Aug 11, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

thebirdman.gif

LoL, that's the funniest smiley I've ever seen!

But seriously, I'm amazed that you young whippersnappers don't know about deathrock (more properly, deathMETAL). My son swears by "Cannibal Corpse", one of the better known outfits of this genre. Odd thing is that I believe they DO have a track whose actual title is a naughty version of "Vaginal Hemmorage"!

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #25 of 40
I'm afraid the "deathrock" title really is not recoginized widely by any music classifaction system. All the groups mentioned at that site, including the bat cave stuff, is all just main stream gothic rock. They are trying to associate themselves with the much more extreme death/black metal scence, but there really is no comparison when it comes to music style.

Gothic rock is really just mainstream alt/rock that deals with dark subjects but the music style is very mainstream top 40 stuff:
Gothic Rock

Death/Black Metal is much more extreme and underground, extreme music speeds and highly distorted stylized vocals are very common:
Death/Black Metal

Death Rock = Gothic Rock (but trying to sound more extreme/evil to be cool)
Of course there are always groups 1/2 way between the two usually referred to as Gothic Metal, but all groups dicussed here so far are mainstream Gothic Rock

I think I read somewhere that Orgy called thier music "death pop" instead of watered down industrial metal, again an attempt to define themselves as cool instead of mainstream. (actually 1st CD title says it all "candy ass")

Aug 12, 2002 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 40
Darkangel is right on the money!

The only thing that could be Death Rock would be The Misfits, but most people would just call them Punk. Maybe Samhain??

Goth is goth, it's a totally different vibe than Metal, totally different fan base, and totally different outlook on life. They have nothing to do with each other.

It's just like Nu-Metal acts trying to seem extreme and evil by ripping off metal's look, but they are rapping and the songs all have a pop feel, just with down tuned guitars. Most kids are fooled, since they don't know any better.

Of course no hardcore metal fan listens to goth or Nu-Metal. And Metal is very unpop, and has a very small fanbase. And most people do not want anything to do with it.

They much rather have safer, waterdown versions, just like the hair bands of the 80's, these bands are no different.

well, enough of my rant...

as you were gentlemen
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #28 of 40
*sigh* this does not emulate, nor have anything to do with metal. Deathrock in no way, shape, or form tries to copy metal. In fact, deathrock has much more vivid of sound than any metal that I've ever heard. Comparing it to nu-metal is quite insulting. Goth is more of a label than a style of music...

Just because a style is not listed on allmusic.com does not mean that it does not exist.

Aug 13, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 40
Rather than worry about music catagories, lets get back to talking about music.

Nosferatu - Rise
Harmless goth rock that seems to imitate later peroid SOM, but sounds pretty enjoyable. This is 1st CD, subsequent releases don't sound nearly as good.

London After Midnight - Selected Scences
I really enjoyed LAM "psycho magnet" which is probably their best work, but this sounds pretty good also.

Cemetary - Last Confession
This is very high quality goth rock that blows away many of the more popular groups, check it ghouls.

Moonspell - Wolfheart
This is sometimes classified as goth metal, but really goth rock in my book. Group is from Portugal, and I highly recommend this CD.

Aug 13, 2002 at 4:31 PM Post #30 of 40
Yeah, good point.

Yesterday, I was at amoeba, and besides clean them out of all their deutsche-grammaphon LP's, I also got :

Teenage Jesus and the Jerks

Love and Rockets - Love and Rockets

Siouxsie - Nocturne

I get some strange looks when I buy these along with a bunch of classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back