The Deathrock Thread
Jul 30, 2002 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Well, head-fi did not previously have a deathrock thread, so I figured I'd start one.

Right now, I'm listening to:

Lydia Lunch - Queen of Siam

Specimen- Batastrophe

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field

Alien Sex fiend - Acid Bath

Anyone else here listen to deathrock, have any recommendations?

*note that deathrock is in no way affialiated with metal.

Jul 30, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field
Alien Sex fiend - Acid Bath

I thought these were Goth bands?
confused.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 40
deathrock?

confused.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 40
TS
I think most people call it Goth rock but anyway.........
Yes I have almost all the good goth stuff out there. I remember when I was a little vampire all the clubs played song
Specimen - Kiss Kiss, Band Bang
I have their "warm wet cling" CD which is essentially greatest hits.
(although they don't really have many real hits that I like)

Alien Sex Fiend
Lots of albums which were spotty quality at best, fortunately there have been several collections available, I have
-legendary batcave tapes
-singles 1983-95
Batcave is my favorite stuff here, not a big fan however, gets kinda of silly and repetitive.

Bauhaus
I have "everything" or very close anyway.........this is the real deal
and very high quality creative dark stuff. Also have some good material under spin-off groups
-tones on tail
-peter Murphy
-love and rockets etc.
Of course famous for "bela lugosi's dead" tack, but check out the live version on CD "press the eject" it blows away the studio version!

If you want some truely great stuff, check out:
switchblade symphony - serpentine gallery
This is an absolute goth masterpiece

Aug 1, 2002 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 40
Darkangel: Do you ever listen to the legendary pink dots? If yes, do you know where I could find their stuff on vinyl?

Aug 1, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Darkangel: Do you ever listen to the legendary pink dots? If yes, do you know where I could find their stuff on vinyl?

In the 1980's when I had records and Linn LP12 I did have some LPD/Kaspel, but never got any CDs and I gave all my records away to friends long ago.
frown.gif

I would check ebay for records, or go to Gemm and do worldwide search: .Gemm

You must get Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery, this is as good as goth gets and I have heard a lot.

Aug 2, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

In the 1980's when I had records and Linn LP12 I did have some LPD/Kaspel, but never got any CDs and I gave all my records away to friends long ago.
frown.gif

I would check ebay for records, or go to Gemm and do worldwide search: .Gemm

You must get Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery, this is as good as goth gets and I have heard a lot.

You gave up an LP12 for CD
eek.gif

Aug 4, 2002 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 40
Yes I sold the Linn LP12 in 1992, not because CDs sound better, but because I couldn't buy LPs anymore of new albums I wanted, only easily available as CDs. Even during late 1980's I could easily get new LPs, but by early 1990's almost all stores switched to CD.........and there was no AOL/internet then to order from remote locations.

I could have kept Linn to play old records, but I had been buying both formats for a while and decided to go all CD.

Tell us more about what you like in this area, I can give you many good suggestions.

Aug 4, 2002 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 40
Sad part is that most the bands that I like also have vinyl releases, I had a turntable at one point, but it upper mid-fi only. This was ages ago by the way. Now years from now, once I get my own house, I will have a sweet audiophile set-up with multiple sources
biggrin.gif

Aug 5, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 40
DarkAngel:

Do you dress Goth all the time too?
biggrin.gif
Got a Goth pic of yourself you can post?
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 5, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
I love Christian Death, I have a couple of their albums.
I also used to have a Nosferatu double LP, which I stupidly gave away.

I tried to listen to these guys "only theater pain" which is supposed to be their best, but the samples I heard sounded very dated and dare I say it..........silly, still almost bought this a couple times. Dosen't seem to have the same lasting quality as say Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy etc from the same time peroid. Which albums of theirs is the best?

When I was active in the club scence in Chicago there were no digital cameras........we are talking 1980s here, so no pictures I can post.

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 40
Hmm...well, right now I am listening to "The Birthday Party" which was one of nick cave's projects. I'm really liking the Live 1981-1982.

Aug 7, 2002 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
did any of you get the new vaginal hemmorage album? boy is it great..
rolleyes.gif

thebirdman.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back