The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 10, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #29,596 of 35,316
Well I chickened out and cancelled my order.
I'm going to research wireless earbuds/IEM's and maybe get something I know I'll like.
I've used Vipon before, and they're fine, but I don't think these earbuds will have enough bass for my tastes.

EDIT:
I think I'll stick to wired IEM's and over ear headphones.

This thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/going-fully-wireless-iems-too-soon-or-are-we-there-yet.861024/ is a good resource of info on TWS IEM's and is 1225 pages long. You can get some pretty good sound in TWS for not a lot of scratch.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #29,597 of 35,316
The Cowon Plenue J is on Amazon right now for $159 with a $60 coupon, making it $99. I picked one up just for fun. It is a bare bones DAP, but has very impressive sound - just as good to my ears as the Plenue D2. (It uses the same internals as the Plenue D, but is a bit more responsive and has a much slimmer all aluminum metal case - decent battery life as well @ ~50hrs.) If you want a good standalone, no frills DAP, it's pretty hard to beat at $99.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #29,598 of 35,316
The Cowon Plenue J is on Amazon right now for $159 with a $60 coupon, making it $99. I picked one up just for fun. It is a bare bones DAP, but has very impressive sound - just as good to my ears as the Plenue D2. (It uses the same internals as the Plenue D, but is a bit more responsive and has a much slimmer all aluminum metal case - decent battery life as well @ ~50hrs.) If you want a good standalone, no frills DAP, it's pretty hard to beat at $99.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/PLENUE-Jupiter-Resolution-Playback-Lightweight/dp/B077FJPGGP/

Jan 11, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #29,599 of 35,316
For $33 shipped, a variant of the famed Brainwavz HM-5 in an Open Back version, the Spadger CD990 is available now as an Amazon Lightning deal after checking the $15 coupon on the listing page. These are so far as I can tell identical to the Monoprice HR-5 Headphones except that they come with 2 pairs of protein leather pads instead of one each pair of PL and cloth. $48-$15 coupon for Prime members shipped. I bought a pair a couple of years back and can confirm they are the same headphones. At the time they came with the giant squishy padded case, I expect they still do.

If you search this deal thread for Spadger or Aizer you will find discussion of these phones including a link to a positive review of the Spadger by the sometimes right and frequently entertaining Zeos.

These are quite nice phones for $33...which is the cheapest I have seen any of the HM-5 variants. Note, open back, but they sound very similar to the closed versions.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #29,600 of 35,316
Nice find, @Ggroch!
If I needed something open back, I'd be all over that deal.

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #29,601 of 35,316
For $33 shipped, a variant of the famed Brainwavz HM-5 in an Open Back version, the Spadger CD990 is available now as an Amazon Lightning deal after checking the $15 coupon on the listing page. These are so far as I can tell identical to the Monoprice HR-5 Headphones except that they come with 2 pairs of protein leather pads instead of one each pair of PL and cloth. $48-$15 coupon for Prime members shipped. I bought a pair a couple of years back and can confirm they are the same headphones. At the time they came with the giant squishy padded case, I expect they still do.

If you search this deal thread for Spadger or Aizer you will find discussion of these phones including a link to a positive review of the Spadger by the sometimes right and frequently entertaining Zeos.

These are quite nice phones for $33...which is the cheapest I have seen any of the HM-5 variants. Note, open back, but they sound very similar to the closed versions.

Have had the HM5s for a while...always wondered what the open version sounds like...heck, the extra pads and cable are worth $30 even if the cans are horrible...which I'm pretty sure they won't be! :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #29,602 of 35,316
Have had the HM5s for a while...always wondered what the open version sounds like...heck, the extra pads and are worth $30 even if the cans are horrible...which I'm pretty sure they won't be! :)

I felt the same way, had to try a pair for $33. Even if they are horrible I get 2 pairs of pads, lol.

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #29,603 of 35,316
The price of the new FIIL T1X TWS Earbuds on Amazon has dropped to $34 shipped. They sell for $58-$65 on Gearbest/Aliexpress and are Prime shipped from the U.S.

Scarbir, (the most complete/honest review site I know of) gave them a 5 star review, and furrently (Jan 2020) ranks them as the best TWS earbuds for less than $100.

I own a set and they sound really excellent. Their most distinguishing feature is the Fiil+ app (on IOS and Android) which allows you to upload 12 different EQ curves (plus bass/treble emphasis). The EQ remains in memory so it works on all sources, not just the app. The EQ also does firmware updates and burn in. I understand that some people have had problems getting the app to work, but mine on Android works perfectly and I like the choices it provides. More bass for when I am exercising outdoors...less when listening to music indoors.

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #29,604 of 35,316
The price of the new FIIL T1X TWS Earbuds on Amazon has dropped to $34 shipped. They sell for $58-$65 on Gearbest/Aliexpress and are Prime shipped from the U.S.

Scarbir, (the most complete/honest review site I know of) gave them a 5 star review, and furrently (Jan 2020) ranks them as the best TWS earbuds for less than $100.

I own a set and they sound really excellent. Their most distinguishing feature is the Fiil+ app (on IOS and Android) which allows you to upload 12 different EQ curves (plus bass/treble emphasis). The EQ remains in memory so it works on all sources, not just the app. The EQ also does firmware updates and burn in. I understand that some people have had problems getting the app to work, but mine on Android works perfectly and I like the choices it provides. More bass for when I am exercising outdoors...less when listening to music indoors.
Im only seeing 49.99 with 10 off coupon right now. Was the coupon greater yesterday or is listing price fluctuating? Still a great buy at 39.99? Im using a pair of Tronsmart Spunky Beats right now that Im pretty happy with but was wondering if these are significantly better.

Jan 12, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #29,605 of 35,316
Im only seeing 49.99 with 10 off coupon right now. Was the coupon greater yesterday or is listing price fluctuating?......

Yesterday the FIIL T1X were $34 with no coupon. I agree the current $40 is a good value.

RE: the Spunky Beats ---- I coincidentally just ordered those yesterday during a lightning deal for $24. (yeah, I have a cheap TWS fetish). In my experience so far if most of the TWS earphones that are highly rated by Scarbir sound very good. Nearly all use the Qualcom 3020. To me, they mostly differ in bass/treble balance, fit/comfort, and controls. The primary advantages of the FIIL I think are the ability to change the EQ settings (which is a big deal), and the rubber "Wing" on the body, which for some ears provides more stability. They come with large, small, and no wings (just a rubber band). So, for me the flexibility rather than quality is the big deal, and I expect the Spunky Beats with the 3020 chip, graphene driver, and AptX will sound great.

Jan 14, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #29,607 of 35,316
well I missed out on those Spadgers for $33...I don't need them, but at that price, it's hard to pass up.
I don't recall seeing this posted. The Mee audio Pinnacle P2 for $25. It seems like a good deal on these, does anyone have any experience with them, is this a deal?
https://drop.com/buy/mee-audio-pinnacle-p2-iem

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #29,608 of 35,316
Who wants to try out Planar Iems for $50?
244611.jpg

I ordered a set...from the reviews I gather they need mods to be comfortable, a little EQ to sound their best and the cable sucks...but once you get that all sorted out, they sound AMAZING for the price.....
soooo you're saying this model of Monolith Planar is like every other Monolith Planar ever? Cool, I'll take one, that's usually a lot of fun.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24461

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back