The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #28,441 of 35,316
I couldn't find any real specs on these. Single dynamic I assume (?).
Dual balanced armature...one for bass, one for mids/treble.

Jul 3, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #28,442 of 35,316
I'd be curious how the Shinola sound vs. good closed cans, in the $100-200 range..... Akg 553/Beyer 770/Meze 99 etc....
Don’t have those, but as do have the closed well-regarded Sony MDR-1A. I’ll get them out and try a three way comparison of Shinola on ear, Shinola over ear, and Sony MDR-1A. Likely post results on the Shinola thread, here, once I do it.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #28,443 of 35,316
Don’t have those, but as do have the closed well-regarded Sony MDR-1A. I’ll get them out and try a three way comparison of Shinola on ear, Shinola over ear, and Sony MDR-1A. Likely post results on the Shinola thread, here, once I do it.
Would be very interested to hear your opinion on the Shinola over ears vs the MDR-1A.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #28,444 of 35,316
I’m tempted to grab the over ears too and keep the one I like the best. Can you give us quick impressions on whether the over ears punch above the 125 price point? Very little out there on these. Thanks

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #28,445 of 35,316
The EarStudio ES100 bluetooth receiver is down to $79.20 from $99.00 through Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H4YD2L/

This matches the price it has reached through various lightning deals, but this price has continued to be available for a few days now so perhaps this is a price drop rather than a sale. Whatever it is, that puts it just ten bucks more than the closest competitor, the FiiO BTR3. Now the only significant difference is that the ES100 has 2.5mm balanced output while the FiiO has lower latency.

Jul 3, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #28,446 of 35,316
I’m tempted to grab the over ears too and keep the one I like the best. Can you give us quick impressions on whether the over ears punch above the 125 price point? Very little out there on these. Thanks
I compared the Shinola On Ear, the Shinola Over Ear, and the Sony MDR-1A here.

In short, Shinola On-Ear > Shinola Over Ear = Sony MDR-1A. All are definitely worth their current price of $88 (on ear) or $112 (over ear), and the $349 (original list price) Shinola On Ears outshown the $265 Sony MDR-1As, but the Sonys outshone the On-Ear ($499) Shinola headphones.

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #28,447 of 35,316
From what I read on the IEM from Shinola it is not good. That was also reviewed at the MSRP of what $300-400 I believe

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #28,448 of 35,316
From what I read on the IEM from Shinola it is not good. That was also reviewed at the MSRP of what $300-400 I believe
What did you read and which IEM? The reviews on the IEM pro seem positive generally. The reviews on the cheaper version seem more mixed. The reviews of the Over Ears are all over the place ...

Jul 3, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #28,449 of 35,316
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #28,451 of 35,316
Jul 3, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #28,452 of 35,316
I got my Nighthawk Carbons in yesterday and I'm totally happy with them. They are fun and dark but still have some detail up top. Are they my favorites? Nah, they won't be my every day headphones, but they have a spot on my roster for when I want some serious head thumping bass that isn't flabby or distorted. For $200 they were a steal. Thanks @mks100 for posting up the sale info.

Interesting post. "Fun and dark but still have some detail up top" sounds like my kind of sound.

My Nighthawk Carbons will probably arrive Saturday. At the price I paid (~$217 incl. NYS tax), I have little riding on the outcome: this is a headphone I love the look of & have read good things about. If this headphone is even a little bit better than the Fidelio X2s (my 1st "serious" headphone & one that still pleases me to no end), this will be a total "win" IMO.

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #28,453 of 35,316
I got my Nighthawk Carbons in yesterday and I'm totally happy with them. They are fun and dark but still have some detail up top. Are they my favorites? Nah, they won't be my every day headphones, but they have a spot on my roster for when I want some serious head thumping bass that isn't flabby or distorted. For $200 they were a steal. Thanks @mks100 for posting up the sale info.
Got mine today. They sounded wonky OOTB but the more I listen they more they are growing on me. They seem new except there was not an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter as someone else mentioned. Makes me wonder if they really are new or not...

Jul 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #28,454 of 35,316
Interesting post. "Fun and dark but still have some detail up top" sounds like my kind of sound.

My Nighthawk Carbons will probably arrive Saturday. At the price I paid (~$217 incl. NYS tax), I have little riding on the outcome: this is a headphone I love the look of & have read good things about. If this headphone is even a little bit better than the Fidelio X2s (my 1st "serious" headphone & one that still pleases me to no end), this will be a total "win" IMO.

I remember talking to you in the X2 thread a while back, and we both enjoyed the Fidelios. In my opinion, these trounce the X2's, hands down. I think you're in for a happy surprise my man.

Got mine today. They sounded wonky OOTB but the more I listen they more they are growing on me. They seem new except there was not an 1/8" to 1/4" adapter as someone else mentioned. Makes me wonder if they really are new or not...

I didn't get an adapter either but the seal around the headphones wasn't broken. So I'm gonna assume they are new but that AudioQuest just dropped the ball and sent out a batch without the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back