The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jan 29, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #23,327 of 35,316
  Award to fraudulent Amazon third party seller with the most transparent name:

LegalCrock

Awesomely ironic.

But after seeing 2-3 posts like this one, it occurs to me I should be asking:

1. How do you know a given Amazon seller is fraudulent?

2. Do these people fake/spoof good credentials?

3. How do they "fraudently" sell in the 1st place?

I'd rather avoid bogus sellers if possible, but don't know how to identify them...

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #23,329 of 35,316

Awesomely ironic.

I'd rather avoid bogus sellers if possible, but don't know how to identify them...

It's usually pretty obvious.  If a third party listing description looks suspicious or asks you to contact them outside of Amazon, it's fake.
Here's an example:

$300.00 + $5.19 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax

Used - Like New

~CONTACT BEFORE ORDER!! ^^ORDERS^(-AT*) **Q-STORE*,NET*~~TODAY~!!

1. Arrives between February 2-7.
  2. Ships from MO, United States.
  3. Shipping rates and return policy.

LegalCrock

Just Launched (Seller Profile)

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #23,330 of 35,316

Award to fraudulent Amazon third party seller with the most transparent name:

LegalCrock

Awesomely ironic.

Check this thread in mid to late November.  We discussed this in some detail.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #23,333 of 35,316
They are fraud bots and easy to tell.
- Just launched
- No rating
- Phone call order

Don't forget too-good-to-be-true prices and nearly always listed as "Used - Like New" (for some reason).

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #23,334 of 35,316

Check this thread in mid to late November.  We discussed this in some detail.

Will do! Wasn't subscribed then...didn't know.

And thanks for the info, @Uberclocked!

My post on November 19th:

As the (ever growing) Black Friday period has apparently begun, I want to remind our not-so-regular visitors to this thread of the many fraudulent third party sellers on Amazon.  Indeed during recent days there seems to be an uptick to their already large numbers. 

Assume that any deal that is "too good to be true" probably is just that.  Do not deal with any third party seller that wants to communicate with you outside the Amazon communication system.  Stay away from their private email addresses.  Most, but not all, of these fraud merchants, are "just launched" sellers. Also--never "pay" with an Amazon gift card.

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #23,336 of 35,316

As the (ever growing) Black Friday period has apparently begun, I want to remind our not-so-regular visitors to this thread of the many fraudulent third party sellers on Amazon.  Indeed during recent days there seems to be an uptick to their already large numbers. 

Assume that any deal that is "too good to be true" probably is just that.  Do not deal with any third party seller that wants to communicate with you outside the Amazon communication system.  Stay away from their private email addresses.  Most, but not all, of these fraud merchants, are "just launched" sellers. Also--never "pay" with an Amazon gift card.

Ditto.

I find it ironic at least that I cannot post a product review on Amazon without their first reading and vetting it, yet I can open a fraudulent seller account that tells people to contact me directly rather than through Amazon without any Amazon vetting prior to posting!

Furthermore, when I just for grins defied the request to contact the seller directly and actually ordered the heavily-discounted item through Amazonas if it were a normal order, Amazon put a pending charge on my card immediately, then in an hour or so cancelled the order.  The pending charge remained, and when I asked the credit card company about it, they said it had to be removed by Amazon.  When I asked Amazon to remove it, they refused, saying that the charge would only become "real" when/if Amazon told the credit card company to do so, and that they would not.

Amazon does do a good job of catching these.  Many of the items for which I have low price alerts set on camelcamelcamel.com generate notices at unrealistically low prices, and when within an hour or so I actually see the alert and go to Amazon, Amazon has already removed the seller.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #23,337 of 35,316
Jan 30, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #23,338 of 35,316
Fiio X3ii for $139.99 at Massdrop. Thinking about picking these up as my first DAP.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fiio-x3-2nd-generation-player?referer=ADQAQT

Very good price on an excellent DAP.
At this price - stop thinking!  
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #23,340 of 35,316

This is helpful information!

I've never been burned on Amazon & would rather not start now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back