The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Oct 3, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #21,946 of 35,316
I ordered the Monoprice DAC/Amp and ended up returning it. For reference, I have the original Meridian Explorer and a Parasound ZDac V2 for home use. It's definitely pretty good for the money, but bass was a little boomy compared to what I normally use. I'd recommend it only if you want a portable solution to listen to on the go but not to use at home.

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #21,947 of 35,316
Anyone know of some good deals on IEM and Bluetooth headsets? Mainly need one for commute and the other for workout (Bluetooth). I purchased the MPOW Bullfight's not so long ago, they were great but suddenly started to go out and giving me problems. They were great for 20 dollars but I need something more reliable and a more "known" brand I can trust.

There are several options out there but I still want to get the best bang for my buck, so I do need to make a bit more of research....

Budget is around $20 to $40 for an IEM and $40 to $80ish for a Blutooth (possibly will reconsider Jay BluBirds X2 or equivalent).

TIA

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #21,948 of 35,316
  Anyone know of some good deals on IEM and Bluetooth headsets? Mainly need one for commute and the other for workout (Bluetooth). I purchased the MPOW Bullfight's not so long ago, they were great but suddenly started to go out and giving me problems. They were great for 20 dollars but I need something more reliable and a more "known" brand I can trust.

There are several options out there but I still want to get the best bang for my buck, so I do need to make a bit more of research....

Budget is around $20 to $40 for an IEM and $40 to $80ish for a Blutooth (possibly will reconsider Jay BluBirds X2 or equivalent).

TIA

I use the BlueBud X for working out every morning, and I like them. You will probably want to get Comply tips for them, and make sure to get the right size for your ears (true for any IEM).

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #21,949 of 35,316

I use the BlueBud X for working out every morning, and I like them. You will probably want to get Comply tips for them, and make sure to get the right size for your ears (true for any IEM).

How reliable have the BlueBud X been for you? No popping or crackling of any sort? How is the quality of the phone calls?

I have been eyeing the X2's lately so they may be my next Bluetooth but I still need an IEM that I can use on my daily commute to work that isn't bluetooth ( I take the bus to work)

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #21,950 of 35,316

How reliable have the BlueBud X been for you? No popping or crackling of any sort? How is the quality of the phone calls?

I have been eyeing the X2's lately so they may be my next Bluetooth but I still need an IEM that I can use on my daily commute to work that isn't bluetooth ( I take the bus to work)

Very reliable. I just use the Comply tips and the little things to shorten the wire so it goes behind my head. I get about 3-4 per charge. I rarely use them for phone calls (I'm working out), but when I have, they work well.

Here's the discussion on the BlueBud X
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675972/jaybird-bluebuds-x-bluetooth-iems

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #21,951 of 35,316

I posted the X2 for $70 a few weeks ago, keep your eyes they are easy to find at a discount since many retail store sell them

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #21,953 of 35,316
Thinksound On1 for $110 on Massdrop. This usually means long waits to get the headphones, but sounds like a great price on headphones I really like (on my phone, hard to post a link).

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #21,954 of 35,316

TIA

Very reliable. I just use the Comply tips and the little things to shorten the wire so it goes behind my head. I get about 3-4 per charge. I rarely use them for phone calls (I'm working out), but when I have, they work well.

Here's the discussion on the BlueBud X
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675972/jaybird-bluebuds-x-bluetooth-iems

I have the X2's and have enjoyed them. They come with comply tips so no need to purchase them (BlueBuds didn't). That said, I would buy these instead: https://www.adv-sound.com/collections/all-collection/products/model-3

Back to back against my X2's I think the soundstage is a lot nicer. WAY more separation than the X2's, which is something I've been missing. Not too mention the can be used as wired IEM's as well. They're also $80.

Good initial review here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/advanced-sound/reviews/16962

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #21,958 of 35,316
Lot of scammers on Amazon these days guys.. be careful of these third party sellers. I keep wanting to pull the trigger on some of these deals.. but I know it's too risky.

There has been a rash of third-party sellers, whom you get when you click the link
"Available from third party sellers starting at (some price about half of what you'd expect)." These sellers tell you to click a link that goes direct to them, rather than ordering from an amazon link. You are then instructed to buy an amazon gift card in their name in the amount of the purchase. Of course, you then lose all recourse if they don't send you the item. Stay Away!

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #21,959 of 35,316
Beyerdynamic's DT 1770 Pro closed monitoring headphones Used from Amazon Warehouse Deals starting at $279 (plus tax for many).  Great price on a not often discounted phone. I love mine and if you get a good set you probably will too.

There have been quality control issues on the DT1770. ...so if you get a bad set you will need to take advantage of Amazon's totally free including shipping returns. 

I disagree with some of the comments made here on the risks of buying from 3rd party vendors on Amazon.  As long as you purchase through the system (not fall for the ridiculous scams that try to get you to send them money directly) you could hardly find a safer place. I think you would have to be rather ignorant to fall for this stuff (no offense meant to the ignorant). 

The vendor has no control over defective returns, and Amazon is very much in the buyer's corner.    You have to be willing to be disappointed and send back products that do not meet descriptions, so the risk is hassle, not loss of $$.   Amazon Warehouse in particular has sketchy quality control...but Amazon seems to realize this and refunds without question. 

I do avoid "just launched" vendors....unless their listing is very specific with photos.  In any case, is easy to get a refund.

ON a POSITIVE NOTE: Amazon has just outlawed buyer reviews from those who receive their product free or at a discount in exchange for an "honest" review. Amazon's Vine reviewers are exempt..but no one else is.  Amazon reviews used to be a great source for determining product quality until the paid for reviews took over.

If  Amazon really enforces this it will be a great thing.  Many of the vendors provided coupon codes for discounts..this will stop. On the other hand it will be hard for them to monitor manufacturers providing cash refunds after the fact.  And you can still review products with no proof you ever owned them. 

Very good move on Amazon's part, lets see if they are successful. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #21,960 of 35,316
Given the current $/
£​
 exchange rate, I just ordered a new Mojo directly from Chord on Amazon UK including delivery here to the US for $438:

Chord original price : 
£399​

less VAT               : ​
£332.50​
 ​

plus shipping        :  ​
£9.95​

--------------------​

Total                  :  
£342.45​

I charged it to my Capital One MC and paid in British pounds rather than dollars because Capital One charges the real exchange rate with no fees.

Total charged to my card $438  !!

Edit : The pound deteriorated further by the time the pending charged turned into an actual charge :   $425  !!

I
tT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back