The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Dec 22, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #19,606 of 35,298
  During my ownership of the SHP9500 I had the Project Polaris and that pairing was fantastic. I'd expect the same out of a Project Sunrise 3, Ember, Starlight, Vali 2, etc.

We're talking about the SHP9500 right? Thing with those phones is burn-in, at least 150hrs of LOUD music.

Sorry, we are talking about X2. But it's good to know this. Thnaks. :)

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #19,607 of 35,298
  Used (Very Good) Philips Fidelio X2 from Amazon Warehouse for $143:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00O2Y2MZG/ref=olp_page_1?ie=UTF8&f_usedAcceptable=true&f_usedGood=true&f_usedLikeNew=true&f_usedVeryGood=true&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ

Thanks for the heads up on the price change. I tried to get a price adjustment through their live chat but no luck. I ended up cancelling and re-ordering for $11 less than yesterday. Cheers

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #19,608 of 35,298
Dec 23, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #19,609 of 35,298
What's the amplifier?

The Grace m9xx does a very good job with the X2s, but something with more current is better. My old recapped and upgraded NAD 3020a hits the mark and really makes them shine. I think just about every serious head-fier needs an old integrated amp or receiver (from back when they had serious headphone outs), they can perform as well as any of the high-end HP amps sold today.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #19,611 of 35,298
The Grace m9xx does a very good job with the X2s, but something with more current is better. My old recapped and upgraded NAD 3020a hits the mark and really makes them shine. I think just about every serious head-fier needs an old integrated amp or receiver (from back when they had serious headphone outs), they can perform as well as any of the high-end HP amps sold today.

This is why I never felt the need for a high end headphone amp. I've tried a few and sold them. Seems obvious to me, but I think a lot of headfi members are married to their computer setups and don't usually go for the home living room 2 channel set up. I found better results with most of my headphones straight out of a headphone amp on my vintage integrated amp.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #19,616 of 35,298

Why did you expect a $400 headphone to sound like a $1000 headphone?

Because there really isn't any requirement for what a headphone should sound like at any price point.  Also, whether a headphone is better than another is subjective and will not hold true for everyone.

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #19,617 of 35,298
Because there really isn't any requirement for what a headphone should sound like at any price point.  Also, whether a headphone is better than another is subjective and will not hold true for everyone.

Agree completely, but that doesn't answer my question. The poster said he was disappointed that his $400 headphones didn't sound like $1000 headphones. I asked him why he would expect that.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #19,618 of 35,298
Agree completely, but that doesn't answer my question. The poster said he was disappointed that his $400 headphones didn't sound like $1000 headphones. I asked him why he would expect that.

Because he hopped on the hype train and realized he didn't like the sound when he got it, and now he's suffering from buyer's remorse.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #19,620 of 35,298

This is why I never felt the need for a high end headphone amp. I've tried a few and sold them. Seems obvious to me, but I think a lot of headfi members are married to their computer setups and don't usually go for the home living room 2 channel set up. I found better results with most of my headphones straight out of a headphone amp on my vintage integrated amp.

I have a different experience.  My (1987, also recapped or at least factory cleaned up in 2003 NAD 3130 does not work well with low impedance headphones. Placebo effects may be at work, but it seems clear to me that the high impedance headphone out of the 3130 works badly with some headphones, e.g. the HD598.  On the other hand, the Beyer DT250-250 sounds very good with the NAD 3130. I like the Q701 (bass modded) with the Pioneer Elite A35.  I had bought the A35 to stand in for the 3130 when it was being factory cleaned; it did not work well for that purpose, because it is unable to power my 2003 Magnepan MMGs as well as the 3130, but it works better with most headphones.  In my opinion, and again there may be placebo effects at work, all of my headphones sound as well or better with the Dragonfly->O2 combination than with the 3130 or the A35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back