The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #31,921 of 35,312
Tempting, but that vaguely alien probe form factor vibe the Etymotic have going is a bit off-putting… :wink:
You could try some tips that seal further out in your ear canal to avoid inserting them so far?

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #31,925 of 35,312
Yeah...ended up pulling the trigger on the W80. Am more headphone centric as well but have snagged a couple really good IEM deals this year.
I just ordered the W80. Thx!

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #31,928 of 35,312
Thank for this! The W80 is by probably my favorite universal IEM, both due to the fantastic sound and the fantastic fit. I've been wanting to get my hands on one but have been unwilling to shell out that much cash. This was an easy impulse buy!

To be clear, everyone's ears are different, but those Westone W series IEM's fit me extremely comfortably!

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #31,929 of 35,312
Thank for this! The W80 is by probably my favorite universal IEM, both due to the fantastic sound and the fantastic fit. I've been wanting to get my hands on one but have been unwilling to shell out that much cash. This was an easy impulse buy!

To be clear, everyone's ears are different, but those Westone W series IEM's fit me extremely comfortably!
I have the W30 and W50, and agree that Westone are fantastic fitting IEMs, at least for me. YMMV.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #31,930 of 35,312
This is actually a great deal, especially considering that the new $469 version of the Hemp uses Grado's new fabric-sheathed cables, which are worse than the previous generation.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #31,932 of 35,312
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #31,933 of 35,312
You could try some tips that seal further out in your ear canal to avoid inserting them so far?

In my experience, this doesn't work too well with Etmotic IEMs as it definitely changes the treble response and therefore tonal accuracy and realism for the worse since the altered ear canal coupling volume changes the location and amplitude of the resonance peaks wherefore the Etys lose their linear and smooth response.
Therefore, a deep insertion is key with Etymotic IEMs. If the triple-flange tips don't work for one for some reason, they could try modifying them to dual-flange tips while maintaining about the same tip length (which I did because I need tips with an even larger diameter than the included large triple-flange ones to seal in my ear canal) or the barrel-style included foam tips. Alternatively, for some time now, Etymotic also make differently sized dual-flange tips and include them by default (I don't have any experience with them, though, as all of the Etymotic IEMs that I have on hand are from before they started making/including them), however if the seller is shipping older stock, they may not be included.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #31,934 of 35,312

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back