The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!)
Mar 2, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #23,536 of 35,269
$0.01 for "like new" Monitor Audio Bronze Series Center 2 Way Speaker - Black Oak - with free shipping from fraudulent Amazon third party seller Melissa Burrows, looking for her first victim:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00XW4LAE6

All her products are priced at 1 cent.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #23,538 of 35,269

$0.01 for "like new" Monitor Audio Bronze Series Center 2 Way Speaker - Black Oak - with free shipping from fraudulent Amazon third party seller Melissa Burrows, looking for her first victim:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00XW4LAE6

All her products are priced at 1 cent.

What's the point of stealing 1 cent?

No doubt to get the customer to communicate outside the Amazon system--where the actual price and terms will be dropped, as well as the off the Amazon books payment method.

Regardless, they have already been swept from Amazon.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #23,541 of 35,269
No expert here, but I've read things on both sides of oversampling. On The positive, it is supposed to move some noise/distortion out of the audible range. Oh the negative, some think the manipulations damage or affect the original signal. I don't know; probably the implementation makes a big difference...

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #23,542 of 35,269

for portable price has increased to 125 $

Desktop version for 150 $ with free shipping (new item, fulfilled by amazon)

https://www.amazon.com/Korg-DSDAC100-Channel-Portable-Playback/dp/B00GGHHG8A/

Will that Korg work as a preamp to this Marantz MM7025. Balanced of course
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R7KMSS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #23,544 of 35,269
  Will that Korg work as a preamp to this Marantz MM7025. Balanced of course
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R7KMSS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Korg says it was designed to work as a preamp so yes it should work fine...

HOWEVER, the nice big front Alps volume knob only controls the headphone output, so if you want to control the volume out of the DAC you would use your computer's volume control (or the Audiogate 4) software.  There are a lot of FAQs on the Korg site.

Just 1 left on the Amazon site. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #23,545 of 35,269
Have you tried them? How is the sound quality? Are they neutral and balanced across the frequency spectrum?

Joker did a review in the multi-iem review thread/theheadphonelist.com IIRC

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #23,547 of 35,269
My Korg DC-DAC-100 arrived...it took me longer than necessary to install because I was using the printed manual.   There is a much simpler manual in the installer downloads bundle.

Some quick notes for them that bought... feel free to ignore:

If you unzip the archive then go to the "Manual" Folder, then DS 10_100_100m, then choose Advanced Guide and pick your language.  Who'd of thought the advanced guide was actually the simple guide in proper English.   I installed lots more than I had to and had to uninstall.  As the Advanced Guide Says...just install the DS-DAC driver (for windows in my case), then plug in the DAC.  It should work perfectly as a windows DAC at this point.   Then install Audiogate 4 for the Hi-Def DSD functionality.     

The KORG USB driver has a control panel where you can switch from PCM to DSD...and the DSD only works within Audiogate...so when you close Audiogate be sure to switch the driver back to PCM mode or you get no sound in windows.

Ist Sound Impressions: Within Audiogate you can upsample and convert all sorts of audio files on the fly, either in PCM or DSD. It appears you can also export them in the new format.  On my preliminary listening to my small library of FLAC files...the DSD sound different, and most of the time better.   Perhaps a little more detailed and more musical..warmer less strident.   I do not think they should sound different when I switch from lossless to lossless formats, so I can't explain it.   The built in headphone amp will not handle really tough phones, but sounds very nice on my new Monoprice M1060s.

The Korg will be fun to play with..the software seems easy and flexible.  The Dac is all aluminum and feels/looks nice.  I will let others with better ears breakdown the DSD vs PCM sound.  You can switch between playback modes very quickly to compare.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #23,548 of 35,269
  My Korg DC-DAC-100 arrived...it took me longer than necessary to install because I was using the printed manual.   There is a much simpler manual in the installer downloads bundle.

Some quick notes for them that bought... feel free to ignore:

If you unzip the archive then go to the "Manual" Folder, then DS 10_100_100m, then choose Advanced Guide and pick your language.  Who'd of thought the advanced guide was actually the simple guide in proper English.   I installed lots more than I had to and had to uninstall.  As the Advanced Guide Says...just install the DS-DAC driver (for windows in my case), then plug in the DAC.  It should work perfectly as a windows DAC at this point.   Then install Audiogate 4 for the Hi-Def DSD functionality.     

The KORG USB driver has a control panel where you can switch from PCM to DSD...and the DSD only works within Audiogate...so when you close Audiogate be sure to switch the driver back to PCM mode or you get no sound in windows.

Ist Sound Impressions: Within Audiogate you can upsample and convert all sorts of audio files on the fly, either in PCM or DSD. It appears you can also export them in the new format.  On my preliminary listening to my small library of FLAC files...the DSD sound different, and most of the time better.   Perhaps a little more detailed and more musical..warmer less strident.   I do not think they should sound different when I switch from lossless to lossless formats, so I can't explain it.   The built in headphone amp will not handle really tough phones, but sounds very nice on my new Monoprice M1060s.

The Korg will be fun to play with..the software seems easy and flexible.  The Dac is all aluminum and feels/looks nice.  I will let others with better ears breakdown the DSD vs PCM sound.  You can switch between playback modes very quickly to compare.

Fascinating post. I don't need another DAC, and haven't even thought about DSD for myself. In fact, a few months I sold one of the relatively few nearly-portable, small form factor DSD-capable DACs, the Meridian Explorer2 (which I had upgraded to DSD capability). That shows how little I was focusing on DSD... All the music I listen to on my computer (w/various combinations of headphones and amps) consists of either:

1 - wav files ripped from various CDs using JRiver Media Player (probably have the equivalent of 75-100 CDs on the hard drive).
2 - youtube music
3 - other streaming music (free/usually classical music)

So I'm trying to figure out if someone who doesn't own Korg hardware (me) can somehow benefit from it...specifically, this ability to upsample 44.1/16 bit wav files to higher resolution (but not DSD). Just spent some time on the Korg website, and it looks like the non-"Lite" version of their software can only be activated w/a purchase code for any one of their hardware models.

That's too bad. This software interests me, but I really am not in the market for a DSD DAC right now.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #23,549 of 35,269

Fascinating post. I don't need another DAC, and haven't even thought about DSD for myself. In fact, a few months I sold one of the relatively few nearly-portable, small form factor DSD-capable DACs, the Meridian Explorer2 (which I had upgraded to DSD capability). That shows how little I was focusing on DSD... All the music I listen to on my computer (w/various combinations of headphones and amps) consists of either:

1 - wav files ripped from various CDs using JRiver Media Player (probably have the equivalent of 75-100 CDs on the hard drive).
2 - youtube music
3 - other streaming music (free/usually classical music)

So I'm trying to figure out if someone who doesn't own Korg hardware (me) can somehow benefit from it...specifically, this ability to upsample 44.1/16 bit wav files to higher resolution (but not DSD). Just spent some time on the Korg website, and it looks like the non-"Lite" version of their software can only be activated w/a purchase code for any one of their hardware models.

That's too bad. This software interests me, but I really am not in the market for a DSD DAC right now.

You mentioned you using JRiver Media Center, it can upsample the files. It can also convert them to DSD

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #23,550 of 35,269
  You mentioned you using JRiver Media Center, it can upsample the files. It can also convert them to DSD

Yes, it is alleged to be able to do those things. But when I looked into upsampling specifically, I found out 2 things:

- The standard software one licenses from JRiver (at least as of Media Center 17 era) did not include the upsampling feature.
- So I tried researching how to procure, install and use it, but just wasted hours. JRiver's online "Support" facility is an FAQ funhouse--just a big database of stuff posted by employees & users. I couldn't get any clarity on exactly what to download and what to do, so I gave up.

There are limits to the "JRiver Media Player" experience--and this was definitely one of them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back