The Day the Music Died - 50 years ago today
Feb 3, 2009 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
See here: Rock Vets Remember 'The Day The Music Died' and here: The Day the Music Died - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought about starting this thread with some comments about their music and their influence, but words don't ever do justice in situations like this. Suffice it to say, I've always been a fan of all three of them, especially Buddy Holly. May they rest in peace and may their memory always live on through their music.

(BTW, this is definitely a Music forum thread, and not something for the Member's Lounge.)

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 11
Hard to believe that this thread didn't get any air time here... oh well, a sign of the times, I guess.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm too young to know much about stuff this old, sorry Wayne
frown.gif

I'm not much of a history/music history buff either so that doesn't help.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 11
I've seen the movie, "La Bamba," but I didn't know that the song, American Pie, was related to the death of those 3 musicians until the radio mentioned something about it yesterday.
redface.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 11
Bah! Sure it was a tragic and sad event way back when. But by no means did the music ever die. Long live their music and all the good music now and beyond.

Feb 5, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to believe that this thread didn't get any air time here... oh well, a sign of the times, I guess.

Yeah I guess it is
frown.gif
. My favorite was Buddy Holly as well. I often wondered what types of music he would have made... Can't believe that it's been that long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two new Holly releases -
Two new multi-disc Buddy Holly releases features hits, rarities

Thanks for the info. I am going to purchase the Buddy Holly Memorial Collection when it comes out
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Ever see the movie 'The Buddy Holly Story' with Gary Busey? That's the definite Buddy Holly movie and is a must see for all music lovers no matter what age you are. This is one of the bands that gave birth to Rock and Roll so is very important in the history of music.

The Buddy Holly Story (1978)

I have some Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens in my collection. Los Lobos did a great version of La Bamba too.

The Beatles were influenced by Buddy Holly and the Crickets and is why they named themselves The Beatles.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the info. I am going to purchase the Buddy Holly Memorial Collection when it comes out
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome. I'll be getting the Memorial Collection myself...hope they didn't compress the bejeezus out of it...

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm actually listening to American Pie... weird.

pink

Users who are viewing this thread

Back