The Cure goes through lineup changes
May 27, 2005 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
so after 10 years of a stable lineup, keyboardist Roger O'Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte (along with brother Daryl Bamonte who handles behind the scenes stuff) are no longer with The Cure.

it's been a rough week for many Cure fans, with drama between the fansite "Chain of Flowers" and the official Cure camp. rumours have been flying around, people pointing fingers at one another, and even Robert coming out to quash some of the rumours... arguments about which two members are leaving, who are the replacements (there was even a rumour that Banshees member Steve Severin was joining THe Cure), summer festival dates, etc... but here's the official statement from Roger O'Donnell's site:

27/5/5> As of Tuesday this week I am no longer a member of The Cure
I have prepared an official statement which will be released when
timely. It was sad to find out after nearly 20 years the way I did but
then I should have expected no less or more. I will try and reply
to every email of support I receive but if I don't get to yours,
THANK YOU. The fans have always been very important to
me and will remain so. I look forward to seeing as many of you as I
can when I tour my album later this year, hopefully in a more relaxed
and happy atmosphere than has surrounded The Cure these last
couple of years.

here's the clipping from A Chain of Flowers:

Well, there's not much sense in withholding this any longer, and judging from the e-mails of the last couple of days, it's not exactly a state secret - Roger O'Donnell, Perry Bamonte and Daryl Bamonte are no longer with The Cure.

To each of you, our sincerest thanks for everything you contributed to The Cure and to the fans over these many years. We will miss you, and we wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose to do next.

So what does this mean for The Cure? It looks like the band will continue, apparently as a 3 piece, and the festival tour will go on as planned. I'm sure there will be a much more definitive and informative announcement in the near future.

May 28, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 2
it's officially up on The Cure's website when A Chain of Flowers rumoured it almost a week ago.

from www.thecure.com:

Line-Up Change
5/27/2005 8:56:24 PM - by geffen

The decade old line-up of The Cure has changed - Perry Bamonte and Roger O'Donnell are no longer in the band.

The forthcoming summer shows will be performed by Robert Smith, Simon Gallup and Jason Cooper... And others???

More news soon.

whether The Cure will continue as a three-piece (would be very interesting), or will have replacements remains to be seen. The Cure goes through many line-up changes, but IIRC this one was the longest. Roger O'Donnell is an amazing keyboardist and is well loved by the fans. Perry Bamonte, a great guitarist but who unfairly will forever be compared to the guitarist he replaced, Porl Thompson (two different styles, i tell you!), is easily the nicest and the most approchable band member. they will both be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back