The culture of headphones and portable audio
Sep 27, 2011 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Sceleris

Head-Fier
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15066957

I saw this on the BBC website this morning and thought it might be of interest to the rest of you Head-Fi'ers. What do people think about this anti-social theory? Are we the worst of the lot?

I know I've on occasion certainly (perhaps perversely) enjoyed knowing that people can't talk to me when I'm out and about with my IEMs on.

Though the main thrust of article was interesting, I also really liked the quote from Andreas Pavel (our spiritual father?) regarding his experience with the first portable prototype of headphones + source:

1. "It was like a dream. It is the pleasure of the music combined with the vision of your environment. You are putting a soundtrack to life so that it becomes like a film."

A secondary point for discussion: I don't know much about headphone history, so if the BBC article is inaccurate in crediting Pavel as the founding father of portable audio, I would love to hear about it! 

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 13
This is why I use the OMX 980 when I'm outside. They let all outside sounds inside so I can easily hear people, traffic and nature. I've also found that people talk to me like I didn't have earbuds in my ears, for some strange reason. And it definitely is like putting a soundtrack to my life; especially since I listen to a lot of music without singing.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 13
I don't believe that the search for an aesthetically pleasing aural experience can easily blamed for or, exchanged with antisocial behavior.  Speaking only for myself, my desire to remain disengaged from people exists independently of my desire to or the act of listening to music outside of my home.  I will also say that, I'm almost never in the mood to speak to strangers and, the pensive sharp, stare I usually have on my face when in public, communicates that well. 

When I see others wearing headphones, I do tend to associate that action with obfuscation of ones humanity but, other fashion accessories and/or typical electronic gadgets only supplement that assumption. Next time you are walking down the street, take a look at the woman walking in large sunglasses, an ipod, headphones and with a steely look on her face. Doing such seems fashionable these days.  so much so that it isn't hard to find one of these women in urban areas.  And, so much so that it isn't something you can blame on personal media alone.

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I rarely wear headphones in public, especially not while walking around.

I will wear them on airplanes. Mostly to tune out the noise but I'll admit to sending out the "please leave me alone" vibe. I usually don't want to talk and I do not want to bother others.

I go a step further when riding the Metro, though. That calls for IEMs, sunglasses and a book. Antisocial, yes, but I don't want to be hit up for money or have someone follow me because I paid attention to them. That's happened before and it is uncomfortable. I'd rather fade into the background and be ignored.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 13
I usually take off my headphones when I'm walking with someone who likes to talk but I suppose the main reason why I wear headphones in public is because I want my own private space. If I needed directions, I wouldn't stop someone who was wearing headphones but I wouldn't find it annoying if someone stops me for directions when I'm wearing headphones. It's not like I'm doing critical listening or whatever.

It's not really a sound track to life... music just keeps me entertained. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 13
I always take my HD-25's with me when travelling. I cant live without my music. 

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 13
I never wear headphones in public. I think it is brusque when people wear headphones when their friends are talking to them. I mean, if you have a friend next to you, the LEAST you could do is take off your headphones, even if you are pretending to listen.

On the contrary, I actually wear earplugs (er20) when taking the train everyday. I am tired of hearing people's music blasting so loud that MY ears start getting painful sensations when standing next to them. It makes it more hospitable. Usually, I just read a magazine or a book.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 13
I don't wear headphones or ear phones out in public. I usually enjoy them like if I am on a bus for example or other modes of transportation. However on some occasions I do love listening while I am walking out in public and it can be wonderful. 

I think it can make people anti social in a way but not really that much. I think cell phones make people more unsocial. Every time I go out, I see someone texting on a cell phone and not very aware of surrounding environment. It's usually young people. I've never seen a bunch of senior citizens at a park texting or listening to some high end Shure IEM.

I remember when I was visiting London a few years ago, I saw an elderly woman on the corner waiting for the bus. We shared the same bus and had a nice conversation. She had no iPod and she was not busy texting or glued to a Facebook screen. I also had no portable IEM rig nor did I have my cell phone with me since I was on vacation, I try to avoid carrying one. It was like old fashioned times and we had a lovely conversation. No there was no flirting involved..

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 13
I am blessed to live in a time where I can put my headphones on and forget about the world around me. It has made me a happier person, not having to deal with people who I want to ignore. I live in Mexico, and things are terrible here. I have friends and go out with them and we have a good time, but I do not want to deal with city people. If I need female company I call a couple of lady friends or get a hooker
biggrin.gif

Life is simple and sweet for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back