The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jun 25, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #3,976 of 5,308
7 years of hardware support.. perhaps.. you can't get an NW-ZX1 genuine battery now it is 8 years old, but software support for the ZX1 was non-existent!
Doesn’t mean you can’t ask

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3,978 of 5,308
But is it about Sony or Android?
I have no reason to believe android as an OS will die in 2-3 years or maybe even 7-8 years. Neither will Sony. Software support can still be expected for the new players but I don't think you can expect a lot. Sony after all firmly believes in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Android in a player is a very polarising subject. One camp needs streaming so they need to have android in order to have TIDAL, Apple Music, Qobuz etc. Then you have people like myself and many others on this thread, who have massive offline libraries. We don't need android and some of us will even go as far to say that android is more of a hindrance to music playback while creating a security concern.

As for myself, considering the fact that I already use an android phone, I don't see android as a hindrance but I would find it annoying to have to setup yet another android device to playback music.

Jun 25, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,979 of 5,308
I am sure people on headfi could do battery replacement.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #3,980 of 5,308
I have no reason to believe android as an OS will die in 2-3 years or maybe even 7-8 years. Neither will Sony. Software support can still be expected for the new players but I don't think you can expect a lot. Sony after all firmly believes in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Android in a player is a very polarising subject. One camp needs streaming so they need to have android in order to have TIDAL, Apple Music, Qobuz etc. Then you have people like myself and many others on this thread, who have massive offline libraries. We don't need android and some of us will even go as far to say that android is more of a hindrance to music playback while creating a security concern.

As for myself, considering the fact that I already use an android phone, I don't see android as a hindrance but I would find it annoying to have to setup yet another android device to playback music.
I had android phones in the past and the Samsung device was supported for 3 years. After that I stopped receiving updates and now the device is useless because it can’t update app like Spotify, Qobuz etc. my fear is that the android MK2 will stop being supported and at the end will be useless as a streaming DAP. From the other hand the MK1 was, is and will be here for years and years to come as long as the battery is OK.

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #3,981 of 5,308
I had android phones in the past and the Samsung device was supported for 3 years. After that I stopped receiving updates and now the device is useless because it can’t update app like Spotify, Qobuz etc. my fear is that the android MK2 will stop being supported and at the end will be useless as a streaming DAP. From the other hand the MK1 was, is and will be here for years and years to come as long as the battery is OK.
Well, the Mk1 already can't stream... the worst that could happen is the Mk2 becoming a standalone player without streaming just like the Mk1, if apps can no longer run on it in the far future.

Tidal and Qobuz supports Android 6 and up.
Apple Music, Amazon Music and Spotify supports Android 5 and up. (Thanks @rlw6534)

Android 5 came in end 2014. Mk2 is on Android 11...

That helped me make up my mind. And nothing stopping me from using it offline as a standalone player at any point of time.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 4:53 AM Post #3,982 of 5,308
Well, the Mk1 already can't stream... the worst that could happen is the Mk2 becoming a standalone player without streaming just like the Mk1, if apps can no longer run on it in the far future.

Tidal supports Android 6 and up.
Apple Music and Spotify Android 5 and up.

Android 5 came in end 2014. Mk2 is on Android 11...

That helped me make up my mind. And nothing stopping me from using it offline as a standalone player at any point of time.
Fair points. For me the android is the only reason I am not buying the MK2 player. It’s just too expensive for a device that at some point will become redundant from its original intention and user case

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #3,983 of 5,308
Tidal supports Android 6 and up.
Apple Music and Spotify Android 5 and up.
Just to add:

Qobuz is Android 6 and up
Amazon Music is Android 5 and up.

The sore spot right now is Android 5, like my A&K SR15 and FiiO X7ii.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,984 of 5,308
Thinking of buying a spare battery for my wm1a , so let me ask you people - can you buy a wm1a battery replacement in EU ?

do we have a link available ?

Jun 27, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,986 of 5,308
Jun 27, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,987 of 5,308
They only sell to businesses not to private people.

I know Nayparm buys his batteries in China and that it is a nightmare as more often than not what gets delivered does not meet the promissed specs.

He ordered me a stock Sony battery along with screen when he repaired mine. I didn't want an upgraded battery as I was selling the 1A

Jun 27, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #3,988 of 5,308
They only sell to businesses not to private people.

I know Nayparm buys his batteries in China and that it is a nightmare as more often than not what gets delivered does not meet the promissed specs.

well it says here though

Are you an End User/Consumer?​

Please contact us at sales@eet.eu to be referred to a dealer

Jun 27, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,989 of 5,308
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #3,990 of 5,308
Thinking of buying a spare battery for my wm1a , so let me ask you people - can you buy a wm1a battery replacement in EU ?

do we have a link available ?
Just reach out when the time comes brother. We'll have it figured :) Battery isn't so important, more the controller board which just needs to be moved to the new battery. WM1A/Z was designed to last :)

No point to buy a spare battery as it will age even if stored in optimal conditions. By the time your 1A's battery dies every chance there will be a far better options as battery tech in big news...

Q-6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back