The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Jun 5, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,471 of 5,313
Predictably... And sad. Do you think there will be online announcements, substituting, if only poorly, for the show?
I hope soby announces somwthing despite the ahow not taking place

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,473 of 5,313
the usb thing is just a great option on the wm1a

lovely little player , this one

Jun 5, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #1,474 of 5,313
It was recommended to me to use 100-120 volume when feeding an amp using the 3.5mm, it might be that your older home theatre amp doesn't have a great headphone output.
I was in your situation just using a Walkman but after getting a really low priced second hand MDR-Z1R I went looking for a desktop offering a step up in sound. I tried amping using the 3.5mm out to RCA but didn't feel satisfied with what I heard so decided if I had to spend more for a better amp l would get an amp/dac.
You seem to have a lot of Sony gear so if you can get the TA-ZH1ES it can be a good pairing as Sony gear generally have good synergy, this was one of the reasons why I eventually got one. If your budget doesn't go that far there are other options either using your 1A's 3.5mm output and amping or as a transport and having the desktop dac just reading the files from it using USB. Other daps can offer proper line out or may have other digital output options but if you like your 1A you can get by with it.
Thanks for sharing your experience and for giving advice! When trying amping through the 3.5 jack I had the same experience you describe: not impressed with what I heard and needed to go to 100 in volume in the wm1a and almost to full volume in the external amp. Of course, it's not an audiophile kind of amp, I was just trying to put the home theater to use and enjoy some casual listening. But, as it usually happens, I was stung with curiosity to try a desktop set up. As you correctly guessed, I do have quite a few Sony audio devices... It's a mix of being generally satisfied with the experience the brand offers (especially with the latest Walkman) and the scarcity of options in my country. There's some less mainstream stuff available, but it's way too expensive, due to high import duties as well as overcharging by the few audio stores that carry more stuff. But, as you said, I'd to take advantage of what I have and exploit synergies. I'll definitely look into the TA-ZH1ES and see if I can find one at a reasonable price around here. In the future, I'd love to purchase some gear from other brands, just for the sake of trying different flavors. This hobby is a one way trip, I guess. :)
One again, thanks a lot!

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #1,475 of 5,313
I second the second suggestion of the TA as a pathway to improvement. It’s hard to quantify the actual % of improvement? But as I have it set-up it gets me the involvement I’m looking for.

How does it differ from the Walkman DAP? It is a lower soundstage increase as well as a new level of treble sparkle that just seems to increase the coherence and fullness? How? Why? Just better control over the driver of the MDR-Z1R. It’s tighter and fuller, with increased bass presentation and detail. There is so much more too, but I can’t put in into words? I could but it would be rambling! Lol

Could you do better than the TA? It’s been 10 years since I have had my WA 5LE with me. It is many a favorite with the MDR-Z1R. Basically it’s a tube amp that has way more power than the TA. It’s a tube amp that offers a SS style of sound. It is warm but not totally overdone. So with the TA I feel there is a really small place where the damping factor could be improved. At the same time, I just don’t know as I really haven’t used vary many amps with the MDR-Z1R. The other choice is the DMP-Z1, maybe that improves?

I mean the TA is expensive. In that price range there is so many that you can choose from. It’s not going to be until a year later, that I have the Woo 5 LE. I have it in storage. But plans are to use the TA as a DAC to the Woo 5 LE. Will I like it? Time will tell?

In the mean time if you just wanted a quick purchase to increase the feeling of resolution and detail from the MDR-Z1R, the TA is an easy choice. It was made for the combo to work together. Is it perfect? I don’t know. I haven’t tried enough stuff.

But I can tell you that you can add a small amount of extras to enhance the experience. The Kimber cable, The Cradle and the AQCarbon USB as the extra smallest area of added stuff. Is all that going to get you to a place where your without want? I think so!

Also there is an added dependability with SS amps. You just turn them on and they work. I have a total of 12 tubes for the Woo 5 LE. 6 original tubes and 6 new tubes. Also sadly I can’t use the 4.4mm balanced cable with the Woo 5 LE. But those tubes offer a way to change the sound. You have to wait 1/2 hour till the Woo warms up. And it’s not really good for IEMs. Where the TA is instant on. It has many extras which are phenomenal like DSD remastering. DSEE HX which adds, and DC Phase Linearizer which I explain in the TA review I just wrote.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/woo-audio-wa5-le.11974/reviews#review-5097
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-ta-zh1es.22253/reviews#review-25441
Thanks for all the insights and advice. It's very useful! I know it's hard to put into words the subjective experience of audio... But I get your point regarding the TA-ZH1ES and the improvements it may bring to the table when compared to just using the WM1A. Of course, I'd love to have a different experience that with the Walkman if I make the investment, but it's more about having a good stationary set up. I don't have hard-to-drive cans now, but having an alternative set up with more power gives the option of getting different cans in the future... Also, I'd need to invest in some speakers to take advantage of it.
I've seen that quite a bit few people have had good experiences with the cradle. Not sure if I'll be able to get it in my country (there's a Sony store, but it carries a limited selection of stuff, I got the WM1A in a sale there, but no accessories... Import restrictions, crazy exchange rates and import duties make this hobby rather hard).
So DMP-Z1 is off limits. :)
Never tried a tube amp like the Woo... Would love to. Guess it's just not the right time for me now. Thanks for the link to your review of TA-ZH1ES... Will read it!
Enjoy!

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #1,476 of 5,313
Thanks for sharing your experience and for giving advice! When trying amping through the 3.5 jack I had the same experience you describe: not impressed with what I heard and needed to go to 100 in volume in the wm1a and almost to full volume in the external amp. Of course, it's not an audiophile kind of amp, I was just trying to put the home theater to use and enjoy some casual listening. But, as it usually happens, I was stung with curiosity to try a desktop set up. As you correctly guessed, I do have quite a few Sony audio devices... It's a mix of being generally satisfied with the experience the brand offers (especially with the latest Walkman) and the scarcity of options in my country. There's some less mainstream stuff available, but it's way too expensive, due to high import duties as well as overcharging by the few audio stores that carry more stuff. But, as you said, I'd to take advantage of what I have and exploit synergies. I'll definitely look into the TA-ZH1ES and see if I can find one at a reasonable price around here. In the future, I'd love to purchase some gear from other brands, just for the sake of trying different flavors. This hobby is a one way trip, I guess. :)
One again, thanks a lot!
You're welcome.
There is a decent range of audio gear in my country but like you comparing to overseas the pricing is a lot higher, we have a Sony shop but they have downscaled over the years to the consumer stuff. I've always had Sony Walkmans, TVs and stereos since the 80s so have had a tendency to buy their products but after joining here and seeing so many different brands I went through a period of trying some other offerings but eventually found that Sony catered for my needs and tastes the best so I'm pretty much Sony all the way, just need the t-shirt.
The WM1A, especially with the custom firmwares is very satisfying but I am completely and utterly happy with my recent purchase of the TA-ZH1ES, it is a nice step up. A year ago I had sold myself on a simple set up with my 1A and iems but re-evaluated things and decided to go for a desktop offering a step up in components and output power.
I'm not pushing you to buy the TA-ZH1ES, I'm just sharing my satisfaction after trying a few different options and finding the TA-ZH1ES complimenting my IER-Z1R and MDR-Z1R very well - the soundstage is very good and was something I hadn't experienced with others I had tried.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #1,477 of 5,313
I'm gonna start making more, maybe a WM to USB-C. Hopefully those will work. This works fine now with the adapter as well, even on DAC.
Hello. Any chance that you can make an extra short version to use it with an iPhone camera adapter. I understand that the iPhone does not work well with a DAC w/o that USB adapter.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,478 of 5,313
Does WM1A/Z walkman's DAC mode work with latest M1 macbooks (those ones with USB-C only ports and mac os x 11 "Big Sur")?
I am asking because the DAC mode in my walkman works fine with my 2010 macbook pro running mac os x 10.11 "El Capitan", but is doesn't work with my 2017 macbook air running mac os x 10.15 "Catalina". It used to work with mac os x 10.14 "Mojave", but since I updated to "Catalina", it doesn't, so I wonder if Apple made a change in "Catalina" that will break the DAC mode going forware (I can't update it to the lastest "Big Sur" just yet).
Hello, I use the 1Z with Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) on an intel Mac.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,479 of 5,313
Is the Sennheiser HD660S a good match for the Sony NW-WM1A?
I like the combination (balanced out), but you might have to move to hi-gain.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,480 of 5,313
Hello. Any chance that you can make an extra short version to use it with an iPhone camera adapter. I understand that the iPhone does not work well with a DAC w/o that USB adapter.
That might be difficult for me because I don't use Apple. If I assume correctly, you want a short WM port to USB cable to connect that to the iPhone adapter (the one with both USB and lighting port)?

Either way, it really depends on the interior of the cable to my beginner knowledge. I found that the WM cable has 4 wires inside, just as a reference if you want to make your own and test it out.

If you're asking to make WM -> lighting then it's way above my head. As I remember, you'd need some sort of certification for Apple lighting compatibility.

Just for funsies, I do have a spare lighting cable from when I used to use iPhone. Maybe I can slice that up and see if it works. I highly doubt it works though. Plus, I don't have an iphone to test it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #1,481 of 5,313
If you're asking to make WM -> lighting then it's way above my head. As I remember, you'd need some sort of certification for Apple lighting compatibility.
A short WM cable and then the USB camera adaptor (USB to lighting) is the safest way.

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,482 of 5,313

That might be difficult for me because I don't use Apple. If I assume correctly, you want a short WM port to USB cable to connect that to the iPhone adapter (the one with both USB and lighting port)?

Either way, it really depends on the interior of the cable to my beginner knowledge. I found that the WM cable has 4 wires inside, just as a reference if you want to make your own and test it out.

Just for funsies, I do have a spare lighting cable from when I used to use iPhone. Maybe I can slice that up and see if it works. I highly doubt it works though. Plus, I don't have an iphone to test it.

A short WM cable and then the USB camera adaptor (USB to lighting) is the safest way.

I would assume a WM connector on one end and a male USB on the other end. Then it would connect to the USB end of the iphone camera adapter.

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #1,483 of 5,313
I have joined the 1A gang as have just got a hold of a used unit.
Mr Walkman custom firmware is now calling me

Jun 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,484 of 5,313
Congratulations! Welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back