The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
May 20, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #1,366 of 5,313
I’m looking forward to being able to get lossless audio from Apple Music through the DAC. I know tidal exists but I’m not a fan and I already pay for Apple One for the many other services it provides so it’s a great free bonus.
Take note that every source through the DAC sounds different. I even stacked my 1A to the 1Z with the USB adapter and regular cable. Though it is directional. So even though the cable you created hooks to the players in both directions, it only lets one be a file server to the other, one direction. But each source I find is different sounding with FLAC files. I’m not sure about hooking a Apple Device, other than a laptop? But I do find each and every program I use to the 1A DAC to have a different sound. I use Colibri as a FLAC player to the 1A DAC with an Apple laptop. Though there is also Foobar2000 for Apple laptops as well of course iTunes. I am going to try Apple streaming too once it’s up. The question is how will it be implemented. There is a priority mode where you are not disturbed by other functions. Actually that is what Colibri does, is it shows your usage of computer.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #1,367 of 5,313
There is about a 1 second lag in DAC mode. Though a player like VLC lets you sync the video even in DAC mode so the vocals are fine. You adjust the lip-sync when the movie is playing.
Not a problem while playing movies and such, but it's a pain to adjust the sync whenever I use DAC function, even though I don't use it that much.

I've never used the dac function and in the past opted for more powerful portable dac amps with more input options, probably the lag was another motivation too. I've only recently adopted bluetooth for convenience with movies/YouTube etc.
If I can get my Bluetooth connecting I'll give it a go one day.
For most of the time, I listen to music via the DAP since I don't want to touch the phone. But there's time I wanna watch Youtube or movie (especially those with wonderful soundtrack) so BT stream has been a blast. For some reason my desktop BT doesn't seem to work, probably need to check some driver or hardware issue, but abandoning the DAC and opting for BT would solve both of my problems (delay issue and wireless).

May 21, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #1,368 of 5,313
Here is a review where I reference three Sony headphones along with their use. I’m using the 1A,1Z and TA.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sony-mdr-z1r.21971/reviews#review-21989
82964588-F0C3-40AC-B704-ED22A34A951F.jpeg

1ABEEFDB-365E-4B0B-962F-7A555013223A.jpeg

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #1,369 of 5,313
Then the Sax kicks in...
600x600bb.jpg

DMP-WM FEv2 custom firmware for WM1A/Z.

Q-6

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #1,370 of 5,313
I reverted again back to stock and tried bluetooth pairing but it still doesn't show up on 3.02, odd that the bluetooth remote works ok.
Perhaps a factory reset might fix it but I actually value the hours played info more, no biggie as I couldn't achieve what I wanted anyway.
As the Walkmans generally seem to have outstanding build quality I am wondering if it is to do with many firmware changes, as not everyone may use the bluetooth features not everyone may be aware if the issue exists.

May 21, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #1,371 of 5,313
ahhhh.....I seemed to have misunderstood the settings - I was going into the bluetooth menu settings and trying to create a connection from there.
I just realised that to use the bluetooth receiver function it is activated from the main menu, ROOKIE!
Apologies for the goof and thanks again for the input.
I'll lay low for a while
:sweat:

May 21, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #1,372 of 5,313
Every time I see the title of this thread I think "Sony announced new 1Z/1A?!?!" lol

May 21, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #1,373 of 5,313
Every time I see the title of this thread I think "Sony announced new 1Z/1A?!?!" lol
I'd like to see that, but with a way better implementation of Android than ZX507. Keep the battery, ease of use, and add on Android + USB C + fix the DAC latency would make this unbeatable. Oh, having an upgrade amp and dac wouldn't hurt either, not like it sound bad now. I've always wondered how they would top WM1A/Z.

May 21, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,374 of 5,313
Yes, I’m responsible for that. But.....it was needed as the over 45K plus page old location was not open for further replies. It needed something to separate it from the old thread.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,375 of 5,313
Yes, I’m responsible for that. But.....it was needed as the over 45K plus page old location was not open for further replies. It needed something to separate it from the old thread.
Maybe title it the same as the last one with "continued" on the end of the title or maybe "volume II".

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,376 of 5,313
No, I think I read something about Bluetooth issues with Midnight, it’s the sending of Bluetooth I think? But with regular software as well as many of the firmwares out there you’ll be ok? I never send Bluetooth out of my player.

Now you will not be able ever to use the Walkmans as a Bluetooth receiver with the TA. When the Walkmans are in USB mode then Bluetooth is disabled. You may find some type of Bluetooth receiver for the TA? Still it is questionable the level of quality the Bluetooth signal is with aftermarket gear. The Walkman will be the best playing from onboard files.

Still what many of us are concerned with is getting the best possible sound from the TA and the Walkmans. The way to do that is to connect the Walkmans to the Cradle and use a USB cable to get digital to the TA. I use a AQCarbon USB cable. I feel that is the best way to do it. Also using the adapter to go USB to the rear gets a slightly better bit-rate on one bitrate level over the side connection. Still the side connection is great for most uses.
I was lucky enough to get a used cradle for a great price, and I went with your recommendation for the Audioquest Carbon when I owned the RME.
I currently have my PC hooked up to it as I am still in the early days of randomly trying different tracks and albums and I find it quicker and easier navigating using Foobar than the Walkman. When I settle in a bit more I'll switch to the cradle/Walkman.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #1,377 of 5,313
Save your $$$$ with @MrWalkman custom firmware the WM1A is easily 90% the same as the WM1Z, unless you just want that big copper block in the hand :) The sonic differences between the two players has never added up, as the changes in hardware are minimal. Now it's confirmed as predominantly being a different tuning profile applied in software. @MrWalkman Chameleon 2.0 custom firmware allows the user to load both WM1A stock & WM1Z stock unmodified Sony firmware on either player...

Just updating your WM1A to Sony 3.01 or 3.02 will be a revelation to what you currently have, let alone the likes of custom firmware such as DMP-WM FEv2 which takes the WM1A way above anything Sony offers and many others for that matter, other than the DMP-Z1 itself. The 1A/1Z can now take advantage of the DMP-Z1 tuning profile which easily exceeds the stock WM1Z by a wide margin. Doubts? ask the guy's with access to the DMP-Z1.

screenshot_20210520_202626502.png
Wanna do it right, you can :) Your coin, your call...

Q-6
I have really enjoyed 1.20 over the years. How do 3.01 and 3.02 differ?

May 21, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,379 of 5,313
I have really enjoyed 1.20 over the years. How do 3.01 and 3.02 differ?
3.01 bass is stronger, 3.02 is more balanced with a wider more holographic presentation. With both you'll also get more and improved DSP features versus 1.20. With the WM1A you can upgrade and downgrade as you please. Sony has no restrictions in place, so there's no reasons why not to try :)

Q-6

May 22, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,380 of 5,313
Save your $$$$ with @MrWalkman custom firmware the WM1A is easily 90% the same as the WM1Z, unless you just want that big copper block in the hand :) The sonic differences between the two players has never added up, as the changes in hardware are minimal. Now it's confirmed as predominantly being a different tuning profile applied in software. @MrWalkman Chameleon 2.0 custom firmware allows the user to load both WM1A stock & WM1Z stock unmodified Sony firmware on either player...

Just updating your WM1A to Sony 3.01 or 3.02 will be a revelation to what you currently have, let alone the likes of custom firmware such as DMP-WM FEv2 which takes the WM1A way above anything Sony offers and many others for that matter, other than the DMP-Z1 itself. The 1A/1Z can now take advantage of the DMP-Z1 tuning profile which easily exceeds the stock WM1Z by a wide margin. Doubts? ask the guy's with access to the DMP-Z1.

Wanna do it right, you can :) Your coin, your call...

Q-6

i am on the same CFW , this is FE v.2 , right ?

I continue to be amazed by the number of hours some of y'all have on your WM1A's. Damn, Sony showing it can build stuff for the long haul.

6000 hours and counting, yes sir :xf_cool:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back