The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Sep 27, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #2,296 of 5,313
does anyone with both a wm1a and a55 find the single ended outputs are not the same loudness at a given volume level? I am running mrwalkman's walkman one firmware on both and find the a55 single ended output seems to be maybe 10 'units' of volume louder than my wm1a using at the same volume level (ex 30 volume on A55 sounds like 40 volume on WM1A). is that normal?

as an aside, this DAP pairing is so good if you don't need to stream! complementary form factors for travel and home
Is it perhaps because they have different power output rating so they don't volume match? I don't understand what the gain settings in the firmwares do but are the gain settings differing on each devices firmware?

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #2,297 of 5,313
And what are 90-95% anyway? On what scale and in what terms?
I agree, at the end of the day, the listening tests are mostly impressions, and we tend to justify our decisions.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #2,298 of 5,313
Is it perhaps because they have different power output rating so they don't volume match? I don't understand what the gain settings in the firmwares do but are the gain settings differing on each devices firmware?
true, but i would've expected the wm1a to sound louder at a given volume than the a55. i think the gain settings are the same, but im not sure what the actual effect would be. really bizarre but harmless i guess

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,299 of 5,313
It's a 1Z. Nayparm built it, the only part of it that's a 1A is the chassis.

Edit: @MrWalkman attached photo for proofs

Ah, got it!

By the way, there's a newer firmware released, which includes Dawn, as well as 3 other sound signatures that can be switched without needing to revert back to the stock firmware. If you decide to give it a try,

@Quadfather I really hope you manage to give a try to the WM1Z sound signature on your 1A before buying a WM1Z. The change is real, and big.

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,300 of 5,313
How do I prevent this from happening?
Is there a way to permanently attach these earbuds to the cable… this is the worse design ever… it keeps falling off when I put it in my bag or pocket… I just lost this ear piece… you’re looking at the replacement…
7BEAFDD1-84A3-452B-AC89-557019D52A77.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #2,301 of 5,313
Is there a way to permanently attach these earbuds to the cable… this is the worse design ever… it keeps falling off when I put it in my bag or pocket… I just lost this ear piece… you’re looking at the replacement…
I’m so sorry to see this. They are delicate, that’s why I leave mine at home only. Not much you can do to repair this, I think. If you really love the sound of the N3 maybe there would be a way to tape them together so that weak point is not stressed. Of course you may want to try other IEMs now? What do you mean “the replacement”....this happened twice?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #2,302 of 5,313
I’m so sorry to see this. They are delicate, that’s why I leave mine at home only. Not much you can do to repair this, I think. If you really love the sound of the N3 maybe there would be a way to tape them together so that weak point is not stressed. Of course you may want to try other IEMs now? What do you mean “the replacement”....this happened twice?
I lost my original one… so I’m using my
backup that is what I mean by replacement…. I was thinking of taping it…. Thanks

Sep 30, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #2,303 of 5,313
I lost my original one… so I’m using my
backup that is what I mean by replacement…. I was thinking of taping it…. Thanks
Also though I think that’s history, so? Your going to maybe have to buy another pair?

Edit:
On a positive note, you’ll have a back-up if it ever happens again to the other side.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,304 of 5,313
It was stunning. I went back to listen to it several times (and people were starting to call me out... "you again?!"). Until today, I was always thinking it's likely just a small incremental improvement over the WM1Z but that's not true at all... at least not when paired with my IER-Z1Rs and the 1950s cable.
Do you feel a much quiet background and better soundstage as compare with WM1Z? Vocal is more magnetic also. This is my feeling with these two gears.

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,305 of 5,313
If you have patience and a steady hand you can very slightly open up the gap between the quadrants of the MMCX connector on the cable end with a scalpel/razor blade. This will increase the tension of the snap fit of the MMCX connection. You don't want to over do it or removing the cable will be difficult. I did the same with my own set of XBA-N3 as the connection became weak after a few cable changes.
1633010540139.png

Q-6

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,306 of 5,313
If you have patience and a steady hand you can very slightly open up the gap between the quadrants of the MMCX connector on the cable end with a scalpel/razor blade. This will increase the tension of the snap fit of the MMCX connection. You don't want to over do it or removing the cable will be difficult. I did the same with my own set of XBA-N3 as the connection became weak after a few cable changes.

Q-6

My Sony MMCX connectors are a bit different in that there are no slits in the tip of the plug. I just use the tip of a small screwdriver to expand the collar. These are stock N3 cables below:

C5D1738C-7004-4760-B8CD-15BD85657E25_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #2,307 of 5,313
Do you feel a much quiet background and better soundstage as compare with WM1Z? Vocal is more magnetic also. This is my feeling with these two gears.

I did, as well as much better punch to the low end (with my IER-Z1R). The dynamic range felt much improved, especially on older tracks that weren't necessarily mastered all that great.

I am fairly confident I will be purchasing one in the future. :D

Sep 30, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,308 of 5,313
My Sony MMCX connectors are a bit different in that there are no slits in the tip of the plug. I just use the tip of a small screwdriver to expand the collar. These are stock N3 cables below:
Mine was stock cables, image is just the standard MMCX. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony uses both, cant remember if was the supplied cable or Sony's Kimber Kable. Just looked at the kimber Kable and it has the same type of MMCX connector as yours with the swivel. Potentially It may have been another cable entirely, bottom line is irrespective of type you can increase the tension with a little care.

Q-6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back