The connection between DAP and Earphones, in sound quality?
Nov 8, 2015 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

vickie2006

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, i'm asking this question, after i watched video in Youtube, that a guy say that your device need to be close to the price of your earphones, otherwise, it's useless to buy expensive earphones, because you will get the same sound quality with cheap earphones in the DAP price range.

After my Sansa clip + found his death in a washing machine, i bought Agptek (Ruizu X02) mp3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGPtEK-70-Hours-Playback-MP3-Lossless-Sound-Portable-Audio-Music-Players-8GB-/261933266704?var=&hash=item3cfc707710:m:mSG5RvEPdUMZoZZGSa462mg

So i want to ask,if i will get them same sound quality with for example Xiaomi Pitson 3 (15$) and my RHA MA750 on my new mp3.
Because as he tells, it's useless to buy expensive earphones if you doesn't have worthy DAP.

Sorry for my bad English and my ignorant.
Thanks for your help. 
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 20
I dunno man. Not long ago, I use a dunu dn2000 into my ihifi 770 dap (just to test the waters). I actually found that at times I prefer sound off of my galaxy s4 (via Noozy player).

The easy answer from my experience is ymmv. What made the bigger difference is throwing in an amp for my hybrid (my original setup had a mismatch in impedance but I was equally curious in seeing what an above average amp would do), and my Alo Rx amp just scaled the SQ to new levels.

I actually wanted to start a thread on things that can make a big difference to the sound quality that you pay for. I'd say is closer to the following:

Iem>eartips>amp>=decent quality music files>source/dap.

Recorded music all have different quality on the way they are recorded as well.

I'm curious as to what others have to say too.

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 20
I dunno man. Not long ago, I use a dunu dn2000 into my ihifi 770 dap (just to test the waters). I actually found that at times I prefer sound off of my galaxy s4 (via Noozy player).

The easy answer from my experience is ymmv. What made the bigger difference is throwing in an amp for my hybrid (my original setup had a mismatch in impedance but I was equally curious in seeing what an above average amp would do), and my Alo Rx amp just scaled the SQ to new levels.

I actually wanted to start a thread on things that can make a big difference to the sound quality that you pay for. I'd say is closer to the following:

Iem>eartips>amp>=decent quality music files>source/dap.

Recorded music all have different quality on the way they are recorded as well.

I'm curious as to what others have to say too.

Thanks man, for your reply.
Yea i curious too, Because if that connection right, that really Sucks, i bought  100$+ earphones.

Serious dude, people laugh at me that i bought so expensive earphones, and i tell them it's the build and sound quality.

I will don't pay 120$ for another dap...

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 20
Don't buy a dap unless you know what your getting into lol. That said, a proper setup will make your iems really sing!

If you have doubts about your iem (least likely lol), I highly recommend the dunu titan series and be done with it, before you plunge into the dark rabbit hole lol

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 20
Man, read what i wrote, i have IEM already RHA MA750, if you know this company.
They are awesome, i bought this iem because of there sound and build quality.

And i were posting before i bought them, i think 2 post in Head-FI with 20+ hours of reading reviews and doing research about them.
THEY ARE AWESOME.
I didn't just spend money like a monkey for such expensive earphones.

I know they have very good performance, and i want to know how i can get the maximum performance of them,only if i'm using a DAP player in there pricing range.

Meanwhile I didn't used the Ruizu player that i bought, But when i will use it i want to know if i can get more of my earphones, or there isn't difference between them,
and for example with xiaomi pitson 3 earphones, that they are close to the mp4 in the price range.
_________

Please people more suggestion?

Nov 8, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 20
Yeah, I've read enough about the ma750s. What is your source for music? Your iPhone? Instead of buying a DAP, maybe you can buy a DAC(with amp)? FIIO makes some decent ones. There's tons of other that's out there.

You also need to figure what you're looking for to be exact before investing into other gear. I don't think it's a day and difference in the lower budget...the opposite can also be true, where you wouldn't even need to spend that much to get a good sound.

What's the language you speak?if you speak French, then you're in luck.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 20
  Hello everyone, I'm asking this question, after i watched video in Youtube, that a guy say that your device need to be close to the price of your earphones, otherwise, it's useless to buy expensive earphones, because you will get the same sound quality with cheap earphones in the DAP price range.

After my Sansa clip + found his death in a washing machine, i bought Agptek (Ruizu X02) mp3: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AGPtEK-70-Hours-Playback-MP3-Lossless-Sound-Portable-Audio-Music-Players-8GB-/261933266704?var=&hash=item3cfc707710:m:mSG5RvEPdUMZoZZGSa462mg

So i want to ask,if i will get them same sound quality with for example Xiaomi Pitson 3 (15$) and my RHA MA750 on my new mp3.
Because as he tells, it's useless to buy expensive earphones if you doesn't have worthy DAP.

Sorry for my bad English and my ignorant.
Thanks for your help. 
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

If your only willing to budget $26 for an mp3 player, then why would you be willing to spend a lot for headphones anyway?
If your not willing to budget for a $45 Clip + or Clip Zip or $50 for a used Sony NMZ-3XX mp3 player, can't see where the money is in your audio budget for higher priced ($100+) headphones?

I going to guess no matter how careful you are with the Agptek Ruizu X02, it not going to stay functional for very long
and you will just end up having to buy another mp3 player.anyway.

I have the Sony NWZ-465 and NWZ-E474 mp3 players and I'm fairly happy with them
and you can usually find them used for $50 on eBay.

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 20

If your only willing to budget $26 for an mp3 player, then why would you be willing to spend a lot for headphones anyway?
If your not willing to budget for a $45 Clip + or Clip Zip or $50 for a used Sony NMZ-3XX mp3 player, can't see where the money is in your audio budget for higher priced ($100+) headphones?

I going to guess no matter how careful you are with the Agptek Ruizu X02, it not going to stay functional for very long
and you will just end up having to buy another mp3 player.anyway.

I have the Sony NWZ-465 and NWZ-E474 mp3 players and I'm fairly happy with them
and you can usually find them used for $50 on eBay.

Hey man and thanks for your reply.
Don't know dude, i bought the agptek mp4 because of his price and high quality, i had sansa clip+., in the past, but his battary, is so short...

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 20
Yeah, I've read enough about the ma750s. What is your source for music? Your iPhone? Instead of buying a DAP, maybe you can buy a DAC(with amp)? FIIO makes some decent ones. There's tons of other that's out there.

You also need to figure what you're looking for to be exact before investing into other gear. I don't think it's a day and difference in the lower budget...the opposite can also be true, where you wouldn't even need to spend that much to get a good sound.

What's the language you speak?if you speak French, then you're in luck.

Thanks for your reply, i didn't saw you also comment.

I don't have smartphone, my phone is nokia c2-01, old but masterpiece, doesn't need more then that.
Before i bought Agptek mp4, i read reviews and tried to find mp3 without breaking again my pocket after i bought the ma750, I didn't know the strong connection between the DAP and the IEM, so i bought because it's cheap and as the reviews it's high quality.

My last DAP was sansa clip+ with VSonic gr06 earphones, the cost the same, and it quality doesn't much difference between my old nokia.
Never try them with the RHA, because they were found dead in the washing machine.
I'm not specificated with my music, I really like music with nice bass, Can't tell more then that.

In conclusion this mp4 isn't cheap, it doesn't known brand like sandisk or fiio, and that make it more cheaper.
So i really want to understand, if i want to get the highest performance, i have to buy DAP in the same price as my RHA.

Thanks for your help :)

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 20
Thanks for your reply, i didn't saw you also comment.

I don't have smartphone, my phone is nokia c2-01, old but masterpiece, doesn't need more then that.

Before i bought Agptek mp4, i read reviews and tried to find mp3 without breaking again my pocket after i bought the ma750, I didn't know the strong connection between the DAP and the IEM, so i bought because it's cheap and as the reviews it's high quality.

My last DAP was sansa clip+ with VSonic gr06 earphones, the cost the same, and it quality doesn't much difference between my old nokia.

Never try them with the RHA, because they were found dead in the washing machine.

I'm not specificated with my music, I really like music with nice bass, Can't tell more then that.

In conclusion this mp4 isn't cheap, it doesn't known brand like sandisk or fiio, and that make it more cheaper.

So i really want to understand, if i want to get the highest performance, i have to buy DAP in the same price as my RHA.

Thanks for your help :)

I don't believe in matching dollar per dollar when buying iems and DAP. I myself am running a 270$ hybrid into a 140$ DAP. At times, I get the simplest joy plugging my dunu titan into my smartphone. I'd be happy with any reasonable DAP between a hundred and 300$. You have some reasonably good options at the 100$ price tag - ihifi 770 and the xduoo x3.

Then later you can save a 300$ amp! :wink:

Nov 10, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 20
I don't believe in matching dollar per dollar when buying iems and DAP. I myself am running a 270$ hybrid into a 140$ DAP. At times, I get the simplest joy plugging my dunu titan into my smartphone. I'd be happy with any reasonable DAP between a hundred and 300$. You have some reasonably good options at the 100$ price tag - ihifi 770 and the xduoo x3.

Then later you can save a 300$ amp!
wink.gif

... Lets say my price tag more close to 50$, more then that for my usage it's little bit crazy, But for real there are big difference in the performance between for example the sansa clip+, ihifi 770 and FiiO E17.

Really if the price is growing the quality will be better?
Tell you the truth i just hearing mp3 or WMA type songs, and less using flac type files.

So you really think if i run in my AGPTEK MP4 mp3 file, and then run it on ihifi 770, they will be bigger differences?

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 20
... Lets say my price tag more close to 50$, more then that for my usage it's little bit crazy, But for real there are big difference in the performance between for example the sansa clip+, ihifi 770 and FiiO E17.

Really if the price is growing the quality will be better?

Tell you the truth i just hearing mp3 or WMA type songs, and less using flac type files.

So you really think if i run in my AGPTEK MP4 mp3 file, and then run it on ihifi 770, they will be bigger differences?

I have a clip+. I don't use the clip ever since I have the 770. With all honesty, people still do enjoy the clip. Who knows, some people will enjoy a 300$ dap, others a 100$+ range one, and another group just want an mp3 player. Your best bet is figure out your budget and check what's in your reach. Read reviews, or check them in person. I used to use creative labs back then for mp3 players (I didn't know about head fi then), but with the current line up of earphones and daps, you can really get a good detailed sound. The 770 and xduuo X2 are well reputed around here because they sound great for the ~100$ price tag. Comparing 770 with older mp3 players, the sound is more congested (smaller Soundstage) and the 770 is unique in having two outputs for two different sound signatures.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #14 of 20
I have a clip+. I don't use the clip ever since I have the 770. With all honesty, people still do enjoy the clip. Who knows, some people will enjoy a 300$ dap, others a 100$+ range one, and another group just want an mp3 player. Your best bet is figure out your budget and check what's in your reach. Read reviews, or check them in person. I used to use creative labs back then for mp3 players (I didn't know about head fi then), but with the current line up of earphones and daps, you can really get a good detailed sound. The 770 and xduuo X2 are well reputed around here because they sound great for the ~100$ price tag. Comparing 770 with older mp3 players, the sound is more congested (smaller Soundstage) and the 770 is unique in having two outputs for two different sound signatures.

So for my RHA 750MA, the cheapest DAP that make it work full time, is 100$ DAP?
It's little bit crazy, But i find if there are dap in 100$ in sale or something.

For me it's a-lot of money, But if you are sure that there are really big difference between then, i thought about you HIFI or Fiio again, and try to find them in a nice price, because more then 60$,
it's little bit expensive, I'm not a musician, i am just a guy who want to hear music in high quality, and still not break my wallet.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 20
Look around at the For Sale forums. Try your luck at the 770 thread :) - right now, some 770C owners are expressing dissatisfaction on their dap. Tell them you're interested in buying 2nd hand. You might get it for 50$ maybe even less! :) good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back