The Compass Thread (New)
Jun 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #196 of 981
BOTH !
tongue.gif
but i repeat, none of that occurs when it's set to usb (even if there are no cables connected except the power cable ) or super mode

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #197 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO the Compass by itself is already pretty bassy so the sound becomes too muddy for me if using the Moon HDAM. Perhaps this is headphone sensitive too though.

Probably. I'm using the Stax rig, which tends to feel a little bass-light on occasion.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #198 of 981
OMG my name is on the Delivery Notice page! Cannot wait! I been messing around with Jack in ubuntu, and while I'm not sure if its bit perfect or not I'm excited to see what I'll hear. I'm using my Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit right now, and though its better than my onboard sound I'm not completely satisfied through my Denon's. I always been pretty satisfied with the Grado's though. We'll see!!!

edit: oh, and wholly smokes what a large shipment they had! Business is booming I suppose.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #199 of 981
if I understand the diagram shown in the Introduction to the Compass DAC and Headphone amplifier article, I should be able to use the Compass DAC with another amplifier by using the preamp switch (on) connecting another amplifier via the pre-amp jacks. Is that correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...... I'm using the Stax rig, which tends to feel a little bass-light on occasion.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

I have the same Stax rig you have coming to me in a couple of days. Did you connect it to the compass in the way I described it above?
I have the Compass connected to my Stereo with the DAC out jacks and figured I could connect the Stax amplifier the way asked above but I am not sure.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #200 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if I understand the diagram shown in the Introduction to the Compass DAC and Headphone amplifier article, I should be able to use the Compass DAC with another amplifier by using the preamp switch (on) connecting another amplifier via the pre-amp jacks. Is that correct?

Yes, depending on the type of amplifier it breaks down like this:
  1. Connecting to a power amplifier (i.e. one without a preamp) -> use the Compass preamp out.
  2. Connecting to an integrated amplifier (i.e. one with a preamp and poweramp integrated as one amp) -> use the Compass DAC out
  3. Connecting to an integrated amplifier with an option to disconnect the preamp and power amp sections -> either use the Compass DAC out to the normal line-level inputs of the amp, or separate the preamp and poweramp sections of the amplifier and connect the Compass preamp out to the poweramp section of the amplifier. (Do whatever gives the best results.)

Hope this helps.

(And that was 1000.)

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #201 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, depending on the type of amplifier it breaks down like this:
  1. Connecting to a power amplifier (i.e. one without a preamp) -> use the Compass preamp out.
  2. Connecting to an integrated amplifier (i.e. one with a preamp and poweramp integrated as one amp) -> use the Compass DAC out
  3. Connecting to an integrated amplifier with an option to disconnect the preamp and power amp sections -> either use the Compass DAC out to the normal line-level inputs of the amp, or separate the preamp and poweramp sections of the amplifier and connect the Compass preamp out to the poweramp section of the amplifier. (Do whatever gives the best results.)

Hope this helps.

(And that was 1000.)

Thank you. That was very helpful. And congratulations on >1000!

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #203 of 981
Quote:

Originally Posted by knugge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man... do I want the Compass for my K701:s!!! It sounds like it would really suit my preferences.

Got to save some money

It probably suit your budget too ...
k701smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #204 of 981
Quote:

I have the same Stax rig you have coming to me in a couple of days. Did you connect it to the compass in the way I described it above?
I have the Compass connected to my Stereo with the DAC out jacks and figured I could connect the Stax amplifier the way asked above but I am not sure.

Mine is a little different, as it's from the first run. The "pre-production" batch. But yes, my Stax energiser is hooked up to the "DAC out" RCA sockets on the rear. My unit doesn't have the volume-controlled pre-amp outputs on the back, it just has the headphone amplifier external input on the rear.

With the "super" button pushed in, output goes from the DAC to the rear DAC out sockets. With "super" pushed out, output goes into the internal headphone amplifier, and not the DAC out.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #205 of 981
Quote:

Mine is a little different, as it's from the first run. The "pre-production" batch. But yes, my Stax energiser is hooked up to the "DAC out" RCA sockets on the rear. My unit doesn't have the volume-controlled pre-amp outputs on the back, it just has the headphone amplifier external input on the rear.

With the "super" button pushed in, output goes from the DAC to the rear DAC out sockets. With "super" pushed out, output goes into the internal headphone amplifier, and not the DAC out.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Thank you. I already have my stereo connected to the DAC out from the Compass. I though I would use the preamp line out in the rear to connect to another amplifier.

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #206 of 981
The Stax has a pass-through on one input(maybe more?), which is how I use mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Compass DAC-out --> Stax input 1
Stax input 1 passthrough --> speaker amplifier

Sorted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #207 of 981
Quote:

The Stax has a pass-through on one input(maybe more?), which is how I use mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Compass DAC-out --> Stax input 1
Stax input 1 passthrough --> speaker amplifier

Sorted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool! That sounds right. Thanks a lot!
Does the Stax need to be on in order for the Compass signal to pass through into the speaker amplifier?

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #208 of 981
anyone know normally how long does it take EMS to ship the compass from china to US west coast?

Jun 25, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #209 of 981
Quote:

Cool! That sounds right. Thanks a lot!
Does the Stax need to be on in order for the Compass signal to pass through into the speaker amplifier?

Yes it does. I've literally just checked, because I couldn't remember.
smily_headphones1.gif

This solution is likely to be better, for a number of reasons:-

1. I'm assuming that the Stax gear will be more revealing than your speakers(it's certainly more revealing than my BBC studio monitors, for what that's worth..)

2. Because of the above, the shortest cable run to it may well be the better choice.

3. I'd not advise using the Compass pre-amp in this situation- it's not required, as the Stax amp is meaty enough to power the earspeakers from a line-level source. It's an unnecessary link in the chain, and may even end up causing problems - the signal will be amplified by the DAC to line-level, then by the pre-amp, then by the Stax amp... is it even possible to overload electrostatic earspeakers? I don't know...

~Phewl.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #210 of 981
Quote:

Yes it does. I've literally just checked, because I couldn't remember.
smily_headphones1.gif

This solution is likely to be better, for a number of reasons:-

1. I'm assuming that the Stax gear will be more revealing than your speakers(it's certainly more revealing than my BBC studio monitors, for what that's worth..)

2. Because of the above, the shortest cable run to it may well be the better choice.

3. I'd not advise using the Compass pre-amp in this situation- it's not required, as the Stax amp is meaty enough to power the earspeakers from a line-level source. It's an unnecessary link in the chain, and may even end up causing problems - the signal will be amplified by the DAC to line-level, then by the pre-amp, then by the Stax amp... is it even possible to overload electrostatic earspeakers? I don't know...

~Phewl.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back