The Comfy & Unusual Suspects at $300 and Less Suggestions?
Jun 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
It may sound surprising, but I have yet to find a sound card that can drive 32 Ohm headphones without any sound quality issues. The difficulty of driving the higher impedance versions is also overhyped; a tube amplifier is not required for the 600 Ohm models, unless you want it to get a colored "tube" sound (rolled off treble, high distortion, etc.). Except for using it specifically with portable players that are really optimized for low impedance headphones, I would get a 250 Ohm version over a 32 Ohm one, and add amplification if necessary. If a computer (especially onboard) source has problems driving 250 Ohm headphones, chances are that it will not do the 32 Ohm version justice either.

Well it depends how powerful the amplification of the soundcard, a Xonar Essence STX would likely do just fine. A tube amp is certainly needed for 600Ohm, a lot of people here are running them underpowered and simply haven't heard them on a good amp. I would take a DT880/600 + OTL tube amp over a T1 + soundcard, better extension, fuller sound.

Jun 3, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

I added the SRH840/940 to the list too. Since the real thing for me is comfort, that was why I had the Beyers on there. I'm fine with the open DT880 and will see if I can try them (all of these) at a store. Right now my search is for only full-sized cans - I only use IEMs outside.

The 940's headband causes comfort issues for some people, so it's something to keep in mind.  It bothered me at first, but I adjusted and haven't had any problems in that area since.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #20 of 25
Thanks for all your help guys! I think this is my first Pro-Audio buy that I am really confident about. I went to Guitar Center today and tried out the Beyer DT 770-80, DT 880-250, Shure SRH840, and SRH940. The Beyers definitely win hands-down on the comfort front.

The 880 definitely had a more natural sound that I liked, but it definitely leaked too much outside noise in (the store was a little loud) so passed on it. It was a toss up between the SRH840 and Beyer DT 770, but the DT 770 cable wasn't my favorite - it wasn't detachable or coiled.

And with the Amazon sale on the SRH840 - I went ahead with the Shures. I figure for $130, its worth it even if I grow tired of them. They sounded nicer than I expected. I think my own bias towards them initially was totally unwarranted (everyone seemed to suggest them). Plus they were decently comfortable and had detachable cables that I liked.

Now my final question, are there Beyer Velour pads out there that will fit the Shure SRH840?

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys! I think this is my first Pro-Audio buy that I am really confident about. I went to Guitar Center today and tried out the Beyer DT 770-80, DT 880-250, Shure SRH840, and SRH940. The Beyers definitely win hands-down on the comfort front.

The 880 definitely had a more natural sound that I liked, but it definitely leaked too much outside noise in (the store was a little loud) so passed on it. It was a toss up between the SRH840 and Beyer DT 770, but the DT 770 cable wasn't my favorite - it wasn't detachable or coiled.

And with the Amazon sale on the SRH840 - I went ahead with the Shures. I figure for $130, its worth it even if I grow tired of them. They sounded nicer than I expected. I think my own bias towards them initially was totally unwarranted (everyone seemed to suggest them). Plus they were decently comfortable and had detachable cables that I liked.

Now my final question, are there Beyer Velour pads out there that will fit the Shure SRH840?

Glad you made a decision!  I think you'll enjoy them.  The Beyer pads aren't going to work.  The SRH940 velour pads will fit the 840s, but I hear that it changes their sound signature for the worse.  

Also, the pleather pads on the 840s really help for noise isolation, so I'd suggest you stick with them...

Jun 4, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamtasm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but the DT 770 cable wasn't my favorite - it wasn't detachable or coiled.

It probably does not matter much, but the cable is coiled on the 250Ω version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamtasm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe the DT250 pads would fit, but that is only a guess, and even if they did, the sound might not be improved by the change. In any case, the stock ear pads are said to be good, other than being pleather, and the SRH840 also comes with a spare pair.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #23 of 25
Congrats on the Shure's. I can attest that they are REALLY nice and are ....in a sense more for rock people than the Beyers. The Beyer's were way more comfortable and universal but due to how light they were, felt very weak in a sense..or prone to crushing. The SRH440's were a bit more fatigueing but all the same, best luck to you.

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
Congrats on the Shure's. I can attest that they are REALLY nice and are ....in a sense more for rock people than the Beyers. The Beyer's were way more comfortable and universal but due to how light they were, felt very weak in a sense..or prone to crushing. The SRH440's were a bit more fatigueing but all the same, best luck to you.

Thanks, I'm listening to them now. I can't really describe in details the sound, but it's all very accurate and clear. It doesn't sound weak at all, I turned off my equalizer and they still sound great. The only thing is they are slightly heavy and ears do get a little hot, it's almost like I'm wearing a helmet - but I'll get used to it. It's a great buy and thanks to the forum for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back