The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Feb 23, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #4,126 of 6,329
Been a while since I heard them, having sold them to @dadracer2, but from recollection they're more linear - very natural sounding. I never found them bright myself, but then I'm highly tolerant of Audio-Technica's (and Beyerdynamic's) brighter tunings. I do remember them being supremely comfortable.
Yes that’s correct and they arrived in beautiful condition.
Also yes they are less spiky bright. They are still on the bright side of neutral with great imaging and extended bass.

Feb 23, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #4,127 of 6,329
Alright, I've narrowed my options down to three. Unfortunately, I have no opportunity to listen to any of them.
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd
Focal Radiance
Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH40
I'm a rock and metal kinda guy, with some random 80s pop songs thrown into the mix.

I prefer a slightly dark signature. Just no hot peaks or overly bright spots. Smooth is the word I'm looking for, but still appreciate some extension up top. The upper mids can make or break a headphone for me.
I like my mids slightly elevated/forward, clear and clean. I need to hear that crunch from electric guitars. Male vocals should come across with some authority, though I don't want them to be out in front. Backup vocals and guitars should be on a level playing field. Piano, keyboards, and brass need to sound natural.
I like some warmth in the lower mids. Not overly so, but I do like some light syrup in this region. I'll take attack over decay, but I really want some of both. Nothing overly aggressive, but definitely not reserved. No bleed, no bloat.
I want to feel that kick drum. Doesn't need to hit like a hammer though. I also really like to hear and feel that growl from the bass guitar. I prefer sub bass elevated North of neutral, but nothing that loses focus or becomes a distraction.
Definitely nothing that's going to throw details in my face, but still moderately detailed. I have some rare 80s hair metal that I listen to a lot, and we all know how those recordings can be. I'd also prefer above average resolving capabilities, but not anything too crazy.
Based on the genre and my preferences, which of these 3 models would you be most inclined to grab? And believe me, I'm all ears for any other recommendations - non planar please.
Mhog55, Reading your preferences is somewhat surreal, as they are nearly exactly inline with mine, whoa... And you articulated those ideas so much better that I could have...:smile_phones: I too, am looking at the Gh40 (in the more affordable category). Let us know how it goes in your quest... Thx.

Cheers

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #4,128 of 6,329
On the subject of comfort, I picked up a gently used ZMF Eikon last weekend (with brand new pads) and they totally disappear on my big noggin, even with glasses. I've had them on all my waking hours for several days now and have had no fatigue, no hotspots.

My username came from the fact that I'm very sensitive to headphone comfort.
I must say, if I succumb to the temptation of another closed-back next winter, the Eikon sounds like a good bet. I originally coveted the Atticus, but given how I adore my Auteur, I think the Eikon is an option too… I am a sucker for quality bass/sub-bass. 😁

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #4,130 of 6,329
Which cans would people say offer the best closed back passive isolation for around 500 USD? With the least compromise in sound quality ofc
So far I've narrowed it down to the Focal Elegias, the DCA Aeon Closeds, and the Beyer DT177X, but if anyone has additional input, feel free to suggest more models!

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #4,131 of 6,329
Feb 24, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #4,132 of 6,329
I must say, if I succumb to the temptation of another closed-back next winter, the Eikon sounds like a good bet. I originally coveted the Atticus, but given how I adore my Auteur, I think the Eikon is an option too… I am a sucker for quality bass/sub-bass. 😁
The Eikon is the better-tuned sibling if you prize quality lows; the Atticus doesn't exactly struggle in this department, but it is more mid-bass focused, with a palpable punch. They are definitely 2 sides of the same coin, if you ask me - you can't go wrong with either. :)

Feb 24, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #4,133 of 6,329
Which cans would people say offer the best closed back passive isolation for around 500 USD? With the least compromise in sound quality ofc
So far I've narrowed it down to the Focal Elegias, the DCA Aeon Closeds, and the Beyer DT177X, but if anyone has additional input, feel free to suggest more models!
The JVC HA-SW01 has rather exceptional passive isolation, although I don't think it's an easy recommendation due to its import-only status.

The pleather Beyerdynamic pads that come with the Custom One Pro and DT790 are extremely good at passive isolation too.
I have not heard the DT1770 with pleathers but it should be a similar story.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #4,134 of 6,329
Mhog55, Reading your preferences is somewhat surreal, as they are nearly exactly inline with mine, whoa... And you articulated those ideas so much better that I could have...:smile_phones: I too, am looking at the Gh40 (in the more affordable category). Let us know how it goes in your quest... Thx.

Cheers
Affordable - lol. Definitely let me know if you decide to go with the GH40. I'm patiently awaiting more information to surface. I'm not in any rush to get a new headphone. I'd rather take some time to try and get it right, rather than playing the buy and try game. Easier said than done.

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #4,135 of 6,329
The Eikon is the better-tuned sibling if you prize quality lows; the Atticus doesn't exactly struggle in this department, but it is more mid-bass focused, with a palpable punch. They are definitely 2 sides of the same coin, if you ask me - you can't go wrong with either. :)
Thank you! A short list is easier to manage when there are only two headphones on it. 😊

Feb 24, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #4,136 of 6,329
Thank you! A short list is easier to manage when there are only two headphones on it. 😊
Well, you may just end up buying both. :sweat_smile:

ZMF headphones are functional yet aesthetically pleasing. Our version of jewelry, perhaps? :wink:

Feb 24, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #4,137 of 6,329
Affordable - lol. Definitely let me know if you decide to go with the GH40. I'm patiently awaiting more information to surface. I'm not in any rush to get a new headphone. I'd rather take some time to try and get it right, rather than playing the buy and try game. Easier said than done.
You are spot on. Ok, not really "affordable"(affordable only due to my potential tax return), but compared to the Rognir Dynamic the dream for me this would suffice. So basically, I'm in the same boat, 'trying" to hold on before taking the plunge. I would love to hear more detailed info on these but I don't think there is a lot of actual pairs out there, so not many headphones to cull info from. I'm torn between justifying and do I really need a $1000 expenditure on a pair of headphones. I have the HP-2 and wanted a different flavor so to speak to compliment each other. Portability is not a must, but I feel has added value. But still, $899 on pre-order (Audio 46)...? Or the GH50, then a mod by JM...$$$ Whew.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #4,138 of 6,329
I wonder if we'll see any new launches at CanJam Singapore. It's just over a month to go... so who knows? If there will be any, I hope my wallet will be ready. :fearful:
If there are no new Z2Rs... I think, you can talk with them about your desires (even, when you start talking with them with your extended "closed-back vocabulary", they will hire you as an employee :relieved:)...

Anyway, I hope you go there and try some headphones and share with us your impressions about :L3000:

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:55 AM Post #4,139 of 6,329
Malevolent has updated the first page of this thread with some suggestions, classified by price ranges. Have you seen it?

Feb 24, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #4,140 of 6,329
@Malevolent, I think a Sony exhibitor stand is waiting for you... I hope you have a good time if you decide to assist there.
Ain't that more likely just for the WM-1 A&Z Mk2 Walkman? Sony did join Canjam for every signature series, back then with the full suite of MDR Z1R, DAP and Dac/amp, again with IER, heck they even joined RMAF for the SA-Z1, they knew where we geeks gather and we're squarely in the bullseye mark for their products.

On that note the MDR Z1R has definitely become my favorite audio gear for music listening. The Synergy it has going with the WM1A is the final icing on the cake, nothing else I own (other than the IER) make me feel as satisfied, it feels, complete.
My T1 still serve as my daily, gaming, movie watching and what not, but IMO I don't really like it as much for music listening. Besides, I'd rather spare the Z1R only for special occasions.

The only regret I have is that I couldn't try driving Ananda with it as my pair's R side died due to Micromold a short couple weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back