The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
May 6, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,861 of 6,329
You can check out my signature and Profile to see all the headphones I have owned in the past and currently. Not one of them hit me in that same way. I have no explanation for it. It was really surprising to me.
It's surprising, indeed. A chunk of the headphones that you've owned are some of my absolute favorites - the list includes the MDR-Z1R, the TH900 Mk2, the AH-D7000, and the Heritage HP-3. I listen to a lot of EDM myself, and the Sony and Fostex flagships are amongst the best in the world for this genre (or at least, with most of its sub-genres, such as Trance and Techno).

On that subject, what headphone are you currently rocking for dance music? :)

May 6, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,862 of 6,329
This was originally posted in the WP900 thread. Nevertheless, as they're all closed-back headphones, I thought that it'd be equally as relevant in here. So, here's a comparison of the Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation), the Audio-Technica WP900, and the Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed. :)

Comparison-A2C-WP900-T5p.jpg

Beyerdynamic T5p (2nd Generation)
  • They have a strong mid-bass presence, and decent sub-bass rumble. However, decay is slower on the T5p (2nd Gen), so beats aren't very snappy; they tend to linger.
  • The midrange is not as scooped as on the WP900, so vocals are a bit more forward. There is more gravitas in the vocals, and male voices have some authority, which is, sadly, lacking on the Audio-Technica headphone.
  • Treble is crisp and sharp on the T5p (2nd Gen); however, it tends to get a little strident. This is the only headphone out of the 3 that often veered into sibilant territory.
  • There is a diffuse warmth throughout its signature. The T5p (2nd Gen) has good detail retrieval capabilities - about on par with the WP900. However, it is not immediately apparent, thanks to this persistent bloom.
  • Imaging is a forte of the Beyerdynamic headphone. Its soundstage is even more impressive, beating the other 2 headphones in width and depth.
Audio-Technica WP900
  • The mid-bass on the WP900 is almost as sizeable as the hump on the T5p (2nd Generation). However, it has greater sub-bass rumble, along with the best texture in the lows of the 3 headphones. Transients are fast, with rapid beats and quick decay. It has good impact, the best of the lot, IMO.
  • Unfortunately, the WP900 has the weakest midrange in this trio. The "v" on the Audio-Technica isn't so deep, but when switching between the 3 headphones, the lack of vocal prowess is evident, especially with male vocals.
  • The treble section is very defined, clear and prominent; it produces a lot of sizzle without appearing harsh. Together with its pronounced bass, the potent highs combine to forge a highly energetic signature.
  • The WP900 fared pretty well with resolution and detail retrieval. At first glance, they sounded ostensibly better than the T5p (2nd Gen) in this aspect; this was proven to be false, once you paid greater attention to the Beyerdynamic.
  • Imaging was precise, but the WP900 had a very intimate stage, relative to the AEON 2 Closed and the T5p (2nd Gen).
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Closed
  • They had the "weakest" bass of the 3. However, I would refrain from calling them "bass light"; the entire low-end region had a presence that was a little north of neutral. The beats were almost as snappy as the ones on the WP900, with very good layering and texture.
  • Owing to its balanced signature, the AEON 2 Closed has the most forward mids amongst the 3 headphones; it is also the best at rendering some very compelling and authoritative vocals. There was a lot of texture and nuance in the way the Dan Clark headphone portrayed voices.
  • Highs on the AEON 2 Closed were the least prominent in this comparison; it was not muted or smooth in any way, but it just didn't dominate the sound as much as the other 2 headphones did.
  • The AEON 2 Closed was excellent at resolving detail; you could identify the finer grains in your music a lot easier.
  • The soundstage reproduction on the AEON 2 Closed is in-between the T5p (2nd Gen) and the WP900. It wasn't very wide or deep, but it didn't sound too intimate either.
If you need a TLDR, in general, I think the best headphone amongst the 3 is the AEON 2 Closed. The most fun and energetic is the WP900, and that's the one I'd take over the other 2 for my genre-of-choice, EDM. Sadly, the T5p (2nd Gen) is showing its age in this shootout; the excessive warmth masks a lot of detail, and it isn't as "fun" for dance music either.

I am trying to decide now between the new A2C Noire and the T5P 2nd gen.... really wanted something that didn't need extra power (+1 Beyer) , has a nice soundstage (+1 beyer?) but is a good allround headphone that hits the spot for electronic music (i.e. all genres from ambient to house/techno/dnb/etc).

I really like the design of the A2C Noire's , black and really portable which is nice since I travel often (+1 DCA) and they seem like a good choice for a lot of music I listen to where details are nice to hear like ambient and classical music (+1?)

Initially didnt entertain the A2C because I wanted something functioning fine from just a phone...but 99% of my listening is from desktop setup with a decent amp (Element2)

I do listen to all kinds of music, from metal to rap to weird things, but the above mentioned genres are more common.
unfortunately, I cant try these on anywhere what with the Corona.....so I have to pick up one. Buying both and selling the other seems like a good way to waste $$$$

Any thoughts here?

Any input here?

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #1,863 of 6,329
It's surprising, indeed. A chunk of the headphones that you've owned are some of my absolute favorites - the list includes the MDR-Z1R, the TH900 Mk2, the AH-D7000, and the Heritage HP-3. I listen to a lot of EDM myself, and the Sony and Fostex flagships are amongst the best in the world for this genre (or at least, with most of its sub-genres, such as Trance and Techno).

I really liked the first three a lot. My favorite of those is the TH900 but the comfort wasn't that great for me. I have a smallish head and they felt bulky. The D7000 was fantastic when paired with the A90/D90. I always use the Loki for tweaks on all my headphones - especially in subbass region. The HP-3 was not bad, but it just didn't have the engagement factor for me.

Right now I am in love with the T5P 2nd Gen. It surpasses all of those other headphones by a significant degree. I know there have been people complaining about a reverb, dancehall effect. I think that's the thing I love about them. The bass presentation is perfect - deep and rumbly - visceral but not overshadowing the mids and highs. The engagement factor is there in spades. Not to mention that I find it incredibly comfortable.

I also recently received the WP900 and have been really impressed. I think it may be a keeper but the jury is still out.

May 6, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,864 of 6,329

You prefer the D7000 to the 7200?

May 7, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,865 of 6,329
Hi,

For the last few days I've been listening AKG K371. It is ok, but a little artificial. Bass is a little mellow. I would like more impact and slam, also I would like more of a smooth sound. Any ideas what would that be?

Thanks!

May 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #1,866 of 6,329
Meze 99 Classic, i guess.

Depends on the money free to spend, of course. :wink:

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,867 of 6,329
Meze 99 Classic, i guess.

Depends on the money free to spend, of course. :wink:

I can spend max 400€.

I was thinking Meze 99 Classic but what I understand with new bigger pads the sound is off?

What about Denon AH D7200? I saw some used for 400€.

Any other option? The most important is that the headphones are not fatiguing.

May 7, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,868 of 6,329
I can spend max 400€.

I was thinking Meze 99 Classic but what I understand with new bigger pads the sound is off?

What about Denon AH D7200? I saw some used for 400€.

Any other option? The most important is that the headphones are not fatiguing. I really like smooth sound.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #1,869 of 6,329
Jepp.
Than the D7200, beside the controversial shape of the headband (for me), is what you should have a serious listen to.

Details are there all the way, but not in your face like many other "detailed, airy" headphones.
It's a great headphone for long term listening with lots of bass (mid-bass pronounced) and smooth mids and highs.
It's very easy to drive and you can get really great sound even from a smartphone.
That's a big, imo.
There's no need for big amps to make them showing their full potential.

I liked to listen with, but for some specific genres/ songs, the bass was too much for me. :smile:
Say Krewella and similar artists.

Important fact about me, i have larger auricles and some headphones aren't that comfortable to me bc of the small ear pad openings, which forced my ears to go hot rather quick. :wink:

So, as usual, take my writing with a grain of salt and adapt it to your own listening behaviours.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,870 of 6,329
@Chris Kaoss, I wonder how your 9200s are still listing?... There are a lot of propaganda here about them :wink: And your price is fair since they are just a few months old...

After I repurchased my Beyer 1990 Pros some weird ideas (sell some headphones) come to my brain, maybe because the 1990s are so good for rock and metal... But this morning I had a 9200s session and it was fantastic.

Now my problem is I don't know which headphones choose... Althought, the Senn HD 800 are the less used, but that is because they are so open and I disturb my surroundings (the 1990s are less open and I have no problems, well... my wife and children have no problems, with them).

May 7, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #1,871 of 6,329
Don't know why. ^^
But i'm in no hurry.

Maybe it's a sight to keep them. :smile:

Guess on day, i'll give them to my little brother as a gift, so he can enjoy his music in a new way.

Another thought is to wait for much more propaganda and Denon to go out of stock, haha. :)

Time will tell, i think. :)

May 7, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,872 of 6,329
Don't know why. ^^
But i'm in no hurry.

Maybe it's a sight to keep them. :smile:

Guess on day, i'll give them to my little brother as a gift, so he can enjoy his music in a new way.

Another thought is to wait for much more propaganda and Denon to go out of stock, haha. :)

Time will tell, i think. :)
I think a lot of people here want to be your brother :relieved:

May 8, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,873 of 6,329
Agree with the sentiment, true open back always have the last say in technical proficiency but I always think Closed backs has indisputable advantages as well, one is of course, more isolation is better even if your listening room is relatively quiet, small droning sound (AC, fan blades spinning, ambient traffic in the distance, its hard to truly have dead quiet room these days, there's always the sound a sound whether its from outside or the ones your house makes) ones you didn't even notice are in the background can, IMO mask some part of the experience.
T1 is my daily, but am living in a house quite close to the main road, so sometimes when I put down my Z1R intending to swap in for the Beyer I stopped when I hear the sound of traffic and how loud it is without me realizing it before.

Second is as you mentioned, the thing about closed back, is that its you, the driver and the completely isolated room inbetween. what's making closed back headphone so hard to make well is also its greatest appeal to me, I like the closed off feeling using closed back have, and two of my favorite, M70x and MDR Z1R achieves this feeling very well. Each with their own quirk and strength. In many ways, a quest to finding one's own perfect closed back is harder than open backs.

Don't mistake me, I love open backed headphones as well, the MA900 is basically the cheapest you can get to have a feeling of a speaker in front of you, AD1000x is one of the airiest headphone there is, and T1 at how clear and transparent it is, but they have their own time, when I'm in the mood to be more enclosed by music and/or focus on the movies I'm watching, closed backs are what I go to.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,874 of 6,329
Funny the first open or closed showdown I had was the HD414 and Koss closed backs in 1975. The Koss won, hands down, and I have loved closed-backs ever since.
Agree with the sentiment, ture open back always have the last say in technical proficiency but i always think Closed backs has indisputable advantages as well, one is of course, more isolation is better even if your listening room is relatively quit, small droning sound (AC, fan blades spinning, ambient traffic in the distance, its hard to truly have dead quiet room these days, there's always the sound a sound whether its from outside or the ones your house makes) ones you didn't even notice are in the background can, IMO mask some part of the experience.
T1 is my daily, but am living in a house quite close to the main road, so sometimes when I put down my Z1R intending to swap in for the Beyer I stopped when I hear the sound of traffic and how loud it is without me realizing it before.

Second is as you mentioned, the thing about closed back, is that its you, the driver and the completely isolated room inbetween. what's making closed back headphone so hard to make well is also its greatest appeal to me, I like the closed off feeling using closed back have, and two of my favorite, M70x and MDR Z1R achieves this feeling very well. Each with their own quirk and strength. In many way, quest to finding one own's perfect closed back is harder than open backs

Don't mistake me, I love open backed headphones as well, the MA900 is basically the cheapest you can get to have a feeling of a speaker in front of you, AD1000x is one of the airiest headphone there is, and T1 at how clear and transparent it is, but they have their own time, when I'm in the mood to be more enclosed by music and/or focus on the movies I'm watching, closed backs are what I go to.

May 8, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,875 of 6,329
TH900.jpg

I've had the Focal Radiance for about a week now and I absolutely love these. Compared to the TH900, these have a much better seal so the bass impact is fantastic. Also they have a slightly elevated mid-bass, which give them a really nice warm signature. Lastly the mids are great, unlike the TH900 the mids are not recessed at all. Any one looking for a new pair of closed back cans, I would highly recommend checking these out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back