- Jul 5, 2020
- Canary Islands, Spain
My friend... You have the Shure SHR 1540. I didn't know that. What do you think of them?Time.
My audio stable has remained unchanged for two, yes two, years (with the exception of the Paw S1 last Christmas, but we'll ignore that). I'll just let the gasps settle down...
I've held official discussions with the wife, I even put on a tux for the occasion, and we're in agreement; I'm due a new headphone; 'tis the season to be jolly after all!
The shortlist consists of:
- Audeze LCD-XC 2021
- Denon 9200
- Kennerton Gjallerhorn
- Fostex TH-900
- Campfire Audio Cascade
- Heddphone (yeah they're open so a bit of a wildcard, but I'm intrigued)
I don't really know what sound I'm after, as the list suggests, but good bass is a must, and I believe all of the above to meet that particular criteria. The Sony Z1R and Liric would be on there but there is a price ceiling.
I hope to demo all of them over the next few weeks, although one or two might not be possible. I'll take the Dangerous Source for a desktop source, and the Paw S1 and Meridian Explorer 2 for portable device tests.
I'm genuinely excited to hear what these can offer over my Owls and Shure 1540s, but these will remain in the stable.
As an aside, how do you guys feel about auditioning equipment in places that you know you might end up purchasing elsewhere? I can't help but feel a bit... guilty... about it.
From the headphones you listed and what I think about them (from what I've read or the one I own, the 9200s):
- After tried the Beyer T 1.3 (which he owns), the Denon AH-D9200s or the Sendy Audio Peacock (both returned by him), my friend @albertmuc now is loving his new Audeze LCD-X. I don't know how different will be the X-C from the X, but maybe he knows and can help with your decision.
- The 9200s from a technical perspective is almost perfect. They are balanced with a very enjoyable bass and specially sub-bass, I find the voices very detailed with them, but sometimes -with some albums or genres/subgenres- I prefer the warmth of my Sony Z7s. Also, they are in the limit of what I find comfortable for extended periods comparing to the other cans I own.
- GH 50, difficult for me to judge them. The only thing that I don't like from what I've read about them is the cups, which some people find small. In case you are interested, you can valorate to go for the OG or the JM edition. Even, you can ship to John Massaria to upgrade to JM mk2, but I think that will be very expensive from Europe.
- About TH 900, I'm also interested in this model. Maybe you won't like the highs, because you are accustomed to your dark Owls. Also take into account the semi-open design.
- About Cascades, here you can find info about them from a guy that recently purchased them.
- The Heddphone will bring you to the physio after a long session with them
You should consider a Z1R second hand unit for 1175 GBP if you can go that high... I saw here, in the classifieds and it's just for UK.
I'm also feel that sensation (guiltiness) when I try other things .not headphones- in shops and I'm not going to buy there...
At the end, I hope that you enjoy a lot the headphones you choose from your list. Nice to see you again here and happy christmas