The Closed-Back Headphone Thread (Plus Comparisons & Reviews)
Apr 15, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #6,316 of 6,329
:beerchug:You guys sure know how to take pictures.
Two headphones on the table but it looks like someone here, had some photography lessons.
Great job :thumbsup: Beautiful

Apr 15, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #6,317 of 6,329
I am so surprised and delighted by the sound quality of the Liric 2, a very round-sounding headphone. For me, it’s one of the best in the closed-back category. It has a gorgeous bass and sub-bass that doesn’t affect other frequencies, a lovely mellow and realistic voice presentation, and HiFiMan high-end style highs (not spicy, not relaxed).

I think the layer separation is the best I’ve ever heard, even taking into consideration the open-back headphones.

Although it’s not the most spacious sound out there, it does have very accurate instrumental positioning. Also, it’s relatively easy to drive (you can do more than enough with a USB dongle or a relatively affordable DAC/AMP), and it has a gorgeous presentation and a very nice cable. I’m really very happy with this and it might be my endgame headphone at least for the moment.
Have you tried DCA E3 to compare with the Liric 2?

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #6,318 of 6,329
FF9D378B-B1E0-4DF4-AC3A-F1CE5924844B.jpeg

I am so surprised and delighted by the sound quality of the Liric 2, a very round-sounding headphone. For me, it’s one of the best in the closed-back category. It has a gorgeous bass and sub-bass that doesn’t affect other frequencies, a lovely mellow and realistic voice presentation, and HiFiMan high-end style highs (not spicy, not relaxed).

I think the layer separation is the best I’ve ever heard, even taking into consideration the open-back headphones.

Although it’s not the most spacious sound out there, it does have very accurate instrumental positioning. Also, it’s relatively easy to drive (you can do more than enough with a USB dongle or a relatively affordable DAC/AMP), and it has a gorgeous presentation and a very nice cable. I’m really very happy with this and it might be my endgame headphone at least for the moment.
It also looks suitable to take outside for walks , on the go.. not silly.. a small enough profile for a high end headphone...

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #6,320 of 6,329
Have you tried DCA E3 to compare with the Liric 2?
It also looks suitable to take outside for walks , on the go.. not silly.. a small enough profile for a high end headphone...
One of the main reasons I chose these headphones over others is the balance between portability and quality. For me, this makes the Liric 2 one of the most well-rounded headphones. They are perfect for relaxing walks in the park, near the beach, or in places without too much noise or many people to draw unwanted attention. They exude a “I’m a premium headphone” vibe, which could be a problem in some places. They may not be suitable for commuting; an ANC headphone might be better, but you would need to sacrifice sound quality. I auditioned the Dali IO-12, Solitaire T, and Bathys in the store. They are on par with the 99 Classics, but far from the reference sound of the Liric.

I briefly compared the Liric 2 with the E3, but only briefly because I needed a not very large, easy-to-drive headphone for relaxed music listening while walking, more as a curiosity. The E3 needs power, as Palpatine said: “Infinite power!” :) :) I didn’t like the sound on my iBasso DC04 Pro; it was very constrained and lacked charisma. Connected to a good amp (I think you need a DAC/AMP combo that costs the same as the E3 to get proper sound), the E3 are very nice sounding headphones, very neutral in every aspect.

The Liric 2 has more impact and dynamic bass; it’s more fun. The E3 has a more spacious sound, but the Liric 2 has better layer separation and positioning. Also, to my surprise, I had issues with my glasses with the E3 and not with the Liric 2. In summary:

- If you are searching for a stationary headphone with very nice sound and you have (importantly) a good and expensive equipment, and you need it to be closed-back as your primary headphone: The E3.

- If you want a fun, very dynamic, very easy-to-drive closed-back headphone with tremendous layer separation and instrumental positioning: The Liric 2.

For me, sonically they are on the same level (different approach but at the same quality), but I recommend going to the store and comparing because the sound profiles are very different and you may have some issues (glasses or whatever).

Apr 15, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6,321 of 6,329
One of the main reasons I chose these headphones over others is the balance between portability and quality. For me, this makes the Liric 2 one of the most well-rounded headphones. They are perfect for relaxing walks in the park, near the beach, or in places without too much noise or many people to draw unwanted attention. They exude a “I’m a premium headphone” vibe, which could be a problem in some places. They may not be suitable for commuting; an ANC headphone might be better, but you would need to sacrifice sound quality. I auditioned the Dali IO-12, Solitaire T, and Bathys in the store. They are on par with the 99 Classics, but far from the reference sound of the Liric.

I briefly compared the Liric 2 with the E3, but only briefly because I needed a not very large, easy-to-drive headphone for relaxed music listening while walking, more as a curiosity. The E3 needs power, as Palpatine said: “Infinite power!” :) :) I didn’t like the sound on my iBasso DC04 Pro; it was very constrained and lacked charisma. Connected to a good amp (I think you need a DAC/AMP combo that costs the same as the E3 to get proper sound), the E3 are very nice sounding headphones, very neutral in every aspect.

The Liric 2 has more impact and dynamic bass; it’s more fun. The E3 has a more spacious sound, but the Liric 2 has better layer separation and positioning. Also, to my surprise, I had issues with my glasses with the E3 and not with the Liric 2. In summary:

- If you are searching for a stationary headphone with very nice sound and you have (importantly) a good and expensive equipment, and you need it to be closed-back as your primary headphone: The E3.

- If you want a fun, very dynamic, very easy-to-drive closed-back headphone with tremendous layer separation and instrumental positioning: The Liric 2.

For me, sonically they are on the same level (different approach but at the same quality), but I recommend going to the store and comparing because the sound profiles are very different and you may have some issues (glasses or whatever).
Liric you can walk around in. E3 is a no then, also from what I've been told in the E3 forum..too bulky, over the top size. So Liric have high fidelity sound OTG department won here. A good dongle, bish bash bosh.. you will reap the sound clarity amd dynamics in those quieter moments , which are many I find in my smaller city.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #6,322 of 6,329
Apr 16, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #6,323 of 6,329
Liric you can walk around in. E3 is a no then, also from what I've been told in the E3 forum..too bulky, over the top size. So Liric have high fidelity sound OTG department won here. A good dongle, bish bash bosh.. you will reap the sound clarity amd dynamics in those quieter moments , which are many I find in my smaller city.
Over the top? I have owned Aeons before...and they look similar in size. Those were totally portable. Are the E3s bigger than Aeons?

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #6,325 of 6,329
Apr 17, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #6,328 of 6,329
The Liric2 sure looks nice (those wood panels are much more attractive than the first version, although that one was not unattractive). It also feels good in hand, nicely made (screws, not glue etc.). Sonically it did not impress me much though, a bit much midbass for my taste, and somehow I missed a bit in the upper mids, making voices sound a bit strange to me. Better efficiency and more compact than the E3 -- which folds down for transport though. Somewhat small pad openings, but sufficient for my ears. Overall quite comfortable. Probably I won't get one.

IMG_4080.jpegIMG_4082.jpegIMG_4083.jpeg

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #6,329 of 6,329
Closed backs I currently own:
  • ZMF Bokeh. More mid bass that Harman in their default tuning (perforated mesh and leather pads). This is an excellent headphone open or closed and very comfortable. With the optional tuning kit you have more pads and an unperforated mesh to combine in any way you like. Suede pads reduce the bass and hybrid pads are in between. Mesh will tame the highs. I settled on leather pads and no mesh for the bass with increased airiness.
  • DCA Aeon 2 Noire. Reference Harman neutral. Good sub bass extension but shelf doesn't come up into mid bass. Super comfy and excellent isolation. I am very much planning to audition the E3 at Canjam this year. If all goes well it will be my next purchase.
  • Focal Elegia. I'm cheating here because I use Stellia pads which really make up for the Elegia's tonal short comings. I heard Stellia at Canjam last year and it is better, no questions asked. Didn't hear the Radiance.
IMG_20240309_113318.jpg

Currently Bokeh is my go to for electronic music and Aeon for more all round library on shuffle type listening. For closed backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back