The Chord Hugo TT is announced.
Jul 5, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #136 of 282
Guys I really don't get why Chord would release the TT at all...and with barely any improvements for me to justify it being 2x more expensive than the original... Also why would they release the 2Qute it has pretty much the same DAC in the hugo but in a price point that screams "0 value". I really don't get it.

they are three separate products that are aimed at customers with different needs, as follows:-

2Qute - dedicated non-portable DAC for people who have no requirement for a amplifier, primarily aimed at Hi-Fi & PC use... cheaper than Hugo & Hugo-TT.

Hugo - dedicated portable DAC/Amp that does everything & more (aimed at portable/transportable/desktop/system use), the proverbial 'Swiss Army knife' of the Hi-Fi industry... unbeatable 'bang for your bucks' value if you consider what Hugo does.

Hugo-TT - dedicated mid-sized desktop/system DAC/Amp that has 'transportable' capabilities if required (aimed at those requiring more power for heaphone use, can also be used as a hi-end Pre-Amp/DAC fronting a hi-fi system)... substantial case & component upgrade from diminutive Hugo, the 'flagship' of the Hugo range.

Hope this explains the Chord Electronics range more fully...
normal_smile .gif

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #137 of 282
I currently have a QuteHD with a linear PSU and a AP2+PurePower and have enjoyed it for the last two plus years but have been wanting to get something new and have been considering all three mentioned.

As for the TT, what is the life expectancy of those Li batteries as that would be my only concern except at the rate I change equipment it probably would not be an issue except with resale value?  I would also bet everything I own that the next version of TT will not have batteries based on other threads about the PSU.

The TT items of interest are the xlr outs and remote volume control and of course the newer dac sections.

Jul 11, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #139 of 282
Guys I really don't get why Chord would release the TT at all...and with barely any improvements for me to justify it being 2x more expensive than the original... Also why would they release the 2Qute it has pretty much the same DAC in the hugo but in a price point that screams "0 value". I really don't get it.

they are three separate products that are aimed at customers with different needs, as follows:-

2Qute - dedicated non-portable DAC for people who have no requirement for a amplifier, primarily aimed at Hi-Fi & PC use... cheaper than Hugo & Hugo-TT.

Hugo - dedicated portable DAC/Amp that does everything & more (aimed at portable/transportable/desktop/system use), the proverbial 'Swiss Army knife' of the Hi-Fi industry... unbeatable 'bang for your bucks' value if you consider what Hugo does.

Hugo-TT - dedicated mid-sized desktop/system DAC/Amp that has 'transportable' capabilities if required (aimed at those requiring more power for heaphone use, can also be used as a hi-end Pre-Amp/DAC fronting a hi-fi system)... substantial case & component upgrade from diminutive Hugo, the 'flagship' of the Hugo range.

Hope this explains the Chord Electronics range more fully...
normal_smile%20.gif

Makes sense

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #140 of 282
I actually really loved the TT when I heard it at canjam. Although I didn't do side by side with my Hugo, it did sound better to me, and I was used to the Hugo. I did run back and forth between the TT and the Yggdrasil from Schiit. The Hugo TT was the clear winner in my book, not even close.

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #142 of 282
I actually really loved the TT when I heard it at canjam. Although I didn't do side by side with my Hugo, it did sound better to me, and I was used to the Hugo. I did run back and forth between the TT and the Yggdrasil from Schiit. The Hugo TT was the clear winner in my book, not even close.

The TT is deifnitively better sounding to me than the Hugo. Clearly a wider soundstage and better dynamics. The imaging is also better, IMO.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #143 of 282

The TT is deifnitively better sounding to me than the Hugo. Clearly a wider soundstage and better dynamics. The imaging is also better, IMO.

can you compare the amp section of both? bass wise, and thanks.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #144 of 282
I'd also like to read as much as possible about the sound of the TT compared with the original Hugo – headphone output included.

Jul 18, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #146 of 282
I managed to do a quick comparison between the original Hugo and the TT. As mentioned, the sound stage is clearly wider on the TT. The sound on the TT feels more 3D like than the Hugo. On the Hugo, due to the narrower sound stage, the music appears to be more intimate. In terms of definition and clarity, I am of the opinion the TT is also better than the Hugo. There is more depth to the sound. This makes the bass and treble much more realistic and enjoyable to listen. On the original Hugo, I sometimes feel that the bass is a bit "bloated" and "loose". I don't feel that way with the TT. However, both the TT and Hugo do share a similar sound signature, IMO.

Other than the sound quality, I like the TT making use of the more standard USB A to B cable and the input switch display. It operates basically the same as the smaller Hugo. So if you are familiar with the original Hugo, you should have no difficulty operating the TT.[size=12.7272720336914px] [/size]

[size=12.7272720336914px]All in all, the TT is a clear im[/size]provement over the original Hugo. Please understand that I am not trashing the original Hugo. It is still a fine sounding device and one of the better ones out there currently. It is just that the Hugo TT is one level above it.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #147 of 282
I was flamed a bit when I posted my impressions on the Hugo thread. But I think we all share the same impressions.

Of course, nobody's done a "professional" review with blind-testing etc. But we're not pretending to be.

While the core engine is the same FPGA, the trickery of the TT is what comes after. At the Hugo thread there was mention of the QBD76 sounding better than the Hugo. That's not being challenged so I take it we all accept that at face value.

DAC chip wise, the Hugo FPGA is a couple of notches higher than the QBD. But the QBD is a full-on desktop DAC with the supporting circuitry. And that's what the TT brings to the table.

So in addition to the FPGA, there's all the preamp circuitry that can colour/distort the sound. the TT's preamp stage is simply more transparent. Because of component, packaging and design.

The interesting thing will be how the TT compares with the QBD. My dealer felt the Hugo ran the QBD very close.

Dave is at another level as even the "engine" has been upgraded.

But yes, the TT gives the same Hugo sound. But just that little bit more finesse and polish. And to me it gives it pulls a clear gap from other DACs of the same price range.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #148 of 282
  I was flamed a bit when I posted my impressions on the Hugo thread. But I think we all share the same impressions.

Of course, nobody's done a "professional" review with blind-testing etc. But we're not pretending to be.

While the core engine is the same FPGA, the trickery of the TT is what comes after. At the Hugo thread there was mention of the QBD76 sounding better than the Hugo. That's not being challenged so I take it we all accept that at face value.

DAC chip wise, the Hugo FPGA is a couple of notches higher than the QBD. But the QBD is a full-on desktop DAC with the supporting circuitry. And that's what the TT brings to the table.

So in addition to the FPGA, there's all the preamp circuitry that can colour/distort the sound. the TT's preamp stage is simply more transparent. Because of component, packaging and design.

The interesting thing will be how the TT compares with the QBD. My dealer felt the Hugo ran the QBD very close.

Dave is at another level as even the "engine" has been upgraded.

But yes, the TT gives the same Hugo sound. But just that little bit more finesse and polish. And to me it gives it pulls a clear gap from other DACs of the same price range.

The problem is the Hugo and the TT is just too close. I had a good listen to all three and I owned the Hugo prior to my choice, but the QBD is just a different sound, the focus is totally different. I found the QBD is a wholesome sound, it didn't focus on anything but created a complete sound. The TT as is the Hugo, made the centre stage (vocals, main instruments) become more accurate, which I have to hand to the TT, does better than the QBD. But when listening to get the wholeness of the music (cymbals, accompanying instruments, bass), the QBD tips the TT. This is my 0.02 and the reason I bought the QBD over the TT. I know this is vague, it's really hard to put into words.

The TT is a big Hugo no doubt. And the Hugo to me was my portable device, something the TT can't replace.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #149 of 282

The problem is the Hugo and the TT is just too close. I had a good listen to all three and I owned the Hugo prior to my choice, but the QBD is just a different sound, the focus is totally different. I found the QBD is a wholesome sound, it didn't focus on anything but created a complete sound. The TT as is the Hugo, made the centre stage (vocals, main instruments) become more accurate, which I have to hand to the TT, does better than the QBD. But when listening to get the wholeness of the music (cymbals, accompanying instruments, bass), the QBD tips the TT. This is my 0.02 and the reason I bought the QBD over the TT. I know this is vague, it's really hard to put into words.

The TT is a big Hugo no doubt. And the Hugo to me was my portable device, something the TT can't replace.

Believe it or not, I actually do get you! Not entirely of course, since I haven't heard the QBD myself.

The Hugo brings such amazing life to vocals. I listen to mainly "breathy" female voices like Skye Edwards from Morcheeba. With the Hugo, and TT especially, you can hear her draw breath and form the words as her mouth change shape.

Bass is deeper with more depth. I do wonder about rolling cymbals. Sounds a bit to "clean". Very, very smooth.

But there is a hierachy to the sound stage. Gives it character. I also use a balanced power amp. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #150 of 282

I had a QBD on home demo a few weeks ago and tbh i was amazed how much better the QBD sounded than the Hugo . I've had my Hugo for about a year and i love it,but the QBD is on a different level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back