The chord company Sarum T Digital Super Aray USB cable
Jul 21, 2018 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Whazzzup

Headphoneus Supremus
Had the opportunity to step up to a premium USB cable after doing some reasearch, kept returning to Sarum t digital super aray usb. Considering I have a flagship server from antipodes audio coming I figured the transport to my Chord TT HD USB should be worthy and in my case, an experiment. Albeit casual non blind testing. Here is the blurb and photos, then sound analysis.

Sarum T builds on the success of our acclaimed Sarum Super ARAY range and introduces our breakthrough proprietary insulation material, Taylon®, bringing a major performance upgrade. Sarum T brings the remarkable benefits of our proprietary dielectric at a new, more accessible price level. Previous generations of Sarum Super ARAY cables have featured a PTFE dielectric. The upgrade to Taylon® introduces a raft of performance benefits.

Earlier versions of Sarum cables can be upgraded to Sarum T specification. Contact your nearest Chord Company Sarum retailer for prices and further information. Demonstration cables are also available, should you wish to try Sarum T in your own system..

Available as RCA, BNC, USB, AESEBU and streaming digital interconnects.

19CF28CE-AFFE-4622-9ADF-20E01A56A657.jpeg

Pretty blue bag

7EB5CB78-D83F-4F10-8DB8-093194CEA407.jpeg

80D6E549-4146-4DF6-B0F2-868107D6928E.jpeg

2BFD3193-B705-4990-9C93-765A0E5D3D90.jpeg

So this beefy yet flexible USB which is thicker than you would think did offer up more engaging sound, slight beef to low end, more detail up high, just a more intimate sound than my oyaide 5s continental that I used previously. A nice cable too but yes Sarum did punch through for me with a little oh my coming from my lips. Now certainly the difference is not say as significant as a server versus say a computer, but certainly a more real, engaging head space was enjoyed. Cables do matter if you have a system that can ascertain it’s benefits and communicate that from end to end. But I’m a cable guy in that I like them, I enjoy testing and listening for differences which occasionally I did not appreciate but in this case of Sarum t digital, if budget is of little concern, your all in one solution just may be from the chord company and it’s latest Sarum T digital super aray.

Jul 21, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 26
Thanks for your thread on this cable. I am pleased to hear that you like the Sarum T.

I owned one of these and used it for a couple of months. However in the end I am afraid I sold it on because it sounded identical to my Supra 2.0 USB cable. In the end it is the usual YMMV mantra.

Aug 12, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for your thread on this cable. I am pleased to hear that you like the Sarum T.

I owned one of these and used it for a couple of months. However in the end I am afraid I sold it on because it sounded identical to my Supra 2.0 USB cable. In the end it is the usual YMMV mantra.

Having heard this USB cable on Triode User's system; I've just gone out and bought one, the idea being that if it's as good as a Chord Sarum T then I can sell the Chord Signature which I'm currently using. When it arrives I'll report back.

I've just been looking at a review of USB cables over on Audio-Bacon; has anyone used the Curious Cables USB which comes out very well in the test?

Aug 12, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 26
@BallisticGT3

Yes, I purchased the Curious Cable along with other purchase and return USB cables and did a lot of A - B testing.

I did like the Curious Cable but the Sarum T was the best until I tried the Chord Music.

I did not have much luck with the Chord Signature Range including the USB cable, good cables better than studio cables (which are a fraction of the price), however there is a very big improvement with the Chord Sarum T range and IMHO go head to head with cables a lot more expensive. In essence I found Chord Sarum T best value perhaps equal to the Curious Cable as it is a lot cheaper but as the Sarum T sounded slightly better (to me) I made the purchase and sent back the Curious Cable for a refund.

I tried a few BNC cables between Dave - Blu2, Chord Sarum T was the most expensive but slaughtered the opposition enough for me to make a future purchase at 6K.

With the new upcoming M Scaler from Chord Electronics the issue of noise has been addressed by Rob so hopefully I can used some cheaper cables.

Caveat, all systems vary and looking at the various posts of Triode it appears his system may not have the issues that I have with noise.

I will be ordering a Supra USB cable on Monday ….. it was one I did not try, but I use their mains cables from my Torus AVR 2 16 power supply... stellar..!

I will update when I get the Supra but in the meantime check out the link https://www.head-fi.org/threads/curious-cables-usb.788058/

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 26
Just read the audio bacon review of curious and others. My experience in digital cables is moderately limited to aq diamond, oyaide 5s and now Sarum t digital. I just found an engagement in the low end with possibly less pitchy middle, which rob watts talks about what is achieving that in timing issues... I’m no tech.. just a bit more intimate connection to the music. Now these were casual comparisons and soon after I added audioquest fire xlr interconnects which also improved my listening pleasure so now isolation of what did or does what, is blurry.
Values I did not configure unto analysis but nice looking cable as well. Should help the DX when that comes in

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 26
@Triode User and @BallisticGT3 are you comparing the Chord Sarum Tuned USB cable or the Chord Sarum "T" version which is a completely different cable....?

It was the Chord Sarum "T" USB cable that I had and sold because it made no difference at all in my system compared to the Supra 2.0 USB.

Note that this was 'in my system'.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 26
I've now had the chance to audition the Supra 2..0 USB cable and I'm very impressed. It's great vfm and a step up from the Chord Signature that I've been using. The Supra is more open and revealing with a better defined bass.

Aug 19, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 26
I've now had the chance to audition the Supra 2..0 USB cable and I'm very impressed. It's great vfm and a step up from the Chord Signature that I've been using. The Supra is more open and revealing with a better defined bass.

I cannot remember how I came across the Supra 2.0 cable but I am happy to share my discovery. I'm glad it worked for you as well.

Aug 20, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 26
Geez I’m glad my Sarum t USB find helped folks decide which USB they prefer, I’m glad this article has helped. Sarum works for me and ymmv and all that, cheers.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 26
Switched back to oyaid 5s and audioquest Diamond. Couldn’t appreciably tell the difference between those two, then Sarum T, yup, subtle but engaging, throaty, yet neutral.? Nice USB works well it seems with antipodes DX, but premium dollars so discretionary.

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 26
It looks like there is no ChordMusic Digital USB ? Only Coax or AES ! Is it correct ?

Oct 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 26
Sure there is a USB , that’s mine in the photos, oops sorry yes it’s the chord company I guess the word chord can’t be copyright? ..

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #15 of 26
Looks like the cable in your picture is a Sarum T super aray ! I was asking about the higher end Cord cable, the ChordMusic family that sit above the Sarum T family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back