The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jul 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #2,716 of 5,999
Quote:
Got my LX yesterday 
biggrin.gif
 and listened for about 1.5 hours last night.  I was blown away.  My 44.1k files sounded great, my 88.2k and 96k files sounded fabulous, and my 176.4k and 192k files sounded incredible.  This is all with the default settings.  There's definitely more-than-adequate power for my LCD-3s and overall it's a significant improvement over my DACport in all aspects.  (No surprise there.)  More impressions later (and I'll post them in the Impressions thread.)  THANK YOU, Michael and gang for putting out such a great product--it was exciting to be part of its development!

A couple of comments/questions:

1. I noticed that the leftmost LED comes on if I turn the M8 off while leaving it connected to my laptop's USB port.  The AC adapter is disconnected.  Is this normal, and does it mean that the M8 is charging via USB?

2. I felt compelled to stick some tiny rubber feet to the bottom of the unit, as I didn't want the bare metal sitting on my desktop.  (See pic.)  Makes a nice addition, IMO!

Russel, I like the top picture. May we use it on our website?

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #2,718 of 5,999
So far, I've got an iDevice to stream 24/192 (but the device it was connected to wasn't happy with the output, which is another issue). Streaming high-res definitely works. Playing back greater than 16/48 files on an iDevice will probably depend on what Apple allows in iOS7 and beyond.

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,725 of 5,999
Jul 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #2,728 of 5,999
From the blog: Pick your M8

Made me think of a derivative of a funny saying my dad used to say to me: You can pick your M8 and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your M8's nose.

Sorry, couldn't resist. And, for the record, I like the line, though I'd go with the word "choose" over "pick".

Jul 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,730 of 5,999
No, but I do use M8 as a DAC and 'line out' to the Fiio E9 when I want to more comfortably drive my Thunderpants.  Don't get me wrong, the M8 will power them well on its own, but for lack of a better description, my ears get fatigued when I listen with that set-up, whereas they don't when I'm powering them with the Fiio.  Plus, with E9 there is gobs of power on board to crank the volume if I want.  I'm hoping that the 'fatigue' is resolved by balancing out the Thunderpants and Brian from BTG Audio is building my cables now.  Realistically, I need to improve my source, and to that end the Mac will be purchased just as soon as Apple reveals the new upgrade here in a month or two.  Until then, the sound quality with the M8 as DAC and E9 as amp is indescribably superior than the E17/E9 set-up I utilized before, so I'd imagine you'd get a similar experience with the HTC One.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back