The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Jun 27, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #5,943 of 5,999
Please share models and we will study to ensure compatibility.
Cayin N8 , Cayin N6II, Cowon Pleneu L, Fiio M11 , Lotto Paw Touch.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #5,945 of 5,999
I still don't get the inputs (that was my main issue with v1, my version had either optical or usb in, which limited sources. I eventually settled on a base for an iPad 3, which did optical out, and the combo worked really well until the Pure dock got wonky and stopped connecting well. Can't get these anymore...). Anyway, the description of v2 says it connects to PC, Android, Apple, but the picture only shows usb and Bluetooth input connections. Is Bluetooth the way to connect all other devices? Wouldn't otg be better sounding (or other digital out)?
We are considering two models. The LITE won't have BT. It will be a modern USB DAC with EQ, meters, etc. The full version would add BT. We think that spdif is not needed at this point. Correct me if I'm wrong.

About the signal meters --- do you guys need that?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #5,946 of 5,999
Of course, update from Centrance is big news. M8 V2 Lite will have only two outputs (6.3mm, XLR) without Bluetooth, bass & treble boost and stamina option, impedance switch but same sound. Is that right?
The idea is that LITE drops BT, but retains everything else, like EQ. It also possibly drops the meter. TBD. We currently don't know how many people would want LITE.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #5,947 of 5,999
Curious to understand what the possibilities are for shipping. Living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, I wonder if you are planning to also ship them from within the EU avoiding all kinds of import hassle and taxes. Thanks.
We would ship worldwide. Unfortunately, VAT is a real issue. We are not allowed to circumvent that. We don't have a EU hub yet, sorry. But we do have some EU distributors. Whether they would be interested in the preorder campaign is a question.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #5,948 of 5,999
@mgoodman, I have a concern regarding the new power switch. I really hate all the switches which requires holding the button (especially for 2 seconds) to turn the device on/off. I personally prefer latching switches (so it has some travel distance and satisfying "click" feedback every time I press it — I could do this blindly and have certain tactile feedback). Though, I understand the device is not heavy and the switch need to be light to press otherwise the device might simply slide on the table. Anyway, I hope you will reconsider this.
Also, I wish the meter LED lights could be turn completely off, or it would be an optional feature. I bet most users are not interested in this feature (probably a good idea would be to make a poll/survey to gather users feedback). Personally, it will distract me and I would turn it off (or cover with opaque tape, same as I do with any other LED lights in my room).
I want LITE model, BTW. It has a really sweet price! And if it could be even cheaper without the meter LED lights, I would be extremely happy :) .
Regards!

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #5,949 of 5,999
We would ship worldwide. Unfortunately, VAT is a real issue. We are not allowed to circumvent that. We don't have a EU hub yet, sorry. But we do have some EU distributors. Wherever they would be interested in the preorder campaign is a question.

It would be great if there would be EU distributors willing to participate in the pre-order campaign. I will have to skip it otherwise. It’s not only VAT. It is also import tax and administrative costs the shipment companies charge. If you import in large quantities it is much cheaper.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #5,950 of 5,999
@mgoodman, I have a concern regarding the new power switch. I really hate all the switches which requires holding the button (especially for 2 seconds) to turn the device on/off. I personally prefer latching switches (so it has some travel distance and satisfying "click" feedback every time I press it — I could do this blindly and have certain tactile feedback). Though, I understand the device is not heavy and the switch need to be light to press otherwise the device might simply slide on the table. Anyway, I hope you will reconsider this.
Also, I wish the meter LED lights could be turn completely off, or it would be an optional feature. I bet most users are not interested in this feature (probably a good idea would be to make a poll/survey to gather users feedback). Personally, it will distract me and I would turn it off (or cover with opaque tape, same as I do with any other LED lights in my room).
I want LITE model, BTW. It has a really sweet price! And if it could be even cheaper without the meter LED lights, I would be extremely happy :) .
Regards!
Thank you for he feedback. The reason we made the power switch a push button rather than a rocker switch is because power is actually controlled by a computer inside the device. Once the battery drains to minimum, the computer will turn the unit off without user participation (of course the power LEDs will blink feverishly prior to that, to ask for a recharge). We need to turn the unit off in a smart way like that in order to prevent damage to the battery. If a rocker switch is left in the ON position and battery drains beyond safe level, it may not be able to recharge anymore.

Are you planning on mobile use? Or just desktop? In the latter case you won't even need the battery...

Thank you for the poll idea. Will do that today.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #5,951 of 5,999
It would be great if there would be EU distributors willing to participate in the pre-order campaign. I will have to skip it otherwise. It’s not only VAT. It is also import tax and administrative costs the shipment companies charge. If you import in large quantities it is much cheaper.
Will ask around, but dealers are not fond of preorders typically.

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #5,952 of 5,999
@mgoodman, thanks for your quicky reply! Regarding the power switch—I agree, but I meant not a rocker switch with distinctive on/off "sides" (like on the original HiFi-M8). I really enjoy latching switches like this one or this one. So I want to be able to just push the button but with a noticeable (short) travel distance and distinct click feeling, so I could do this even blindly and very quickly.
I'm interested only in desktop usage. If you remember, I've contacted you once asking how to remove the swollen battery in my HiFi-M8 (happened after a few years of daily usage with constant charging)—it was tough to remove (as it bent the board and stuck). I would prefer to have a battery-less device now :) especially if it will be even cheaper! Though, I understand the risk of getting swollen battery should be minimal on V2.
Running a survey with questions like "are you interested in a battery/meter/linear output" will help you a lot to determine your customers' preferences!
Regards!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #5,953 of 5,999
@mgoodman, thanks for your quicky reply! Regarding the power switch—I agree, but I meant not a rocker switch with distinctive on/off "sides" (like on the original HiFi-M8). I really enjoy latching switches like this one or this one. So I want to be able to just push the button but with a noticeable (short) travel distance and distinct click feeling, so I could do this even blindly and very quickly.
I'm interested only in desktop usage. If you remember, I've contacted you once asking how to remove the swollen battery in my HiFi-M8 (happened after a few years of daily usage with constant charging)—it was tough to remove (as it bent the board and stuck). I would prefer to have a battery-less device now :) especially if it will be even cheaper! Though, I understand the risk of getting swollen battery should be minimal on V2.
Running a survey with questions like "are you interested in a battery/meter/linear output" will help you a lot to determine your customers' preferences!
Regards!

In the poll, We will ask the question about desktop use. Some people may be interested. We do have a version planned for professional desktop use, perhaps that's something we should open up to the HiFi community as well.

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #5,954 of 5,999
Photos! (Posted with permission of CEntrance)

*Not the final design.

2BFC6318-2499-4081-9811-300B8416D435.png

CFB297C3-6E2F-47BB-9BAF-41F5786F9F45.jpeg

610F63BE-C3CC-40E6-B853-05C3FBA17D74.png

4C1FB84A-0073-4D57-B50D-99BEEBD5005C.png

102FADDA-D662-470A-B9EE-CE29D97E79BF.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back