The Centrance HiFi M8 thread
Oct 18, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #316 of 5,999
I use the digital out on my Fostex hp_p1 to my home system often.

*One of the appeal points of the Hifi-m8 for me is the the output impedance switch (lowest being 1ohm),
If Fostex only came clean (or If a head-fier measured it) about the hp_p1 headphone output impedance measurement then maybe I could rest easy with my hp_p1.

*Of course the added power is a plus too. Moar PowR!

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #317 of 5,999
I feel the same way about my godap 4.0. It's a significant improvement over the internal dac in both my ipad3 and iPhone. But it does have a fair amount of hiss with my jh13. I wish it had an impedance switch also. So the impedance switch on this will come in handy with the use of higher impedance cans and sensitive low impedance iems.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #318 of 5,999
All right guys. I have a product to ship (to you, no less). Sadly (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) this means that I have to close the door on changes.

HiFi-M8 will have a stellar headphone amp built in and therefore the need for an external amp will be minimized. This is why I feel that it's less important to have the optical output, which clutters the output panel, creates controversy, eats into battery life and makes people not want to use the internal amp. I just published the new look of the side panel, which doesn't include the optical out. Please review and comment.

Please understand the urgency -- I need to move towards the final design, since we have a responsibility to those who are standing by to pre-order (we will be sending an email about that tomorrow, by the way.)

http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #319 of 5,999
Screw that optical out :) 

This looks pretty good but can I make one more suggestion or ask a question? 

I think the lower the output impedance of the lowest option is the better the performance we get from our custom in ear monitors. So I can only add two things. 

1) If you can get a bit bigger or a better looking volume knob for such a good looking device then that would be great. 

2) And the ideal output impedance for us users with sensitive to hiss custom iems. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #320 of 5,999
I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet but how long does the battery last if used with, say, an iPod? 

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #321 of 5,999
Screw that optical out :) 

This looks pretty good but can I make one more suggestion or ask a question? 

I think the lower the output impedance of the lowest option is the better the performance we get from our custom in ear monitors. So I can only add two things. 

1) If you can get a bit bigger or a better looking volume knob for such a good looking device then that would be great. 

2) And the ideal output impedance for us users with sensitive to hiss custom iems. 

Agreed, the output impedance of the lowest option HAS to be lower than 1.

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #322 of 5,999
Quote:
All right guys. I have a product to ship (to you, no less). Sadly (or fortunately, depending on your point of view) this means that I have to close the door on changes.

HiFi-M8 will have a stellar headphone amp built in and therefore the need for an external amp will be minimized. This is why I feel that it's less important to have the optical output, which clutters the output panel, creates controversy, eats into battery life and makes people not want to use the internal amp. I just published the new look of the side panel, which doesn't include the optical out. Please review and comment.

Please understand the urgency -- I need to move towards the final design, since we have a responsibility to those who are standing by to pre-order (we will be sending an email about that tomorrow, by the way.)

I like!

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #323 of 5,999

> 1) If you can get a bit bigger or a better looking volume knob for such a good looking device then that would be great. 
As much as I'd like to accommodate, I cannot promise at this point. Will look at this later, time permitting. 
Gotta ship, Gotta ship, Gotta ship :)

> 2) And the ideal output impedance for us users with sensitive to hiss custom iems. 
We will give you enough choice to be happy :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #324 of 5,999
Quote:

> 1) If you can get a bit bigger or a better looking volume knob for such a good looking device then that would be great. 
As much as I'd like to accommodate, I cannot promise at this point. Will look at this later, time permitting. 
Gotta ship, Gotta ship, Gotta ship :)

> 2) And the ideal output impedance for us users with sensitive to hiss custom iems. 
We will give you enough choice to be happy :)

Thank you. You've done a great job so far. We all appreciate it. 

But when you say gotta ship gotta ship, when do you have in mind for this "quick shipping" ? I know it was after Christmas or even February, so any changes ? 

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #325 of 5,999
Looks good! Agree with you 100% about the optical out, nice to have but not absolutely necessary.

Quote:

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #326 of 5,999
@Yuceka: We anticipate shipping early next year. I'm dying to finalize the design and as you can probably tell, have started to close the door on additional changes :)

So far, looks like we are pretty much there, so if no more changes, we will finalize the boards asap. Then - testing, tuning and shipping.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #327 of 5,999
I know this may be a somewhat difficult question to answer, but the "tuning" comment kind of caught my attention. Headphoneaddict stated in his impressions the demo unit virtually sounded like a dacmini. So will the final version sound pretty much like the demo unit or do you expect it will surpass that?

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #328 of 5,999
Yes I agree on the volume knob, the bigger the better since there is enuff space. This is the knob that got used the most, I recommend the size of at lest the 1/4 jack circumference. So if this puppy really sound as good as dac mini, I really think this will sell like hot cakes as its pack full of features. You are already way ahead of the competition.

I am very comfortable with the final design,. So yes ship ship ship.. Even better if we got it before Xmas.:D

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #329 of 5,999
Since there's a 1/4" jack, is the 1/8" really necessary? You could include a short profile adapter with the amp and leave it at that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back