The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #16 of 820
I received the email finally last night and ordered right before bedtime.
Keep all of the switches and functions! The level of customization was one of the strengths of the original M8. Don't water it down. Hopefully there will be a "lite" version though for the switch adverse (and also to provide a less expensive option in general).

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 820
This looks like the same size as my mixer face r4. Which looks a little more streamlined than the original HiFi-M8 V1.
Yes, Jerry -- we are using the same chassis. It's been proven "on the battlefield". Journalists and podcasters take MixerFace into everywhere with them, including conflict zones, to broadcast from, and it survives quite well. The chassis is the smallest possible where thickness is only driven by the size of the XLR jack.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 820
Does the USB input also charge the unit? Say if we're using this for a desktop set up, would we need to plug it in for power as well?
There are two usb inputs for a reason. The one on the left is for usb audio only. That jack does not take power. This is done to prevent the phone from deciding to charge the HiFi-M8 V2 and immediately draining the phone's battery. Some phones are dumb in that sense and we cannot help them. The right hand usb jack is for power. It basically like a power input jack, but we are using USB 5V so you can charge and power the HiFi-M8 V2 from any computer, iPad charger or similar 5 V USB "brick", which we all have laying around the house.

If you want to leave HiFi-M8 V2 permanently plugged into the wall and use it as a desktop amp for example, it ok to leave the power plugged in indefinitely. The internal battery will be topped off every once in a while (like in a cell phone) but there will be no harm done to the unit. Having said that, Lithium Polymer batteries like excercise and you would prolong the life of the battery if you let idly drain every once in a while. Ideally by taking the unit with you for a run. Or simply by unplugging the power cord and letting it work off the battery for 4 hours.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 820
Good lord. That’s lot of switches and buttons beating a helicopter control panel.

Make it thinner but wider, at least more pocketable. Transfer all similar switch/button to one side or other surface (see iFi micro BL). Remove unnecessary functions.
It's a flagship piece and it lets you do A LOT. Yes on the helicopter control panel. The feeling of "being in control" is part of the vision. It's actually not that complex :wink: thickness is driven only by the size of the 4-pin XLR. It cannot get any thinner than this if you want the 4-pin XLR and the majority of people we surveyed wanted that jack. I don't think we need to make it wider though. Seems that everything we need already fits and it does go into a pocket easily.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #22 of 820
I received the email finally last night and ordered right before bedtime.
Keep all of the switches and functions! The level of customization was one of the strengths of the original M8. Don't water it down. Hopefully there will be a "lite" version though for the switch adverse (and also to provide a less expensive option in general).
"For the switch averse." Love that! May be. But first things first, you know.... commitment ...

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #23 of 820
Any updates on shipment costs? I’m holding of until there is clarity. I don’t want to commit without some idea about the costs. The best price is already gone. Please consider a larger world than the US....

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #24 of 820
Any updates on shipment costs? I’m holding of until there is clarity. I don’t want to commit without some idea about the costs. The best price is already gone. Please consider a larger world than the US....
my bad, was trying to make a joke.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #27 of 820
So, how’s the ordering going? I think you said you need 100 to make them, correct?

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #28 of 820
@mgoodman,
Also, I wish the meter LED lights could be turn completely off, or it would be an optional feature. I bet most users are not interested in this feature (probably a good idea would be to make a poll/survey to gather users feedback). Personally, it will distract me and I would turn it off (or cover with opaque tape, same as I do with any other LED lights in my room).

I agree strongly here. Imagine using this thing on the subway or something and you have a bunch of meters flashing every which way! People might think you've got a bomb!

My suggestion is to make the meters an optional feature. I have no use for them--if I want to study the mastering levels of my music I'll do it at home in a DAW.

@mgoodman, is the value proposition here for sort of a fully balanced HiFi-M8 V1/BlueDAC hybrid? As someone who only uses IEMs when mobile, why shouldn't I just use a BlueDAC or comparable product when I'm on the move?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back