The CEntrance Hi-Fi M8 V2 Thread
Feb 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #556 of 725

Slim1970

Headphoneus Supremus
Mod House Argon MKIII's, no problem balanced! Sound is full range with body and bass.

IMG_0758.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #558 of 725

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
We got a Newfantasia HiFiMan Edition-X V2 cable from Amazon, with 2.5mm balanced and dual 2.5mm plugs, and the Hi-Fi M8 V2 does a fantastic job driving the Edition-X V2 from the 2.5mm balanced output. BTW, the older smaller BlueDAC also does an incredible job with this cable to drive the Edition-X. The Edition-X headphones are still mid-forward but much less shouty and also more refined and spacious sounding than the stock cable!

It may be the best $40-50 cable for Edition-X and HE-1000 V1, and you can add a $25-30 ddHIFI solid 90 degree adapter to use the cable with 3.5mm jacks or 4.4mm jacks.

This same cable works great with less efficient HE-1000 V1 and they sound fantastic from the 2.5mm too, albeit with less volume, but it's not necessary to drive the HE-1000 V1 from the hot side with an adapter unless you want to "feel" more bass, listen to low signal level recordings, or hurt your ears with music that is recorded at higher levels. As it is, the 3.5mm SE output can drive the Edition-X quite well, but the HE-1000 V1 will sometimes be maxed out when using the 3.5mm output.

Feb 12, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #559 of 725

So11rek

New Head-Fier
Even if you want to use headphones with low impedance I would recommend always using XLR output, because there is a very good difference in how M8 V2 drives it with 6.3 output and XLR.

Attachments

• 2021-02-12 09.07.59.jpg
    2021-02-12 09.07.59.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #561 of 725

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
Even if you want to use headphones with low impedance I would recommend always using XLR output, because there is a very good difference in how M8 V2 drives it with 6.3 output and XLR.
It might be more about the efficiency than the impedance. My Edition-X are incredibly easy to drive, like an IEM.

My hi-fi man HE-560 are low impedance but they’re also low sensitivity compared to my Edition X V2. Some low impedance headphones need more current to sound proper than others, and that’s where the four pin XLR output (or hot side) comes in and becomes superior.

But I did not notice a degradation in sound quality with the Edition X V2 out of the 2.5 mm jack as above, although either balanced out does sound better than the 3.5 mm jack. I’ll agree that the 4-pin XLR (or the 1/4” Hot Side) is very often a better choice than the 2.5mm with low impedance headphones, such as my Gradi HF-2 and HE-560/500 as well as my Denon D-2000.

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #564 of 725

mgoodman

Member of the Trade: CEntrance
I just want to say a huge heartfelt "Thank you!" to this entire community.

Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, thank you for your excellent comments and professional quality pictures. I hope you don't mind if we share some of these pictures on our website! There is serious talent in this thread (black is extremely hard to photograph).

A quick follow up note to say that we are chasing the last 5 people, who have not been replying to our emails, but looks like they have been found. No one is unaccounted for at this point. If you have not heard from us by now, please let me know at Info at CEntrance dawt com.

This has been a humbling experience. We are not planning to do any more crowdfunding campaigns if we can help it. It feels much better to be able to say "Product XYZ is in stock". Stay tuned for some upcoming announcements that will say exactly that.

Meantime, responding to several questions at once:

- We are waiting on the good old SONY-san to reply to our requests about LDAC. So far it's been "pitch black", but we'll keep pushing. LDAC requires NDAs and possibly some $$. We are researching it now.

- I have here on my desk some samples of the Pentaconn female jack. It's a nifty little thing, right in between 3.5mm and 1/4", so it seems reasonable that it's gaining steam. Ok, I should have said so 2 years ago. I know. It's all modeled up and ready to go into the very next product. But we're not giving up on the 4-pin XLR just yet.

Last point for now. Do you guys need even more power than what you have in the HiFi-M8V2? Something has been cooking in the lab, so I'm curious if there's interest. No preorders this time, only the real thing :)

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #565 of 725

MikeyFresh

1000+ Head-Fier
Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, thank you for your excellent comments and professional quality pictures
A big thanks to you and the team at CEntrance for persevering through a pandemic, the burning down of the AKM factory, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. It's nice to know there are trustworthy companies upholding their proud tradition and reputation earned over 20 year's time. I'm a very satisfied customer since 2012.

- We are waiting on the good old SONY-san to reply to our requests about LDAC. So far it's been "pitch black", but we'll keep pushing. LDAC requires NDAs and possibly some $$. We are researching it now.
LDAC would be a welcome addition if it comes to be, that's the only Bluetooth version that has ever truly impressed me, other than that it's a good 'ole wired connection for me.

If I may add one question on charging, I ran my unit down to a flashing LED late this afternoon and then plugged it in to charge, but it's unclear to me what I should now be looking for in terms of LED status when the charge is complete. Does the LED go out when the charge is done, or if not how would I know if the unit is fully charged other than to turn it on and see how many battery LEDs are lit?

Thanks in advance and congratulations on delivering another fine product. I'm sure I'll use it for years to come, and my nephew is also thrilled, you see I gifted him my HiFi-M8 v1 and he has since ditched the lossy Spotify for Qobuz Studio, and bought a pair of Sennheiser headphones. He has now seen the light.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #566 of 725

mgoodman

Member of the Trade: CEntrance
Does the LED go out when the charge is done, or if not how would I know if the unit is fully charged other than to turn it on and see how many battery LEDs are lit?
The charge LED will go off once battery is within 99% off full charge. This LED is independent of whether the unit is powered or not. Once you power it on, you should see 3 battery LEDs lit.

Charging goes faster when using a beefier power supply (for reference, it's the larger kind that comes with the iPad, rather than the squarish kind that used to come with the iPhone). Aim for 2.4A of charging current.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #567 of 725

drbluenewmexico

Headphoneus Supremus

Thank you for your patience, thank you for your support, thank you for your excellent comments and professional quality pictures. I hope you don't mind if we share some of these pictures on our website! There is serious talent in this thread (black is extremely hard to photograph).

A quick follow up note to say that we are chasing the last 5 people, who have not been replying to our emails, but looks like they have been found. No one is unaccounted for at this point. If you have not heard from us by now, please let me know at Info at CEntrance dawt com.

This has been a humbling experience. We are not planning to do any more crowdfunding campaigns if we can help it. It feels much better to be able to say "Product XYZ is in stock". Stay tuned for some upcoming announcements that will say exactly that.

- I have here on my desk some samples of the Pentaconn female jack. It's a nifty little thing, right in between 3.5mm and 1/4", so it seems reasonable that it's gaining steam. Ok, I should have said so 2 years ago. I know. It's all modeled up and ready to go into the very next product. But we're not giving up on the 4-pin XLR just yet.

Last point for now. Do you guys need even more power than what you have in the HiFi-M8V2? Something has been cooking in the lab, so I'm curious if there's interest. No preorders this time, only the real thing :)
Thanks for the updates!!

Feb 13, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #568 of 725

ayang02

500+ Head-Fier
IMO, I wouldn’t mind seeing the 2.5mm balanced port replaced by the 4.4mm. I would like to see both the 4-pin XLR and the 4.4mm ports coexist in a product.

Even AK started releasing 4.4mm DAPs, it’s time for 2.5mm to go.

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #569 of 725

Snly84

New Head-Fier
Why 4.4?
I think a smaller 2.5 jack is more convenient and needs less place.

2 mgoodman, can we expect LDAC in current m8 v2 or it's for the next products? Or if everything is OK with Sony, we will get an firmware update?

Also, find some problem in switching between usb and BT inputs. When I try to switch from usb to BT, BT does not start. What can it be? It starts when I power ON the whole unit, but not when switching from USB. Where were only 2 or 3 successful switching for around 30 attempts. Not a big deal, but strange. Is it normal?

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #570 of 725

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus

LoL, I begged and begged for Pentacon connector, but I’m making things work with adapters. It’s good to know it may have a future with you.

My Moon-Audio Silver-Dragon 4-pin male to 4.4mm female adapter is pretty transparent and doesn’t affect the sound, but not everyone wants to spend $150 on top of the $1800 it cost them for an HD-800s that come with a Pentacon headphone cable.

Current power levels are pretty good. In my review when I was originally thinking it needed another 3-4 dB of headroom for driving the HiFiMan HE-6, it turned out that was only necessary if using Tidal on Macintosh which has lower signal levels than other audio apps. With higher signal gain the clean power output was enough, so with Apple Music on Mac or iPhone, and Tidal or Spotify on iPhone the music signal level was high enough that it can even drive the hi-fi man HE6 OG with its current power output.

So, if higher power output might mean higher noise levels as you mentioned while developing this product, then it may not be a good idea unless it can have a black background with more sensitive headphones as well.

PS: all of my custom in ear monitors have 2.5 mm plug for balanced which is good on the cold side, but my full-size headphones often have 4.4 mm plug for higher power amps. The more fragile 2.5mm jack is best for small light IEM cables and not heavy full size cables that could put strain on the jack.

I do have ddHiFI 90 degree plug adapters to make 4.4mm plugs work in a 2.5mm jack, But some full size headphones like HD800s don’t perform as well on the cold side either. Others, like HE-1000 V1 and HE-1000se do sound great out of the 2.5mm jack, but I’m wary of using my thicker and stiffer Silver-Dragon cable on that tiny jack.

I also have ddHiFI 90 degree adapters to use a 2.5mm cable on a 4.4mm jack, and some devices like Palab M1-mini do great with IEM on the high power 4.4mm jack, even though it’s also enough power to drive HD600/6XX quite well.

So I don’t necessarily want to see the 2.5 mm jack go away because it’s perfect for small IEM. I consider the 4.4 mm Jack to be more of a full-size headphone jack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread