The Cayin C5 portable power house.
Aug 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #17 of 2,420
Before any impressions or anything, I have to say that the amp does look pretty slick judging from the pictures.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #19 of 2,420
This is agonizing. I want to see how long it takes for full charge from dead battery just to know. So far it is at around 2.5 hours. Very cool 3 orange light meter that shows the level of battery on the bottom of the amp. Good way to know how much charge you got left on the amp. I read that this battery can charge a smartphone from it's own which is cool so can be used as an extra battery bank therefore the mini to mini cable. I am surprised they didn't include a charging cable however.

Cutting corners on the accessories is ok by me as long as it sounds great.Oh and the build is solid all aluminum construction with plastic accents on top and bottom. It looks stunning in real life. A bit of a concern is if this was dropped I can see the plastic bottom or top of the amp being shattered would make it not look so good. It is very nice looking, almost too nice. I can see the 3rd light blinking when charging it is almost done. To be continued. Will not sleep till I hear this thing. Lol

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 2,420
Ok I broke down. It is not fully charged but I had to hear it. It is hooked up to my DX90 line out..

Aha guys..I don't need to compare this amp to my 2Stepdance or my ICAN...I am using my L2 for my initial listen.. This thing sounds unbelievable..One of the best sounding amps out of the box I have ever heard. This thing sounds better than the way it looks. The stereo field is layered beyond normal amplification to the point where it is holographic..Sound stage is already impressive out of my L2 but using this amp. Music is coming at me from all direction very similar to how the 3D enhance feature works on the ICAN. But the crazy thing is the C5 don't have this enhance feature. Very natural..It is not a sterile neutral type sound but much more musical and fluid sounding amp. Organic perhaps.. The lushness of vocals and crispness of instruments simply sound stupendous, world class .This is easily on par with my ICAN. I think the bass could be slightly better. And this is without the bass boost.. Bass boost adds fullness to the lower end but is done tastefully here. No overblown mess. Without it the bass is reference sounding. No bass boost needed. Power for days. I am just using low gain with so much power room on tap. It is going to be interesting to see what cans this thing drives as it can reach blaring volumes on the quick.. I will have more to write when I get some hours on this amp but I can safely say. This amp is more than worth the money spent on it.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED..I can see this amp quickly becoming very popular around here..Can't wait to put some time on this amp.

The sound is decidedly mature, grand in scale, smoothness showered with clean detail.  The sound is expanded in height, width, depth..If your waiting for me to say this amp sucks..Nope..What I am going to say is. This is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard..Will give your expensive desktop amp a run for sounds and probably has more power. Lol. I thought my ICAN was the best amp purchase of this year I have made. I have to rethink this.

Now you can buy with confidence. This amp is not for the faint of heart..You guys are gonna LOVE this sound.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #21 of 2,420
Wow those are some great first impressions. I was going to save up for an Alo mk3 to power my orthos, but these might be a much cheaper alternative.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #22 of 2,420
I can't tax this amp if I tried with anything I own. I have no doubts in my mind this will drive orthos. I have my H3 in my ears. WOW. Lol Never heard my XBA-H3 sound this nice. Lol. So far zero noise floor. The sound is definitely quality. I turned it on high gain and I don't think I will need to use high gain even with my SRH1540.. This amp is for real fellas.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #23 of 2,420
holographic....layered....fluid...natural.....matured....clean....3D....

there goes my wallet...sigh.

wait...it doesnt have a dac...whew, my wallet is safe !!

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #24 of 2,420
I would say there goes my wallet but $600 vs $160 = happier wallet

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #25 of 2,420
Ya and this is on literally the first 2 tunes I heard. I have no idea if this is one of those amps that actually gets much better with about 200 hours of use.. IF this is the case..It is already mind blowing. I can't imagine. I can tell there is just a touch of rawness of sound speaking of, in the upper registers and the bass could use a bit of tightening but I am certain it is because it is new hardware..As it is. It already sound stupid refined and that is what is getting to me.

Gonna start conditioning the amp asap.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #28 of 2,420
What is the price and where did you buy yours?

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #29 of 2,420
Ebay. $169. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-new-Cayin-C5-Stylish-Portable-HIFI-Audio-Headphone-Amplifier-/121401846940?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item1c441d2c9c  Lol already sold 4.. The power of suggestion.

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 2,420
I have also bought one C5 few days ago from Taobao and will be delivered tomorrow.
It cost RMB $858 + RMB $18 for shipping fee, that is around US $142

Good to see Dsnuts with his amazing first impression and I am quite looking forward to listening to this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back