The Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III Stereo Headphone Amplifier has landed
Feb 11, 2007 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Solitary1

1000+ Head-Fier
The background on this amp is here: http://www.amb.org/audio/ck2/
and the construction thread is here: http://headwize.com/ubb/showpage.php...d=6605&fpage=1

On a whim, I had MisterX build one for me. I think there are a few others here that have built one, but haven't seen any press on it.

Well, just opened the box up a few hours ago, took a few pics and then plugged her in. I'm in a transitional state with my cans right now so, the HD600s are all I have to test it with. I'm throwing different SACD discs at it now, and I am very pleased. Deep, tight bass, forceful mids and silky highs are the first impressions. They seem to have a good synergy with the Sennheisers. As it burns in, I'll post further impressions.

Feb 11, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 77
MisterX always does such beautiful work.

As for the price of components, it's not too bad. I've got everything but the case for one of these in a box next to the computer. I think it cost about $100, but I still haven't bought the case. That'll probably be another $50 and I'll probably drop a few more bucks getting the case powdercoated. I think I'm through with painting. Adding feet, jacks, and a few other things should push to price to roughly $200.

I might have a chance to solder on it this evening, but if not, definitely tomorrow or next week. I've heard nothing but good about this amp and the project doesn't look difficult at all. I'll post my impressions when it lights up and sings.

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh wow, such beautiful amp. Just saw them at headwize a month ago.

How much did everything cost?

Uncle Erik gave a good rundown on the raw parts cost I'm sure. I'm hesitant to post what I paid MisterX, he may be fine with it, I just didn't ask him. Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll give you the cost.

It has about 5 hours on it now and I'm in love with it. It has a very nice soundstage to it, it's rockin' the 600s.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 77
After spending most of the weekend with the amp (and being told burn-in had already been done), I have come to the conclusion that this is one sweet amp. I'm not going to say it's the best solid state amp out there, but what it does, it does very well and at less than $300, it's hard to beat. Hands down better than the Headfive, and it may sway me from the X-Can v3 (jury's still out). I'd like to compare it to some of the better mid-priced home amps around to gather a benchmark for it.

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 77
I recently finished building myself one. I am driving Grado's and a W1000, and I've got to say, this thing is no slouch! It seems like this amp drives a full range of impedances quite well. I'm just loving the detail and the tight bass.

I spent about $130 including the case using all premium components, Vishay-dale resistors etc (but no boutique components).

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently finished building myself one. I am driving Grado's and a W1000, and I've got to say, this thing is no slouch! It seems like this amp drives a full range of impedances quite well. I'm just loving the detail and the tight bass.

I spent about $130 including the case using all premium components, Vishay-dale resistors etc (but no boutique components).

Hey, what case did you use for it, rb67?

I'll have the board done tonight, but still haven't decided on the case.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 77
I used the Hammond 1455Q2201 as recommended in the parts list. The board slides right in the grooves and everything is a perfect fit.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 77
i've heard favorable comparisons against the dynalo...anyone want to ring in on this? also, any comparisons with k701 or other akg cans?

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #11 of 77
I've heard the Gilmore Lite (basically a Dynalo) at a meet. While I don't want to arrive at any final conclusions, I do prefer the CKKIII over it. The bass seems to be just right and detail better than the Dynalo. Please, take this with a grain of salt as I couldn't compare it side-side and plus I have the bias of building the CKKIII. However, I can they are on the same level of performance.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #12 of 77
I have boards; I can build that part of the amp no problem, but I have no tools to make a case and can't afford to buy 'em
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 77
I had to borrow my roommate's Dremel for my case
tongue.gif

You can always get the Hammond with plastic face plates. That way it is possible to do without power tools.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #14 of 77
I'm in love with it. It does nothing badly, most things superbly. Good to see people with other cans express their impressions also. I'm glad you guys have chipped in with your thoughts/plans so this thread doesn't die. I didn't want to be the only poster, and we need some damn VARIETY around here. I'm sick of seeing 6 different threads about the same 2 or 3 amps.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 77
Hopefully we'll see more posts about the CKKIII as they start trickling into people's hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back