The Cardas smurf cable sounds GOOD!
Jul 9, 2002 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Neruda

Banned Moderator
I got the chance to hear the HD600s with the cardas smurf last weekend, at my good friend kwkarth's house. I'm not ashamed to say that I loved them! With that cable in place of the stock POS, the HD600s are transformed to my ears. Gone (or virtually so) is the dip at 6-8kHz, and gone is the veiled quality of the treble. Gone also is much of the midbass hump, leaving a much cleaner and more neutral midbass. Perhaps the most obvious thing about them was the incredible transparency and "rightness" that they had, even during very complex songs. With solo instruments that did not reach either frequency extreme (like a tabla solo that I listened to, with no accompanying instruments) I could not tell the difference between the K501 and the HD600, the midrange performance was so close between the two. But when a lot of instruments were playing, the HD600s really shone. The K501 sounded smeared in comparison. I also heard the more extended top end on the HD600s, no doubt helped by the cardas. The only fault I could hear on the cardas-equipped HD600 was that on some tracks the midbass could still sound a bit heavy and ill-defined, but at this point that's a pretty small fault. Needless to say I want a pair for myself, but at approximately $450 (or more) for both, I'll have to wait a little while.

oh, and I might as well add that I found this cable to have excellent construction quality. It was thinner than I thought it would be but felt very strong. And I thought it looked great with the HD600s too! it's so cool having an aftermarket cable on a headphone. it makes them seem far more audiophile than just having a stock cable (which, of course, they are
wink.gif
).

Jul 10, 2002 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
I also heard the more extended top end on the HD600s, no doubt helped by the cardas. The only fault I could hear on the cardas-equipped HD600 was that on some tracks the midbass could still sound a bit heavy and ill-defined, but at this point that's a pretty small fault. Needless to say I want a pair for myself, but at approximately $450 (or more) for both, I'll have to wait a little while.

Gee, thanks Neruda. I had pretty much discarded the idea of buying the Cardas cable......If that had come out of the mouth of anyone else, .......

Oh well, I'm doomed!

wink.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by MooGoesTheCow
i think if you're planning on a trip to hell, you better bring a jacket...because i believe it just got a whole lot cooler.
wink.gif

LOL...Moo....
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 47
like I said, they sound very different to me. the usual qualms--laid-back, veiled, etc--are no longer present. The cardas does wonders!

Just remember that I still hate the stock HD600.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #9 of 47
Neruda
I assume these comparrisons were done on the Max, right?

It'd be interesting to hear your views on the midbass on the RKV. It's funny to me that while we have always diverged completely on which flaws were more tolerable in the HD600 v K501 debate, that I'm in complete agreement with you about what the HD600's flaws are. I also agree that the Cardas cable does much to equalize the sound from the HD600--something I want to take issue with in some kind of purist way, but something that seems to pay off in spades despite my reservation.

Oh well. Welcome to Team Sennheiser.

Jul 10, 2002 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 47
hey, whoah whoah! let's not jump to conclusions.
wink.gif
Right now I do think the sennheiser/cardas pair sounds better than the K501, but at the same time I think the K501 could improve just as dramatically with its own cable. I know kwkarth would just love to get a second cardas cable and graft it onto the AKGs, so I'll just have to wait patiently for that day.
biggrin.gif

Still, right now I think I could be considered team sennheiser (against my will!), but I'm certainly not ready to jump the team AKG ship.

anyway, yes, the comparisons were done on the max. Do you believe the midbass sounds better with the RKV?

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
hey, whoah whoah! let's not jump to conclusions.
wink.gif
Right now I do think the sennheiser/cardas pair sounds better than the K501, but at the same time I think the K501 could improve just as dramatically with its own cable. I know kwkarth would just love to get a second cardas cable and graft it onto the AKGs, so I'll just have to wait patiently for that day.
biggrin.gif

Still, right now I think I could be considered team sennheiser (against my will!), but I'm certainly not ready to jump the team AKG ship.

anyway, yes, the comparisons were done on the max. Do you believe the midbass sounds better with the RKV?

Neruda
Since I agree with you that the Cardas cable bumps the recessed upper mids and tames the lower mids of the HD600... are you sure you'd want this effect on the K501?? I'd think you might be better off with a slightly warm cable on the K501, but surely not one designed to "fix" the HD600.

The bass and midbass on the RKV is the best I have heard with the HD600 thus far--detailed, cohesive smooth and deep. To me, the HD600 still sounds a little muddy on every other amplifier I've heard it on.

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
the Cardas cable bumps the recessed upper mids and tames the lower mids of the HD600

This is weird. I find the lower mids recessed and the upper mids pretty much spot on wiht the stock cable.

Are you guys using tube amps then trying to compensate for tube colorations with another cable?

I'd like to find out what's really going on before committing to purchasing the Cardas cable.

Jul 10, 2002 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
This is weird. I find the lower mids recessed and the upper mids pretty much spot on wiht the stock cable.

Are you guys using tube amps then trying to compensate for tube colorations with another cable?

I'd like to find out what's really going on before committing to purchasing the Cardas cable.

Beagle
I've heard the HD600 on about 30 different amps and my views on them are pretty consistent. With what you've said you felt, you might be happier with the StefanAudio Art cable, though, which to me strengthens the bass further.

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

Beagle
I've heard the HD600 on about 30 different amps and my views on them are pretty consistent. With what you've said you felt, you might be happier with the StefanAudio Art cable, though, which to me strengthens the bass further.

It seems the general consensus on the Cardas cable is that there is a definite improvement over the stock cable, as opposed to simply a "different" sound.

I find the HD600 very clear, open and airy using the RA-1, although the sound is somewhat distant (esp in lower mids)compared to Grado cans on the same amp. Using the X-Cans, the HD600 is "filled in" more and the sound is less distant and lower mids are brought up.

So as you can gather, I'm not sure how the HD600 is actually "supposed to sound".

I just want to make sure the price for the Cardas is justified when I can alter the sound (in a similar manner to what's been described by Cardas cable owners) by changing the oval foam pieces to a stiffer, less dense type of foam for pennies.

Jul 10, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #15 of 47
Beagle
Have you heard the HD600 on other amps beside the RA-1? The RA-1 sounded really smooth for the HD600, which surprised me (in a good way) but it really sounded restrained compared to other amps and the bass was really where it was hurt the most. If your opinion is only based on the HD600/RA-1 combo, you may find it changing if you get to hear the HD600 on other amps.

I haven't done any of the driver/chamber mods on my HD600 so I can't comment there. The Cardas cable was to me a fairly dramatic improvement. I'm not sure anyone yet has said they prefer stock to the Cardas... whereas a few people (myself included) preferred stock to the Clou.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back