The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #1,471 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suppose I should've realised the reason for the big wings, seems like they'd have a big effect on drag, but by the looks of it the actual competition doesn't have any elements where top speed would drastically effect your competetivness.
Bet its very fun to drive, fastest thing I've ever driven is a 1.2 Corsa
confused_face.gif

My excuse for not noticing the uni is that I looked at the pics on the computer and then replied on my phone without looking at the pics again
wink.gif

I study mechanical engineering (foundation year) at swansea.

Nah, the L/D ratio is actually pretty decent this year. We made some modifications to the profiles this year, and they're working better than ever.

The bigger worry would be the effect on suspension and chassis set-up/design. The wing's position means that it becomes a large moment arm, and the changing downforce over speeds means the front suspension must be set-up to account for changes in overall vehicle "weight".

We run un-sprung wings, so that does remove some of the problems if done right.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:09 AM Post #1,472 of 1,511
So, my sister's fiance recently took delivery of this:

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Excuse the crap photos. Took these whilst the car was up against the garage door with my mobile phone.

My god this thing flys. I've driven and been in some pretty quick stuff over the years, but its surprising how nicely the VW V6 engine pulls when you put your foot down. Seemless shifts from the DSG as well.

There are some issues though. The ride is extremely firm, and on crap Melbourne roads the low-profile tyres make their presence felt (I also can't help thinking those rims are asking to get kerbed). Visibility out of the front is rubbish; You basically have to guess where the front of the car is, and vision out the back is rubbish for a station wagon. No wonder they installed parking sensors on the front and back.

Still, pretty good fun.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,473 of 1,511
Hey! She got the R36... that's awesome. It's beautiful. I love wagons, err, um, estates. I just wish the US got such cool cars like that. I can't wait to see the MKVI Golf R if/when it makes it here.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #1,475 of 1,511
Anyone else here done racecraft/defensive driving courses?

I just finished one yesterday, and did some others earlier in the year.

The Slalom in my little Echo (Yaris for those in the US) was absolutely hilarious and great fun. It was nice having a chance to see what the little car could do on the limit, and it was surprisingly quick for something with a 1.3L engine.

Some of the other guys brought stuff like Merc SLKs, Commodore + Falcon utes and subaru legacy station wagons. Those utes looked like they were a handful to thread through the tight track.

I seriously do think some sort of advanced driving course should be mandatory for people these days since driver education, at least over here, is very much just based on teaching someone to pass a stupid test.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #1,477 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else here done racecraft/defensive driving courses?
I just finished one yesterday, and did some others earlier in the year.

I took Keith Code's Super Sportbike school this August. They had us on ZX-6's (too small for me), but it was more of a "go as fast as you can around the turns", than a safety school.

It was one of the most fun things I've ever done in my life. Right next to static line parachuting, scubadiving, and landing a plane on my own without any on else in the plane, which was #1.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #1,478 of 1,511
agreed. people should be required to take a driver's ed course, advanced driving techniques class or some type of driving course before they can get their license renewed. i've seen too many stupid things and in fact, i yesterday, i almost rear ended an SUV because the lady pulled into my lane without looking. she was busy eating a hamburger while driving when i passed by her.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #1,479 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
she was busy eating a hamburger while driving when i passed by her.

If talking on the phone while driving is a crime; I solely believe eating a hamburger while driving should be as well.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #1,482 of 1,511
I find riding gokart to be really fun.
Indoor track with a length of just 3-400 meters, gokarts with a 9hk Honda engine and max speed of about 50kmh. But oh boy what a rush!
biggrin.gif

_21012008163448_jpg_1699d.jpg

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #1,485 of 1,511
The ones I have ridden had a 270cc engine. 4 stroke though, with a low power outtake.
Plan to try some more powerful ones on outdoor track this upcoming summer. Should be even more fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back