The Car/Motorcycle/Motorsport/Anything fast enough to do something stupid in thread!
Jan 30, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #601 of 1,511
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #602 of 1,511
Call me a wanker, but I'm starting to develop an affection for the maybach.

I don't know, maybe its the fact that I've seen several around HK (I'm staying at a place next to a Maybach service center...), but I'm starting to think its a pretty good car to be driven in. It just seems to blend beautifully into Hong Kong scenery, and in contrast to most cars over here its actually rather subtle because it looks so close to an s-class.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #604 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys like normal cars at all?

There are many old OR cheap cars that I am very fond of.

BMW E30 M3
Toyota AE86
Toyota MR2
Honda Civic EG/EK Hatchbacks
Honda Fit
Honda S2000
Toyota Prius (strangely...)
Mercedes Benz 190E
Peugeot 205
Acura RL
Latest Lexus LS460

...wait, what do you mean by "normal"?

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #605 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richard, I sure hope you don't have any problems with your GT-R's launch control and have to replace the transaxle for $22k.

This is just ridiculous... Reprogramming the Nissan GT-R -- Inside Line

It obviously has many people upset, but this guy really scares me..
YouTube - Adolf Hitler's R35 GT-R Original

The Hitler video is hilarious for those who understand the issue but a little puzzling to most.

Yeah, the LC has been a hot internet issue, however, the reality is there has ben less than a 1% failure rate and it has been with people who severly abused their cars. I haven't even used LC because I'm not the drag racing type, but I'm glad mine has the LC feature and won't be having Nissan remove it.

I'm going to make it down to LA so hope to see you there.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #606 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you guys like normal cars at all?

I love my BMW 530d turbodiesel, year 2001. Decent horsepower, (~190 stock, 220hp after chipping, even more possible but reliability starts to take a nose dive without other mods) tons of torque (~400nm stock, over 500nm after chipping) through the whole powerband and eats practically no fuel even if I try. Perfect daily driver that can still burn rubber at will! I wont accept anything more normal than that. Thanks to diesel engine it wont sound even remotely "sporty" though, unfortunately... tick tick tick
frown.gif

I would be happy to own even newer version of 530d that has even more tweaking potential, it can accept even higher horsepower chip tuning before reliability starts to suffer.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #607 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup! I've had it since July '07 and am loving every mile. It would be fun to do a cruise with the Atom and GT-R on some of the twisty roads out your way. I should be in the Bay area toward the end of March with the Atom in tow.

Very cool. Nothing is gonna compare to the visceral experience of the Atom. Definitely drop me a line when you're in town.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #608 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many old OR cheap cars that I am very fond of.

BMW E30 M3
Toyota AE86
Toyota MR2
Honda Civic EG/EK Hatchbacks
Honda Fit
Honda S2000
Toyota Prius (strangely...)
Mercedes Benz 190E
Peugeot 205
Acura RL
Latest Lexus LS460

...wait, what do you mean by "normal"?

Stuff more like that. I just find conversations about the top 5% of cars out there kinda trivial and boring. I mean, yeah, GTRs and Maybachs and Ferraris are all great and everything, but 95% of the population can never afford one, so they really don't do anything for me. I mean, if I had the money, I'd probably spend it restoring something older and more unique than buying something that was going to depreciate rapidly, no offense to anyone in this thread.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #609 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Hitler video is hilarious for those who understand the issue but a little puzzling to most.

Yeah, the LC has been a hot internet issue, however, the reality is there has ben less than a 1% failure rate and it has been with people who severly abused their cars. I haven't even used LC because I'm not the drag racing type, but I'm glad mine has the LC feature and won't be having Nissan remove it.

Yeah, it's way overhyped. It reminds me of the whole "Glass tranny" in the early WRXs. There are thousands with stock transmissions today, doing fine. The problem is idiots would beat the SNOT out of them, and then ask Subaru to fix it like they weren't beating the **** out of the car. It's kind of stupid.... if I remember right, the same thing happened to the RX7 twin turbo back in the 90s. It's quite simple. If you beat the HELL out of a car, things break. Don't want things to break? Don't beat on it.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #610 of 1,511
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my BMW 530d turbodiesel, year 2001. Decent horsepower, (~190 stock, 220hp after chipping, even more possible but reliability starts to take a nose dive without other mods) tons of torque (~400nm stock, over 500nm after chipping) through the whole powerband and eats practically no fuel even if I try. Perfect daily driver that can still burn rubber at will! I wont accept anything more normal than that. Thanks to diesel engine it wont sound even remotely "sporty" though, unfortunately... tick tick tick
frown.gif

I would be happy to own even newer version of 530d that has even more tweaking potential, it can accept even higher horsepower chip tuning before reliability starts to suffer.

I love BMW 850s, but after having to come 'rescue' many of my friends with 3 series and 5 series, I can safely say I will never ever ever spend money on a BMW. What unreliable pieces of crap. Ultimate maintenance machines, IMHO. Just the other day my friend's 3 series overheated because the coolant reservoir cracked, which had recently been changed with new coolant AT THE DEALER. Know where it was? Oh behind the engine. And in order to add coolant, you have to unscrew the radiator cap. There's not a way to pour coolant into the tank at all, just through the cap itself which reads DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT.

Great design. Ugh. I'm glad you're having good luck with yours, but holy crap.... I don't understand paying that much to have something that breaks down all the damn time with uber expensive parts.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #611 of 1,511
I am quiet a big hot hatch fanboy. I love the Renault Clio, which is a pretty good drive even in normal cooking spec.

Civic Type-R is also a very good car, but I prefer the JDM sedan version over the ugly, fat UK spec car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back