The Canon Thread
Jun 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #46 of 2,718
I also need opnions on graduated nuetral density filters. I have one, a Cokin P series G2. I wonder if it is too gradual. And, I wonder if there are others out there that are a better quality material.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #47 of 2,718
I am thinking of getting a powershot A640 because it is close to on par with teh G7 for half the price and the g7 is pretty on par with SLRs

It can also take two teleconvertors

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #48 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just picked up the 30D with the 17-85 lens. I don't know much about photography, but am hoping this camera helps me along the way to producing some respectable shots.

Hi Sleestack, nice body to start with. Try to get Canon 50mm 1.8, it's so cheap yet one of Canon sharpest lens. You won't regret it.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #49 of 2,718
Does anyone here think owning a 50/1.8, 85/1.8, and 100/2.8 is redundant? Because I'm a little reluctant to purchase the 85 since I already own the other two, but can't really think of any other lenses that I want and can afford.

Oh and Beerguy, try the Sigma 12-24 on a fullframe camera like the 5D...12mm is WIIIIDE!!

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #50 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also need opnions on graduated nuetral density filters. I have one, a Cokin P series G2. I wonder if it is too gradual. And, I wonder if there are others out there that are a better quality material.

I also have the Cokin system - you can get filters from Lee ($$$), Singh-Ray ($$$), Tiffen ($$$$) and Hi-Tech ($) that will also work with it. The Hi-Tech ones are cheap, but work well for me - and they also come in hard and soft grad. I really only use mine if it's an easy horizon to mark off with a hard grad, otherwise I just take multiple exposures and blend in Photoshop. The most useful one for me is a .9 hard grad. The Hi-Tech one is $40, I think the Lee filter is $90 or $100, and the Tiffen is almost $200.

As for a good polarizer, look for B+W or Hoya multi-coated. Top-notch stuff.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #51 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone here think owning a 50/1.8, 85/1.8, and 100/2.8 is redundant?

This is not like having multiple headphones, of course it makes sense.
biggrin.gif

The 85mm is over 1 stop faster and you can get pretty sweet background blur. I think this is perfect range for subject isolation. I find 50mm too short and 100 a little long as well as 2.8 not fast enough. 85/1.8 is fast in autofocus also and would be sweet in fast paced shooting.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #52 of 2,718
edit: woops i just saw Ian bought the 85L
I like the 85f1.8 it has the best price/build/performace ratio there is. the hood is sold seperatley and is snap-on which is alittle disappointing. i realy dont like 50mm on a crop body, its not long enough to get good portraiture and its not wide enough to get scenic. an 85mm and 35mm are a good combo IMHO.

it's a shame Canon does not make more lenses like the 85mmf1.8 the build quality is above average and the image quality is very good, i decided awhile ago that an Ultrasonic motor with FullTimeMaunual focus and non extending sealed front element are an absolute must. unfortuately one must often go straight to the L family to get those features.

i have the 85f1.8 and the 135f2.0L, the 135 is a better lens. even though its slower Fstop it has better bokeh, its very sharp, and the build is incredible. but focal length its too long for many situations and the 85f1.8 makes for the perfect compliment, the 85mm will reliably work for shots that the 135L "go-to lens" doesnt.

i also have the 35f1.4L, the 180f3.5Lmacro and the 300f4LIS. they are all very good and my only complaint is the 35L is made from smooth plastic like the 85f1.8, considering its $1150 i think Canon should have stepped it up to magnesium like most of the other L family lenses.

FWIW i would really enjoy a 90mm tilt/shift, i am hoping to buy one soon. in the spirit of the thread i still use 10D and 1D bodies but the 1D is taken apart at the moment.

Jun 22, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #54 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's official folks - I am now the proud owner of a 30D with EF 50mm 1.8 lens.

Of course, now I'm thinking the 85 might have been the better option...
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

at $70 and f1.8 you made a wise choice, go have fun shooting.
icon10.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #55 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: woops i just saw Ian bought the 85L

in the spirit of the thread i still use 10D and 1D bodies but the 1D is taken apart at the moment.

Yeah I should've updated my first post to reflect my choice.

What happened to your 1D that necessitated it to be opened up? I used to have the same cameras. I had sold the 10D because it is just too slow in more ways that one. I use the XTi now. It lets me do a few more things like AF is better (since it's same as 30D), more modern flash algorithms, more megapixels so I can crop, a bit better low light capability, faster start up times, and lighter weight. Sometimes I like to use more than 1 camera at a time and it gets crazy to have two larger cameras.

Quote:

rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Congrats! It's better to be wider so you can crop if you're using one "general" purpose lense IMO.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #56 of 2,718
Quote:

Does anyone here think owning a 50/1.8, 85/1.8, and 100/2.8 is redundant? Because I'm a little reluctant to purchase the 85 since I already own the other two, but can't really think of any other lenses that I want and can afford.

I wouldn't hesitate to add the 85 /1.8. Great lens, fast AF, has excellent bokeh. You can get some great OOF effects with this lens.

My buddies Crate tube amp:
20D, 85/1.8 handheld at 1/10s, f/1.8, ISO1600
138346483-L.jpg

Quote:

Oh and Beerguy, try the Sigma 12-24 on a fullframe camera like the 5D...12mm is WIIIIDE!!

Believe me, I've already pondered that one. I know someone who has a FF Kodak body, and has a 12mm lens. I've seen what that combo can do. Someday...

Jun 23, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #57 of 2,718
Quote:

rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif
the 50mm is a great all around prime lens, and I'm sure it will see plenty of action.

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #58 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not like having multiple headphones, of course it makes sense.
biggrin.gif

The 85mm is over 1 stop faster and you can get pretty sweet background blur. I think this is perfect range for subject isolation. I find 50mm too short and 100 a little long as well as 2.8 not fast enough. 85/1.8 is fast in autofocus also and would be sweet in fast paced shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't hesitate to add the 85 /1.8. Great lens, fast AF, has excellent bokeh. You can get some great OOF effects with this lens.

My buddies Crate tube amp:
20D, 85/1.8 handheld at 1/10s, f/1.8, ISO1600

Believe me, I've already pondered that one. I know someone who has a FF Kodak body, and has a 12mm lens. I've seen what that combo can do. Someday...

Well the thing is, I already don't use the 100/2.8 for portraits because f/2.8 is actually kind of slow and the focusing, while already fast for a macro lens, is still slow for anything other than static portraits. And while the 50/1.8 is my main portrait lens right now, 50mm is a little short and the thing is horribly soft wide open, not to mention the rather unreliable AF (but hey, I'm already happy with what I got for $70). With the 85, I'm looking for real AF performance and sharpness wide open.

And the real problem is, if I jump on the 85, that'll leave me with just those three lenses, and I'll be kicking myself if I ever need to shoot landscapes. It's either the 85 or something along the lines of the Tamron 17-50. Agghh I wish I were richer.

Oh and btw beerguy, 1/10s @ 85mm handheld is ridiculous, you have got to be on benzos or something.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #59 of 2,718
I'm going to be buying an XTi as a first digital SLR, and I'm having a little trouble selecting a lens. I want something that's good for walking around and taking pictures of people. I'm not going to be doing portraits or anything - just people that I see about; general purpose, basically.

I've got it narrowed down to two lenses: the Canon 17-85mm and the Sigma 17-70mm. Each of these, it appears, has advantages and disadvantages - the Sigma has better optics and a fast aperture, while the Canon has a better, quieter autofocus, the extra 15mm of reach and image stabilization. I think I'm leaning towards the Canon due to its image stabilization despite its optical faults (distortion and chromatic aberration, which can be fixed in post-processing, right?) but I keep finding that shots out of the Sigma are a lot crisper and better-looking on the whole. For the same price - $1400 CAD - and bearing in mind that I'll also be buying the Canon 50mm f/1.8, which one would you recommend?

Also, are there any specific accessories that I should be getting, such as lens hoods or filters?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Jun 23, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #60 of 2,718
Quote:

Oh and btw beerguy, 1/10s @ 85mm handheld is ridiculous, you have got to be on benzos or something.

biggrin.gif

I was at the minimum focusing distance of the 85, and just moved back and forth to focus. I shot a burst and hoped for a sharp one. This was the best of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back