The Canon Thread
Jun 19, 2007 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,718

lan

Videographus Supremus:Makes audio cables using super-advanced materials, like "some clear tape" and "some not so clear tape."
I know there's a lot of people interested in photography here and there's already a Nikon thread so I figured it's about time us Canon users had a thread for ourselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

The latest thing that have been churning in my head is trying to choose a fast prime. One of the things I'm concerned about is autofocus speed.

50 f/1.4. I have this already and I find it not fast enough for my needs. I get some missed shots and it's somewhat frustrating.
85 f/1.8. I hear this is very speedy. Only weakness seems to be chromatic aberations?
85 f/1.2 has slow autofocus. The II version is faster but is it fast enough? Fast enough for sports? This is also pretty pricey but it's versatile.
135 f/2. I hear this is very speedy also. I'm thinking this might be the most appropriate for me for subject isolation and indoor sports. Problem is, it's too long for everyday use.

EDIT: 85 f/1.2 it is.
biggrin.gif

I was messing around with focal length extenders. I tried the Canon 1.4 , Sigma 1.4, and a Kenko 1.5. Oddly the performed differently when focusing. The Canon slowed things down too much for my tastes. Sigma was good. The kenko seems to home in which is odd but it works pretty well as well as working on more lenses since it doesn't have protruding front element.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 2,718
I loved my 85mm f/1.8 when I had my XT and 10D. So sharp close to wide open.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 2,718
Finally! I'll post my Elan 7e with craptastic 28-90mm kit lens. Thinking of getting the 108mm.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know there's a lot of people interested in photography here and there's already a Nikon thread so I figured it's about time us Canon users had a thread for ourselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes about time
icon10.gif
Now we have some catching up to do with the Nikon thread!!!

RE: fast AF. I can attest to the 135mm 2.0L speed. It is the fastest AF lens I have. No matter what lighting condition, it hardly ever hunts and pecks. Yeah, focal length is questionable for some dSLRs...especially on a 1.6 crop. It was a no brainer of a portrait lens for me, though, since I knew I wanted a FF dSLR. So that pretty much only led me to the Canon camp
icon10.gif

Well since this is a Canon thread, should we start up the rumor mill on what the next Canon might be? a 1Ds mkIII, a 5D mkII, or a 40D? I think the 1Ds is the next that will be upgraded. Canon has to provide good reason why someone would spend twice as much as other Canons just for its MPs.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do Canon Camcorders count as well?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure it's made by Canon isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif
Can't wait for some of your test footage hehe.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 2,718
Yay a Canon thread, finally
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post the first couple of pics for this thread, taken with ALL CANON gear...

Sometimes the pop-up flash on the Rebel can come in handy when you forget your lighting equipment at home (Rebel XT, 100mm macro):
crabspider1.jpg

And who doesn't love beautiful flower pics (Rebel XT, 50mm f/1.8):
purplebells.jpg

Hooray for Canon!
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #10 of 2,718
haha canon user here too! but i don't have anything amazing, as head-fi has sucked away the majority of my money and i'm only in college so i don't have an expendable budget and must choose one hobby at a time
tongue.gif
--- this is what i've got:

canon digital rebel xt
ef-s 18-55mm kit lens
ef 50mm f/1.8 mkII
sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro
bogen/manfrotto 3021bpro/488rc2

i'm trying to find a telephoto to replace my sigma as it has very poor indoor performance and is not fast enough for indoor use. i don't know what to get though as i don't have much money. i can't decide if it's more important to have IS or to have f/2.8 (can't have both, too much money --- actually i don't even know if i can afford the lenses good enough for my needs as it is!)

i'm debating between the canon 70-200mm f/4L IS and the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 ex --- what do you guys think would be a better choice for indoor use? is it more beneficial to have f/2.8 over f/4 or IS over no IS?

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #11 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha canon user here too! but i don't have anything amazing, as head-fi has sucked away the majority of my money and i'm only in college so i don't have an expendable budget and must choose one hobby at a time
tongue.gif
--- this is what i've got:

canon digital rebel xt
ef-s 18-55mm kit lens
ef 50mm f/1.8 mkII
sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG macro
bogen/manfrotto 3021bpro/488rc2

i'm trying to find a telephoto to replace my sigma as it has very poor indoor performance and is not fast enough for indoor use. i don't know what to get though as i don't have much money. i can't decide if it's more important to have IS or to have f/2.8 (can't have both, too much money --- actually i don't even know if i can afford the lenses good enough for my needs as it is!)

i'm debating between the canon 70-200mm f/4L IS and the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 ex --- what do you guys think would be a better choice for indoor use? is it more beneficial to have f/2.8 over f/4 or IS over no IS?

IS only helps with camera shake, it won't stop subject movement. If it's too dark to get a high enough shutter speed to stop movement, IS won't help. I'd go with the faster lens for indoors. If you have problems handholding, a monopod will help.

Fast + IS is more useful, but more $$$. The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS is an excellent lens, but very pricey.

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 2,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And who doesn't love beautiful flower pics (Rebel XT, 50mm f/1.8):
purplebells.jpg

Nice flower. What kind is it? I've never seen that before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What exactly are you going to take photos of? I really like IS. I think it depends what you're going after.

f/2.8 Pros
- Extra stop of light which allows you stop motion better
- Can give you your more subject isolation
- Autofocus is better

f/4 Pros
- Lighter lens
- F4 IS is one of the sharpest Canon lenses
- more is in focus given that it's f4.

IS Pros:
- gives you more handhold ability and more sharp pictures. At night time this is great for non moving subjects
- another useful thing which people don't mention often is you can increase your depth of field by stopping aperture down. When I'm not perpendicular to my subject and part of them may get out of focus, I stop down to get a bit more.

Canon Pros:
- Faster and quiet autofocus (depends which lense but the one you mention, yes). This is important in lower light IMO.
- L color is awesome

Sigma Pros:
- it's cheaper

One important thing to note is quality when the lens is operating at it's extremes, whether wide open aperture, at it's closest, and farthest focal lengths if it's a zoom. I do not know how Sigma 70-200 2.8 operates at 2.8. On some lenses they become softer. Whether you like that or not is up to you. I know that on some lenses, to me, they are not that useful because I don't like the images. e.g. 50mm @ 1.4. I use that lens at f2. I wouldn't want to buy a faster lense just to stop it down.

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #14 of 2,718
I have a Rebel XT with kit lense and BG-E3 battery grip. I'm currently shopping for an everyday lense (I think you guys convinced me on the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 in another thread, especially at <$300 used). I'll also be getting a 70-200 in some variant and I should know which one by Thursday or Friday depending on price (waiting on discount list). And by mid July, I should have a monopod and either a 430EX or 580EX flash.

But more importantly, I need to practice taking shots.

I spent a weekend with the 17-40L and it's a ton faster than the kit lense. =T It was a very fun lense to shoot with, though I would have prefered a bit more zoom (taking pictures during a Memorial Day BBQ with about 50 friends). But hey, can't complain when you get to try gear out for free.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 2,718
I have the 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/1.2L, 85/1.8, 135/2L and the 24-105/4L. Used on my 350/Rebel Xt (planning on getting a 5D or the 'sequel'). The 135/2L is amazing but a bit long on 1.6x so it is a bit awkward to use regurarily. My new 50/1.2L is unfortunately misfocusing badly so I need to get it fixed. The 35 doesnt get much use. The single lens I use the most is the 85/1.8 which is the one I'd recommend to people trying out primes; gives good out-of-focus if you need it and the perspective is quite flattering for people shots. I'm a speed freak (as in aperture) so I have a hard time using the 24-105 which is good, but too slow in low light...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back