The Canon Thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,657 of 2,718

Thanks.  I took my Whibal card yesterday and I must admit I forgot to use it yet again.  Perhaps I need to give my D600 more time before I switch.  Can you believe it--the wife is on board with me switching to 5D3's... I guess she got tired of hearing me moan about D600 colors/skin tones.  

Just shows you things always look greener on the other side.  I (kind of) love my 5D III (more the L lenses actually), but I've been thinking about picking up a used/fixed D600 on eBay for those landscape urges.  However, the new D810 looks mighty tempting; Nikon really improved the AF accuracy, speed, and frame rate over D800, and even 5D III.

I actually think 5D III (and most Canons) error on the side of bit much magenta/red vs. Nikon's green for skin tones.  With either, post-processing on a decent calibrated monitor is inevitable 
frown.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,658 of 2,718
36MP files...I'll have to think about the D810 if I stick with Nikon, but wow those are huge files.  For adequate processing/navigation speed in LR with my 24MP files, I need an i7 processor (laptop), 16gb memory, and SSD.  And I still need to render 1:1 previews in advance if I don't want any lag when zooming in.  

Yes, the dynamic range on the D600 is simply amazing for landscape :D 

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #2,661 of 2,718

What's the verdict? I'm tempted to swap my 17-40L for this. I'm thinking the 16-35/4L IS and my 100L IS Macro would make a great two lens "general" travel set.

Great lens, definitely a step above the old 17-40. Center is sharp at all focal lengths, corners are leagues ahead of the 17-40. The IS is very handy for handheld shooting.

f/11 1/13s

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2,664 of 2,718
I'm wondering more and more if I should get a 24-70 f/4 IS now that the price is starting to look ok, with a 135mm, and get rid of everything I have. that would make the ideal lazy guy got it all in 2 lenses.

or I stay as I am with 16-35L 50 and 85L (still wish for a 135)and maybe get a second camera to stop switching lenses all day long(I'm on a 5DMKII right now)?

the guy carrying the bag(me) find the second solution to be the dumbest in history and would be very pleased with a 1camera 2lenses combo for holiday trips. but the one forever in love with the 85 tries to find excuses. 
I've been 2steps away from getting the 24-70 and selling the rest for 2months now and trying that lens in a shop made me feel like if it wasn't the 2.8version, it was a very good and practical lens for anything not moving too much.
you guys who had it all and did it all, do you have an opinion? should I go for the simple and lighter option that I would carry around more, or stick with my lover85 and make the bag bigger at the risk of not taking it all the times?

arrrrrghhhhhhhhhh I want them all!!!!!!

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,667 of 2,718
I'm lucky because I work with a rental house so I get exposed to the newest as it comes in. If anybody has any burning questions with regards to Canon gear I can prob give an answer since I've had hands on with the majority of canon's lens range (save for the super tele primes) :) 

Current personal set = 5Dmk3, 24l II, 85 1.8, Sigma 50 1.4, 70-200 F4 (non-IS). 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,670 of 2,718
  Saving up for my first DSLR kit now. Looking at either the 7Dii or the 70D if it is on cheap sale. Going birding with it only, pairing it with the legendary 400mm 5.6 prime. Have rented 70D and 7D with this lens many times before. Can't wait till the 7D mark ii reviews hit, i really want to see the iso performance. 

From what I've read so far, sensor performance should be very similar to the 70D, which is quite good in Canon-land but still behind compared to the competition. Still, the main advantage of the 7DII would be its AF performance, which I hope they've significantly improved over the original 7D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back