The Cadillac of connectors? Huge plugs!
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I've lately had some guys give me DIY cables in various trades. I'm just wondering what this horrific trend is Switchcraft plugs is? These things are so huge - nearly two inches long - that they are just intrusive. I can't even push my equipment back into my rack. I guess they're the best quality available to Dyi'ers, but there has to be a better solution. And I see lots of these monsters being put onto cables portable rigs! Don't people realize that 1/8" plugs are fairly fragile and can easily get bent out? These Switchcraft plugs also weigh a ton. If you want a model of a good portable connector, look at Headroom's standard plug for their Airheads. HeadRoom Mini to Mini Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears This is one of my favorite all time plugs because it's flat. FLAT! A smart design. Nice to push in, takes up zero room and it avoids ruining your 1/8" input. Quality? I've been using mine for 8 years without a problem. I ask my fellow Headfier to end the trend of huge, wasteful, space-hogging connectors -- the great American Cadillacs of connectors -- and start producing some high quality small cables! Thank you. My rant is spoken!

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 18
I believe in Neutrik plugs for the very reason you posted.

If the cable is too big for a mini plug, you may want to re-consider using it for a mini-plug application.....but that is just me.

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 18
While I'm not a fan of most commercially available connectors I think the trend of using 18ga or 8 wires for mini-mini cables is a far bigger problem for today's amp manufacturers. Those cables put way more stress on the jacks at the amp than they were ever intended to see.

I'm with you chad, the little Cardas cable that Headroom sells is fantastic and has been a staple of my rig for years.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 18
I also think the Canare f12 is disgustingly over-sized. I am using one at the moment but I plan to re-terminate my lod very soon. It's also much harder to solder than the Neutrik ones. Minimalism FTW.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 18
I'd like to join the "I hate big connectors when not necessary" club.

Small and practical is how I prefer to roll.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 18
the big connectors have their uses: i use them when dubbing betamax to dv video: with xlr connectors or full phono plugs. it is silly to have such a large connector for a portable especially as the plug itself is so small and could very easily damage the amp or lod or player.

if only that cable was a bit shorter, i would not have sold my amp (maybe). i prefer actually the ones that fit even flatter: westone terminated cables are flat as hell and lovely for portable applicationsl

Nov 13, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 18
If there was a DIY version of those flat plugs im sure people would be all over them. But from experience there just isnt a DIY jack that small on the market. A shame, because it would make an absolute killing i think.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 18
I have found possibly the perfect cable for making mini to mini and iPod LOD cables -- thin, tri-axial and very high quality. Now all I need is to get hold of some off a roll and see if I can't make a kick-arse LOD cable. But yet, 18 AWG is speaker-cable, not IC cable.

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've lately had some guys give me DIY cables in various trades. I'm just wondering what this horrific trend is Switchcraft plugs is? These things are so huge - nearly two inches long - that they are just intrusive. I can't even push my equipment back into my rack. I guess they're the best quality available to Dyi'ers, but there has to be a better solution. And I see lots of these monsters being put onto cables portable rigs! Don't people realize that 1/8" plugs are fairly fragile and can easily get bent out? These Switchcraft plugs also weigh a ton. If you want a model of a good portable connector, look at Headroom's standard plug for their Airheads. HeadRoom Mini to Mini Cable @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears This is one of my favorite all time plugs because it's flat. FLAT! A smart design. Nice to push in, takes up zero room and it avoids ruining your 1/8" input. Quality? I've been using mine for 8 years without a problem. I ask my fellow Headfier to end the trend of huge, wasteful, space-hogging connectors -- the great American Cadillacs of connectors -- and start producing some high quality small cables! Thank you. My rant is spoken!

why pay that much for even that cable? you can find the same cable on ebay for half their cost. i found the Cardas hp mini cable to be much better then that cable for just a few bucks more.

i am not a believer of big portable cables or connectors. i know that as far as XLR's are concerned Neutrik is the best hands down, mainly for their strain relief way. the last thing you want is a pulled out connection point in a rig of fixtures 40ft high and you have to firgure out which of the 30+ interconnects is the bad one 20 mins before show time! even as far as audio goes that fancy cable won't sound to good with a pulled connection point, but you will have a dead quiet background!

Switchcraft was always the worst i ever worked with, oh i love when the bass in a show shakes the connector right out of the socket cause the cheap push release never worked. and don't get me started on lighting fixtures that used Switchcraft made jacks..you have any idea of the number of locked up xlr cables i had to deal with?

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe in Neutrik plugs for the very reason you posted.

+1
I've used Neutrik in pro- and consumer-audio applications for about 10 years now and have never been let down by them. Even their RJ45 sockets are really good.

The only time I've had to use oversized 3.5mm jack plugs was when making my mini-mini interconnect with 9mm thick starquad (to be honest the whole thing was completely over-engineered
biggrin.gif
). Since the largest diameter cable that Neutrik 3.5mm plugs can handle is 6mm I had to use Canare F12 style plugs, and even then I had to file them down to get the cable to fit! Note to self - use smaller cable next time...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Another vote for neutrik.

The mini plugs are great, both the straight and right angled versions.

I also like the RCA's, both the midline (which for 1€ are the best connector I know of) and the profis, which are much sturdier and IMO, have a great strain relief. I used them once, but at 15€ locally I don't think extra price is justified.

I never tried "boutique" connectors like cardas or others, so I can't comment on those.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there was a DIY version of those flat plugs im sure people would be all over them. But from experience there just isnt a DIY jack that small on the market. A shame, because it would make an absolute killing i think.

Neutrik makes a number of right angle plugs. Check around and you might find what you're looking for.

I'm another fan of Neutrik. So is a friend who gigs a few nights a week with his band. They drag their gear in and out of bars constantly and the Neutrik gear holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back