The Brise Audio Japan Cable Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #46 of 801
@AnakChan, any idea how to differentiate between the different Brise Model? eg PTK2017S looks similar to UPG?
That's a good question! I guess if you had the MMCX like pictured it's the Rh+ but instead of Oyaide MMCX it's the Ref (OFC copper) version of the MMCX. And the way it's differentiated from the Ref is that the choker is not darker coloured maple but the Rh+ type light coloured wooden. I'll ask the Brise Audio guys how to tell the difference.

BTW, the PTK2017S was very limited and not sold after the show today. There's another show next weekend by e-earphone (PotaFes), I don't know what Brise is going to show there.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #48 of 801
Anyone using this cable with the Z1R's? Comparison with a Kimber Axios?

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #50 of 801
And how did the Brise do vs. the stock cable?
vs. the Sony/Kimber collaboration?

Have you had the opportunity to hear them with any other cables?

Thanks

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #51 of 801
And how did the Brise do vs. the stock cable?
vs. the Sony/Kimber collaboration?

Have you had the opportunity to hear them with any other cables?

Thanks
This is going by memory as I had since sold my MDR-Z1Rs - not to mention that I heard the cables at Fujiya show last year and in April this year (as well as their showroom in March) - in other words, some time ago. So if we take my memory with a pinch of salt, the Brise 8-wiire UPG001HP Ref seems to smooth out the highs a little from the treble peak I heard in my headphones. And also it makes the MDR-Z1R sound less dark from my opinions of the MDR-Z1R.

I couldn't afford to spend $800 on cables to fix the MDR-Z1R and for the Utopia so the Brise 8-Wire UPG001HP went to the Utopia instead and I eventually sold the MDR-Z1R.

As mentioned, I never really got to try the Sony/Kimber properly so I cannot comment on that one.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #52 of 801
Thank you for the reply.
I agree that pricing starts to become an issue when one compares cable costs vs. cost of the headphone. While I did purchase a Kimber Axios for my Utopias that was $900 for a cable on a $4k headphone.
$900 for a $2300 headphone starts to change the value equation. That is why I am currently trying out the $250 Sony/Kimber version. I think I like what it does (only 75 hours on it so far) however I am not thrilled with the physical quality, build etc. The "true" Kimber (Axios) is in a different league.

Jul 16, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #53 of 801
Here are some pix of the Brise Flex001. I have to say they're supple, unlike the other Brie offerings! Sonically decent but I heard them at the show briefly.

Snapseed.jpg
Snapseed.jpg

Jul 16, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #54 of 801
I tried the UPG and UPG Ref today and nearly pulled the trigger on the Ref version. Compared to the Dita Truth cable on the Dream I felt that it brought the mids forwards a little, tamed the trebles, but lost a little energy. Resolution stayed the same though. Bass quantity could be slightly reduced, but maybe perceived as more textured. The biggest difference was a widening of the soundstage though.
Overall, I might see it a complement to the Truth cable, and even a slight upgrade.

BUT for me the sound qualities do not balance out the poor ergonomics, mainly the memory wire which sticks out so much, especially on top of the Dita Dream which already has an extended plug thingy. The non-Ref version fairs better there, but the sound did not bring anything noticeably better then the Truth cable for me.

Jul 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #56 of 801
@Sleepow : My REF below. 4 wire though. For the memory wire, I do agree on the stiffness. Hence, I spend some time setting it to shape (which looks something like below image).
When in use, I will need to use it together with the brown slider. After that it should be fine, for me at least.

mg6hx.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #57 of 801
No, I did not get to the show this time, I spent time at e-earphones.

The Ref I tried was also the 4 wires version.
I think one problem is the Dream earphones themselves, as their shape already puts the plug high on the ear. The cable they come standard with has a bent plug, and even then requires a sharp U bend on the cable to nicely go behind the ear.
But I did like what I heard and will have to give them another chance.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #59 of 801
Wow, I had a 3 month head start, can't complain about that :D. For earphones, yes the ergonomics is not as flexible (especially compared to their Flex001 pictured above), but sonically, the 8-wire sounds fantastic. I think the 8-wire is really more suited for headphones like for the Utopia which I have. I also have the 8-wire for the Tralucent 1Plus2.2 and for that, you're right, it's more for stationary use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back