The Boss is back
Jul 31, 2002 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rickfri

No longer lurking
I just finished listening to the new Bruce Springsteen CD "The Rising". Not as good as "Born to Run" or "Darkness on the Edge of Town", but not far off. It's very good, very good indeed. Maybe after listening to it a couple more times it will rank up there with the best of Springsteens CD's. And even very good Springsteen is better than most CD's out there.

Jul 31, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by rickfri
I just finished listening to the new Bruce Springsteen CD "The Rising". Not as good as "Born to Run" or "Darkness on the Edge of Town", but not far off. It's very good, very good indeed. Maybe after listening to it a couple more times it will rank up there with the best of Springsteens CD's. And even very good Springsteen is better than most CD's out there.

Thats a pretty bold statement, I will check this Cd out but I would be shocked if it "was not far off" from the great Cds:
-river
-darkness

It has been 22yrs since "the river" and every CD since has been a let down to me, even though the critics love them, no way
-nebraska
-born in USA
-tunnel of love
are in the same class as above two CDs IMO.......anyway I will give new CD a listen.
BTW my favorite CD is "darkness" songs like
-streets of fire
-candy's room
these are the real deal for me.

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 18
Well, if it's not as good as Born To Run, it must be really shaky then, since BTR had about three decent songs on it. The Wild, The Innocent and The E Street Shuffle was a masterpiece, Darkness was pretty consistent but the man definitely had a fetish for filler on his other records. And he wasn't exactly a lyrical genius.

And the name Brendan O'Brien is enough to scare me away from the new one.

Don't get me all wrong, Springsteen has some great songs in his portfolio (including the recent American Skin (41 Shots) , but great albums? Just one...

Jul 31, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

Thats a pretty bold statement, I will check this Cd out but I would be shocked if it "was not far off" from the great Cds:
-river
-darkness
-born

I agree that great CDs ended with River. I might put "The wild, the innocent & the e street shuffle" in with "The River" (this always seemed to me to be one great album stretched over two).
I don't know if this new one is as good as these four, but it is certainly better than "Nebraska" or "Born".

Aug 2, 2002 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 18
22 years since "The River?"
Man, I am old.
Just saw him on Letterman. Just made me think his best stuff was with the E Street Band. There seems to be some energy there not present in his other albums. I will be getting "The Rising."
No one likes "the wild and the innocent?"
md
(edit) My all time Bruce song is "Thunder Road"

Aug 2, 2002 at 12:03 PM Post #6 of 18
The reasons I like "Darkness" best of any CD, look at that cover photo........tough punk look, defiant, almost looks like Johnny Thunders here, the boys are going out tonight lookout!. Songs are dark, full of despair and dread, but there is fabulous dynamic range. Take the track "streets of fire" after a slow dark build up intro song just explodes with power and fury and lumbers along like a powerful juggernaut that will not be stopped! These songs are worthy of the Boss moniker.......not the later watered down bland material.

Essential Springsteen, The Boss
-Darkness Edge of Town
-The River

Very good Springsteen, Mid level Manager
-Born in the USA
-Born to Run

Aug 2, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 18
Hmm, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth $75 to see him live...its a lot of money for me (I'm a lowly grocery store checker for the summer)...but I'd really like to go.

Aug 10, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #10 of 18
Not that this should influence ones choices, but "Rising" is already
#1 on Billboard charts. As I said I would be shocked if it came anywhere near his golden age 20-25yrs ago.

Aug 14, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Listened to "The Rising" twice since getting it yesterday; already a house favorite. Every song is strong enough to succeed as a single, the sound is excellent, and Bruce and the E Street Band rock their asses off. These are songs from a mature Boss; many deal with loss as is evident in the dedication of the album to the WIDE circle of victims from the 9/11/01 atrocities. Perhaps this tying in of those losses to the whole human experience is one of its sources of strength.

[size=medium]HIGHLY RECOMMENDED![/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 18
After waiting almost six weeks (pre-order), my heavy vinyl copy of The Rising finally arrived last evening. I've been enjoying this two record set immensely today...WOW! Sound, material, and package art is incredible.

P.S. I thought it was a bit bizarre that my album actually arrived on 9/11...

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 18
With any luck, DarkAngel, you, too, will be old someday. Don't miss a rockin' good time with the Boss. For some (other) irrational reason, I am no longer infatuated with all the music and observations of callow youth. Looking out of my "old" eyes, things look pretty much the same as they always did, only more so. I neither accept nor dismiss based on the solitary consideration of age. Maybe I can still learn something . . .

P.S. The Big Bang is now supposed to have happened 12 to 14 BILLION years ago. Now, that's OLD !
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
I am almost ready to get this but:

The Boss is old now!

For the same irrational reason I will not be getting any "new" Rolling Stones Albums, these guys are almost 60!

Aww, come on..DA. Some things actually get better with age...

The new Stones stuff is much like their older material-(inconsistent). IMO, there is some really "fine" stuff scattered among the lesser material on the newer albums. I think Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, and Bridges to Babylon etc. have some remarkable songs.

The Springsteen album is a classic without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back