The Blue Lola (vs. my AKG K553 Pro)
Jan 22, 2016 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RockStar2005

Headphoneus Supremus
I compared these 2 headphones over this past week by listening to Hi-Res rock music (soft & hard) and taking note of how those tracks sounded on both headphones. Here is how everything turned out for me:

Looks/Design: So I picked up the beautiful Blue Lola (in black) off the Sweetwater website (awesome seller!) after hearing so much praise about it. (My assigned Sales Engineer's name is Mike Godlove. Great guy!) Usually I buy from Amazon, but since Amazon was out of stock and charging tax anyway on this item, and Sweetwater wasn't, I went with them (they too offer free shipping). The Lola arrived in a very nice box with accessories (a 3m audio cable, and a 1.2m audio cable with in-line remote) and a sweet thick "soft case" with magnet locks. The Lola is said to be made of metal, and it shows. It's a very well-built TOUGH set of headphones. Very adjustable, even more so than other headphones. They have a real "old school with a new twist" appearance about them which I really like. Very unique. Their design is said by Blue to be inspired by the suspension system used in Formula One racecars. I love the look of my AKG K553 Pro headphones too, which is important, but I can't deny that Blue wins here at least for creativity, though I can't say for sure which design I like best.

I love the look and design of the Lola, and appreciate that they offer a DETACHABLE cable, which is something I wish AKG would've done on the K553. Doing so would allow me to replace it with a 1.2m/4' cable instead of being stuck with the 3m/10' cable, which I have to tie up to keep tidy. Maybe on the K554 AKG will finally wise up? (They released the K551, which DID feature a detachable cable ((though it had an in-line remote......... mehh lol **UPDATE: I NO LONGER BELIEVE IN-LINE REMOTES INTRODUCE MILD DISTORTION TO THE SOUND**)), so I don't know why they reverted to a fixed cable on the K553?! Bad move.)

Comfort: I found that even though the Lola is heavier and seemingly bigger than my K553, it was still pretty comfortable once you got it on into place, which for me took a few seconds, where with the K553 it just goes on right away. I find my K553 to be slightly more comfortable over all, but that may be in part b/c I've had them for a couple months now and they're more broken in. The Lola does offer a bit more padding on the bottom side of the headband than the K553 though. (The K553 has SLIGHTLY less padding there than the former K550. For some that's been an issue, but for me it's fine. Still, I don't know why AKG did that?) **UPDATE: A friend of mine who just got these suggested slightly pushing/squeezing the ear cups onto your ears once you have these on, which gives them a more snug fit (in a good way). I definitely they were even more comfortable after doing that........at least equal to the K553, but probably more so since the K553 barely has any headband padding.**

Sound Quality: After 3 separate listening sessions vs. my current AKG K553 Pro headphones, I've decided that as GREAT as the Blue Lola headphones are that I'm going to return them and just keep my K553s. The Lola proved to be a FANTASTIC pair of headphones, and I would recommend them to anyone (especially for their great price!), but for me, they focused more on the bottom end (bass & drums) and not enough treble as my K553s do. On acoustic guitar tracks, for example, the guitars just had more "shine" to them on the K553 than what I was hearing from the Lola. This was my main reason for deciding to stick with my AKG headphones. Unlike other headphones I've had that were more bass-enhanced and therefore would sometimes muddy up the mids and treble, the Lola does an INCREDIBLE job of isolating and keeping the bass in its place, as well as being very clear. The lack of "shine" had nothing to do with the emphasis on bass and everything to do with how they were EQ'd by Blue. **UPDATE: I think with the right custom EQ, the Lola COULD in fact have the same great highs the K55X series does.** UPDATE 12/10/2017: A friend of mine got these and I took a crack at EQ'ing the treble end, and after doing so, I DID feel they revealed a little bit more detail than before. So I think I like them more now than when I wrote this review! lol It's possible they now match the K553 in the treble region, but I'd have to compare both to be sure.**

For anyone though who loves like rap/hip-hop/EDM/dance music or just bass in general, the Lola is probably better than any other headphone I've tried out because it isolates its somewhat enhanced bass sound even better than my K553 does WHEN I activate "Bass Boost" on my Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC on the K553. But it's especially better at those genres of music than the more expensive headphones I've previously owned which were NOT only "somewhat" bass-enhanced, just bass-enhanced. Like the K553, the Lola has 50mm speaker drivers, not the usual 40mm (i.e. Beats, Sony, B&W, etc.), so from the Lola you get to enjoy a more "spacious" soundstage, like my K553 too (also 50mm) (of course, there's more to achieving a bigger soundstage than just having bigger speaker drivers). Those 40mm ones might've had more "shine" on the high end though, but they definitely again did not have the soundstage the Lola or K553 have, and their bass sound did again to some extent muddy up the mids and treble. Either way, my AKG K553 won out (for me)!

**Update: This 2017 review by Headphones.com seem to view the Lola the same way I do regarding the bass and the highs.**

AKG K553 Pro:

MD-5833_20150326122252_1ff852e2334bfbb4.jpg

Blue Lola:

Lola2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 23
  I know it might be a little old but thanks for the little review ! I just ordered a pair of Lola's to try it out after reading you.

Well come this Sunday, it'll be ONE year old actually! lol

No problem! Glad you found it useful. 

Very cool!!! Please come back here after you've tried them out for a bit and let us know what you think! 

What is your source? Phone, DAP? 

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 23
  I also ordered a pair of Mo-Fi to compare both of them and will keep the "best" or the one that suits me more !

Oh nice!

You should've really just ordered the Sadie as they say it's the IMPROVED version of the MoFi with less joints........increased comfort.........and slightly better sound (improvements to the EQ which were made based on CUSTOMER requests). But it's $50 more. From what I can see, it JUST got released and is available for purchase right now from Blue or Sweetwater

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 23
Hmm interesting ! The thing is in Canada I am having hard time finding their headphones in shop around my place. I got a Mo-Fi at Costco.ca and found the Lola at London Drugs store for 229$ CAD which is a really price in my opinion. Never heard of Sadie yet ... !!

Will keep an eye open for her !

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #12 of 23
  Hmm interesting ! The thing is in Canada I am having hard time finding their headphones in shop around my place. I got a Mo-Fi at Costco.ca and found the Lola at London Drugs store for 229$ CAD which is a really price in my opinion. Never heard of Sadie yet ... !!

Oh ok. Well see the links I sent you. Blue or Sweetwater MAY deliver to Canada for all I know?? You can always call or chat with each and ask. I know Sweetwater has a chat option at least. 

Yeah Sadie, Ella, and Satellite are brand new. See the links I sent you for more info. You can can click on area above price for each to get sent to each's page. 

Sadie and Ella JUST got released this week I believe, and Satellite will come out later this year............spring or summer perhaps? But that one's a NC/BT headphone. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 23

So which did you end up keeping dieslow? The Mo-Fi or the Lola??

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #14 of 23
I picked up the Lola on clearance from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago for $138 - really stellar for the price. Bass is tight and clean and doesn't overpower but it definitely can growl when it's called!

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 23
I picked up the Lola on clearance from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago for $138 - really stellar for the price. Bass is tight and clean and doesn't overpower but it definitely can growl when it's called!

Nice! $138 is a STEAL price too!

Yes I felt the same way when I tried them out. If you happen to use like Poweramp or any player app with a 10-Band EQ, you can prob adjust the treble end to make it better too (per my review), but it was already great anyway. I think for the $200-$300 category, the Lola is prob the best choice. I'd say the Bang & Olufsen 2nd Gen H6 is even better, except I found them to be a bit too uncomfortable to keep. I currently have the Meze 99 Classics, which I JUST got. They are the best headphones I've ever tried (max I've ever paid was $400 for any headphones, and these sound better than any of those and are only $309). Just did a comparison review on them vs. the AKG K551s. See here if interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back