The Bijou or the Crack OTL amplifier?
Jul 6, 2011 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RockyFi

New Head-Fier
They both cost the same really but I'm not sure which is better or better suited for me.  
I would like to drive the Sony xb700 rated at 24 ohms.  I have found that I do love my bass if that matters.
I already have a DAC kit to go with it too.

So what do you think is better in this case? 

The Bijou, from cavalli audio

or

The Crack OTL, from bottlehead.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
The Bottlehead Crack by design isn't suited too well for low impedance 'phones.

x2.  The Crack is great with high impedance cans but, as expressly noted on BH's site, does not perform well with low impedance cans.

With respect to pricing, if you're looking at the Bijou kit on glass jar audio, you should note that their kit does not include a transformer, an enclosure, or input jacks.  The Bottlehead kit, by contrast, is all inclusive.

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Aug 3, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Aug 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 16
The Bijou drives low impedance cans just fine IMHO. Many think otherwise. It sounds fantastic with my 25 ohm Denons and I don't even have the negative feedback circuit in my amp. However, were I using it strictly for low impedance cans, I'd probably opt to include the negative feed back circuit. This is why the Bijou is so good at driving low and hi impedance cans. It's a very flexible amp and sounds good with many different cans. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Tommy

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 16
I've only had one amp (used frequently) and that was the D10 cobra.  I had the T4 but I never used it with my SM3 because it sounds fine from the HP jack.  I sold it and am really looking forward to the bottlehead crack.  I don't mind making things, it gives it a sense of accomplishment (even though I didn't make the components  =P)  But I am really leaning towards this amp...=)

Quote:

Aug 4, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
I've only had one amp (used frequently) and that was the D10 cobra.  I had the T4 but I never used it with my SM3 because it sounds fine from the HP jack.  I sold it and am really looking forward to the bottlehead crack.  I don't mind making things, it gives it a sense of accomplishment (even though I didn't make the components  =P)  But I am really leaning towards this amp...=)

Good choice on the crack. You're going to love it. Did you get a hold of bottlehead to see when the next run will be?

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 16
I did mention that I was interested in on the forum here where they did group buys and Doc B.  Said they would do another group buy for 15%.  I know some people want the speedball upgrade but I didn't read anything about it.  I might need to because they said they were giving a discount on the upgrade also.  Not too sure if Doc will give that upgrade a part of the discount but I will see if he will.  =D  Doc did say that if we could get at least 10 people we could get the discount.  Sounds nice I just need to inquire about the DIY gamma 2 dac.  =D  

Quote:

Good choice on the crack. You're going to love it. Did you get a hold of bottlehead to see when the next run will be?

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 16
I did mention that I was interested in on the forum here where they did group buys and Doc B.  Said they would do another group buy for 15%.  I know some people want the speedball upgrade but I didn't read anything about it.  I might need to because they said they were giving a discount on the upgrade also.  Not too sure if Doc will give that upgrade a part of the discount but I will see if he will.  =D  Doc did say that if we could get at least 10 people we could get the discount.  Sounds nice I just need to inquire about the DIY gamma 2 dac.  =D  

How does the group buy work? We get the discount on the base price and each pay shipping charges separately to have it delivered to our own places? Or do we have to ship to a single address and redistribute from there?

How many people do you have so far? Count me in if the discount is 15% - if speedball is discounted as well, I'd be up for that also. PM me when ready. Thanks.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #14 of 16
Oh I wasn't the one who was going to get the group together.  I mentioned I wanted to get one but I don't know how to put it together.  I do have a solder but if it didn't come with a manuel I don't think I'd be able to put it together.  

Quote:
How does the group buy work? We get the discount on the base price and each pay shipping charges separately to have it delivered to our own places? Or do we have to ship to a single address and redistribute from there?

How many people do you have so far? Count me in if the discount is 15% - if speedball is discounted as well, I'd be up for that also. PM me when ready. Thanks.

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #15 of 16
No worries there.  The kit comes with a very beginner friendly, step by step instruction manual, with color photos showing you exactly how to assemble the amp.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back