The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,371 of 12,546
I'd go for the Magni, personally. The Little Dots are better if you get a II or III.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,373 of 12,546
Dec 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2,376 of 12,546
I see. I personally don't wan't to take the risk 
biggrin.gif
. I've never soldered and if I ever do I would prefer for it to be a cheaper project like a Cmoy or even a cable

Still thanks though! I will do some search though

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,377 of 12,546
Oh man... got my new Orange Amperex PQ's. They take a bit of the "air" out of my DT880s so Infected Mushroom doesn't sound as impressive as it does with the stock GE tubes; however, there is more detail resolution, and vocals are somewhat improved, maybe a little less grainy. The sound is a bit warmer but I think the tonality of everything is improved. I'm hearing things I never heard before from songs I've listened to 200 times!! I haven't spent much time with my HD650s lately and only a few hours since I got the new tubes. I don't want to be swapping tubes very often but I think these are really growing on me. What's awesome is that they will sound even better after 50-100 hours on them.

Seriously, I listened to the first 3 songs from Legend of the Black Shawarma and I've heard multiple things that I didn't hear before. Their music is like ear candy. DT880s for life!

EDIT: I keep hearing new things. In every single song I've listened to since I made this post. This is heaven. Best $50 investment I've made. Makes me wanna buy another pair just to be covered for a while. Or 10 pairs.

EDIT2: This is heaven. And this is only with ~10 hours on them.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #2,378 of 12,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously, I listened to the first 3 songs from Legend of the Black Shawarma and I've heard multiple things that I didn't hear before. Their music is like ear candy. DT880s for life!

The best eargasm I've ever had was with DT880's playing the song Vicious Delicious from Infected Mushroom album with the same name. Seriously, even though I don't often listen to electronic, the bass in that song paired with other effects in the background is hypnotic. Its hits so freaking hard. You really see how much bass DT880's are able to kick out in that song, immense punch, almost blurs your vision, yet sound is perfectly clear and without a hint of distortion. It really shows how much superior it is in terms of bass compared to HD650's which have a reputation of having more bass. Yea...lol, right. :p   Anyone who think DT880's (at least 600 ohm version) is bass light, is as wrong as people who think the earth is flat.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #2,379 of 12,546
That song is crazy. I mean, I've heard LotBS 100 times and not heard the things I heard last night. I didn't want to take my headphones off because they sounded so good. I'm excited to listen when I get home from work tonight.

And yeah, DT880 bass is awesome.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #2,380 of 12,546
I have both the 880 600ohm and the 650 currently and while the 650s provide more bass, it is less refined and articulated than the bass of the 880. I can see how some would find them seemingly bass light, but for me, the 880s are well extended and provide more detail rendering in the low frequencies. Another resounding thumbs up for electronic music with the 880s. Yummy stuff.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #2,381 of 12,546
They are just so airy... the sound is like floating around my head. Sometimes I forget I'm wearing them. After more time with the Amperex tubes (having left my Lyr on all day) I can say that they definitely make the DT880s more revealing but warmer. It's a strange combination and some songs don't have the clean-cut eargasm majesty that they previously did with the GE tubes. However, they make vocals even better and again, the tonality of everything is improved as a whole. But it's definitely a warmer sound. The attack and decay is a bit softer than I'd like, but it's enjoyable. I find myself longing for the GE's clarity and black noise floor, going from music to, suddenly, NOTHING -- for a split second. It's freaking awesome and I miss it.

Right now I can't say which tubes I like better; both are better at different things. Damnit, why can't I just have the best of everything!?

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #2,383 of 12,546
I don't recall one off the top of my head but from what I've read, the T70 is crystal clear but light on the bass. The DT880/600s actually have a surprising amount of bass, very versatile and textured. I love them.

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #2,384 of 12,546
Quote:
I have the 880600 with sliver dragon wire from moon audio on them. I love the detail (driving with ray samuel raptor amp) but..... wish there was more bottom "punch". anyone thing of cans with same detail but more bottom? thx

I, too, love my 880/600, but sometimes crave more bass (depending on what I am listening to).  Solved this by getting a pair of Denon AHD5000.  Not quite as airy as the 880, but much more bottom.  Have found myself listening to the Denon more often, to the point of considering selling my 880.  (Have not been able to bring myself to actually do it though.)

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #2,385 of 12,546
Quote:
I have both the 880 600ohm and the 650 currently and while the 650s provide more bass, it is less refined and articulated than the bass of the 880. I can see how some would find them seemingly bass light, but for me, the 880s are well extended and provide more detail rendering in the low frequencies. Another resounding thumbs up for electronic music with the 880s. Yummy stuff.

Yep,
880 600 Ohm are fantastic.
Personally, I don't "get" the HD650 sound, plus they don't feel anywhere near as comfortable as DT880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back