The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jan 26, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #226 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not more power that you need for the 600 Ohm.
The 600 Ohm drivers can sound better than the 250 Ohm drivers, but, because of the high impedance they need an amp with a large voltage swing. OTL amps can do that.
That is why not every amp shall be able to make you hear the potential difference in sq..

There is no reason why a SS can't do it either. It's just that most Tube amps are designed with large voltage swings in mind as that is what tubes are better suited do. You could build a SS amp with a voltage swing of more than 100 V if you wanted to though. If you really want to go all out you could (theoretically) build an amp with a voltage swing of a 100 000 V using SS components. That's currently only done for power transmission lines though. Not something I would advise for headphone use either
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #227 of 12,546
I have a balanced amp coming in, LD MKVII+ and also plan on building a diy balanced tube and SS amp.

What is the best way to do a balanced cable on the DT880/600ohm? I plan on doing all the work myself. I was thinking of having cables like on the HD650 where both side have a detachable cable coming out of the bottom.

Any thoughts?

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #228 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is better David.M, and your opinion is your own. I feel that they do sound better and are a worthy $20 improvement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You refuse to believe, simply because you have not actually heard the 600 ohm versions. I owned the 250 ohm versions when I first got the 600 ohm ones, and compared them side by side. The 600 ohm versions are better. There is no doubt.

So refuse to believe all you want, but until you compare for yourself, you will never actually know
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]250-ohms vs. 600-ohms[/size]

It is perfectly logical that such vast impedance & voice-coil mass property differences would result in a very real performance difference, despite that they share the same model number (DT880).

Think of them as two completely different headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still remembered how clearly the difference (better) was the 1st time I put DT880/600 on with GCHA + DL III. Solid state amp with stock cable and single-ended connection.

But in my setup the overall tonality is about the same. DT800/600 just sounds sharper and crispier (in the good sense), clearer and better mid/high, and more accurate focus. In the past, I had hard time choosing between DT880/250 and K702 since each has its own strength. But now DT880/600 gives me the best of both.

Hope this help. I was also hesitated a looong time to get 600 ohm since I don't want two similar phones. But now I had three DT880's
biggrin.gif
. I was so happy to get the 600 ohm version.

And I experienced another level of change if you recable the phone and going balanced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I guess we all got it.
smily_headphones1.gif
No problem, I was in the same skeptics camp myself, next thing I did is purchased 600Ohm Manufaktur DT880 and compared it to my 250Ohm version. The difference out of SS amp (GS-1) was so apparent that I was surprised Beyer didn't name them differently. I agree on DT770 comments, I didn't hear that much difference between 250 and 600Ohm version as on DT880.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heared almost no difference at all between those 2 versions of the DT770 (or only to a snake oil degree), both were dead slow, hence my surprise about the DT880.

-_-

I knew I should of strayed away from this thread ! you guys are really tempting me to drop the bomb on some new DT880/600's from Moon-Audio.

I have my Little Dot MKIII tube amp configured with excellent driver/power tubes so i will most definitely be able to reach the SQ of a equivalently caliber stock LD MKIV, so the 600 ohm impedance on my amp is no problem.

But i am truly skeptical of the whole "600 ohm theory", I've only had the DT880/250Ω for 3 months & I really love them. The only complaint i have with these cans are that they can be a bit analytical sometimes & that the bass presentation could have been better. I think they have enjoyable relaxing bass, but not in a fun rhythmically fast paced/feet tapping kind of way.

I was contemplating on getting the DT990/600 in the future since i heard they're more "fun", but i wouldn't wanna loose the accuracy/superb detail that the dt880's are well known for.

maybe i should buy both ? and see which one i prefer, and send the one i don't like back to Drew? or maybe keep both and sell my current 880/250
beyersmile.png

damn, I am so close in finding my perfect headphones, I'm getting a bit teary guys
crybaby.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #230 of 12,546
Trust us David.M, the is the headphone you have been looking for (waves hand in a Jedi motion).

Come join the Beyer DT880/600 side!! They are your father!!??

LOL, Sorry couldn't resist.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #232 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you most likely bought the 250 ohm version. Which is still very solid and excellent.

I'm not sure I understand. I already have the 250 ohm.
biggrin.gif
I was saying that I am comparing them to the 600 ohm which I just received, and not hearing a major difference off my beyerdynamic A1 amp. Unless you are saying that my 600 ohm are mismarked or something, and are really 250 ohm, which I have been wondering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I wanted to ask, is there any difference between this DT880 600ohm (Beyerdynamic | DT 880 Premium Semi-Open Stereo Studio | 491322)
and the MANUFAKTUR DT880 600ohm?
The price difference between the two is around $100, thats why Im not really eager to go for the MANUFAKTUR.

But maybe this is the reason? Can anybody speak to this, because all these intervening posts saying that the 600 ohm should have been named as a separate headphone because it sounds completely different from the 250 ohm are really confusing me. Given that I'm using the A1, I think I can eliminate the amp as the reason I am not hearing a major difference. I think I can also eliminate my ears, because I can easily tell the difference between totally different headphones. I own many pairs, and they all sound different to me.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #233 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I wanted to ask, is there any difference between this DT880 600ohm (Beyerdynamic | DT 880 Premium Semi-Open Stereo Studio | 491322)
and the MANUFAKTUR DT880 600ohm?
The price difference between the two is around $100, thats why Im not really eager to go for the MANUFAKTUR.

The manufactar ones are supposed to have better driver matching.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #234 of 12,546
What version do you actually get when you order the $319 600 Ohm version through Moon-Audio? From what I could gather you get the Manufaktur version, but on the other hand that only seems to be the case if you order one with a recable.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #237 of 12,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-_-

I knew I should of strayed away from this thread ! you guys are really tempting me to drop the bomb on some new DT880/600's from Moon-Audio.

I have my Little Dot MKIII tube amp configured with excellent driver/power tubes so i will most definitely be able to reach the SQ of a equivalently caliber stock LD MKIV, so the 600 ohm impedance on my amp is no problem.

But i am truly skeptical of the whole "600 ohm theory", I've only had the DT880/250Ω for 3 months & I really love them. The only complaint i have with these cans are that they can be a bit analytical sometimes & that the bass presentation could have been better. I think they have enjoyable relaxing bass, but not in a fun rhythmically fast paced/feet tapping kind of way.

I was contemplating on getting the DT990/600 in the future since i heard they're more "fun", but i wouldn't wanna loose the accuracy/superb detail that the dt880's are well known for.

maybe i should buy both ? and see which one i prefer, and send the one i don't like back to Drew? or maybe keep both and sell my current 880/250
beyersmile.png

damn, I am so close in finding my perfect headphones, I'm getting a bit teary guys
crybaby.gif

for what its worth I'm preferring my 600ohm 880 '03s to the 250 ohm drivers, even with my cheapo cat6 recable job. If you like the 250s I believe you'll enjoy the 600s as much or more.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #239 of 12,546
Should work principally.

As the stock one has ridiculously little kick bass, I wonder if a DT880'03 with 600 ohm systems develops kick bass worth mentioning.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #240 of 12,546
Allright, my 600Ω Systems have arrived and are put into action. My short impressions from NoXter's exemplar last week are confirmed, already out-of-the-box they reach almost Gradessandro level in the speed section compared to the stock 250Ω suckers. I really love that increased blackness!

In respect of the sheer tone, I sense some more warmth and a bit friendlier highs (nothing spectacular though), and the bass balance is a bit shifted away from the deep bass towards the kick bass. Guess the deep bass needs a bit time to come out completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back