The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #11,686 of 12,546
How do you think the Atom would handle it? 125 mW at 600ohm.
Mmm... can’t say... My Micro iDSD BL, which tops out at 166mW 600ohms (another headfi member calculated theirs to 157mW) can take the DT990s to loud volumes upto the 1’oclock position without distorting (this also depends on the recording as I usually listen to loud Bassy music). This is plenty loud enough for me and I usually just leave it at 12’oclock... but not every amp is made the same or has the same limitations so I can’t say whether the Atom will do the 880s justice. It’s usually best to just buy more power and enjoy the extra headroom imo.

EDIT: I just realized that 1 o’clock is over halfway on the knob (about 100mW) so I’m probably already pushing the 990s to their limit lol

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #11,687 of 12,546
Mmm... can’t say... My Micro iDSD BL, which tops out at 166mW 600ohms (another headfi member calculated theirs to 157mW) can take the DT990s to loud volumes upto the 1’oclock position without distorting (this also depends on the recording as I usually listen to loud Bassy music). This is plenty loud enough for me and I usually just leave it at 12’oclock... but not every amp is made the same or has the same limitations so I can’t say whether the Atom will do the 880s justice. It’s usually best to just buy more power and enjoy the extra headroom imo.

EDIT: I just realized that 1 o’clock is over halfway on the knob (about 100mW) so I’m probably already pushing the 990s to their limit lol

I'm assuming these numbers for the Atom and Heresy we're throwing out are single-ended? I'm not a technical expert so it's tough to figure out sometimes.

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #11,691 of 12,546
Yeah... I’m not ready to jump into that rabbit hole... I’m happy with my single-ended setup and I don’t have the time or resources to test every combination of amp, tubes and cables for what might just be snake-oiled hoohah. I mean if balanced was truly better then why would manufacturers even bother with making things single-ended?

Jun 25, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #11,692 of 12,546
Yeah... I’m not ready to jump into that rabbit hole... I’m happy with my single-ended setup and I don’t have the time or resources to test every combination of amp, tubes and cables for what might just be snake-oiled hoohah. I mean if balanced was truly better then why would manufacturers even bother with making things single-ended?

Seems like a lot times things related to audio are not about what's better or worse so much as what is someone's preference.

The good news is the internet and expansion of this hobby are helping to weed out the snake oil.

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #11,693 of 12,546

Hi, I have a iFi Micro iDSD BL connected via iPurifier3 & iGalvanic3.0 to laptop (source). When I play my (fairly) new DT 770 80 ohm hp, I have to bring the Power mode in Normal mode from 12 o clock to 3 o clock for best results. (The dac/amp has Eco, Normal, Turbo modes). Is this, uh, normal? I am planning to get the dt 880 600 ohm and wondering whether the BL will have enough power to get the best out of the 880 | 600 ohm. Otherwise I will have to get a better amp like the Emotiva A -100 (ss) and/or DV 336 SE/ Schiit Valhalla 2 (OTL). Any thoughts?

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #11,694 of 12,546
Hi, I have a iFi Micro iDSD BL connected via iPurifier3 & iGalvanic3.0 to laptop (source). When I play my (fairly) new DT 770 80 ohm hp, I have to bring the Power mode in Normal mode from 12 o clock to 3 o clock for best results. (The dac/amp has Eco, Normal, Turbo modes). Is this, uh, normal? I am planning to get the dt 880 600 ohm and wondering whether the BL will have enough power to get the best out of the 880 | 600 ohm. Otherwise I will have to get a better amp like the Emotiva A -100 (ss) and/or DV 336 SE/ Schiit Valhalla 2 (OTL). Any thoughts?
Seems about right... On Normal, I sometimes have to take my 37 ohm Sundaras to the 2 o’clock position depending on the music, but they also have a lower sensitivity than the Beyers so it evens out... All the 600 ohm Beyer DTs should power the same so I believe the BL should be more than enough on Turbo. Crazy how you have an iGalvanic and iPurifier... I find that the iDefender+ and iPowerX is all I need, but to each their own I suppose...

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #11,695 of 12,546
Hi Dionietzscheus. The Beyerdynamic DT 880/600 requires 100mW and has a sensitivity of 98db/mW. It's fairly hard to drive but efficient also. It doesn't require as much power as the T1 which is something like 300mW. The DT 880's impedance at 100hz is about 715Ω the T1 is something like 1400Ω. Your player has something like 4W at 16Ω but I could not find what this was for 600Ω. You probably should be OK, but not for the T1. Are you sure you will like the DT 880s sound signature, it's different from the DT 770.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #11,696 of 12,546
Seems about right... On Normal, I sometimes have to take my 37 ohm Sundaras to the 2 o’clock position depending on the music, but they also have a lower sensitivity than the Beyers so it evens out... All the 600 ohm Beyer DTs should power the same so I believe the BL should be more than enough on Turbo. Crazy how you have an iGalvanic and iPurifier... I find that the iDefender+ and iPowerX is all I need, but to each their own I suppose...
Hi, for me the effect on sq with the iP3 & iG3.0 in the audio chain is AWESOME. Once I heard music with the threesome, I couldn't go back to the BL solo. Clarity, dynamics and a completely black background. The investment was absolutely worth it. Other members in the forums have attested to the significant change in sq, if you care to check out. Now, the issue is that the BL also powers the other two and in Turbo Mode, is not getting adequately charged from the laptop. It just stops. I might have to get another amp which is self-powered. I do have a Rega Brio amp for my Klipsch RP
600M bookshelf speakers, but the sq from its headphone output is meh. Just might have to get the Emotiva or Schiit along with the 880 | 600. Thanks for your answer.

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #11,697 of 12,546
You probably should be OK, but not for the T1.
1400 Ohms is crazy! I saw the graph though... and I checked the calculator and it seems that the BL should be able to power the T1s just fine... Even at 1400 resistance, the T1s are way more efficient than the 880s and will at most need around 5 Volts, while the BL tops out around 10V...
Now, the issue is that the BL also powers the other two and in Turbo Mode, is not getting adequately charged from the laptop. It just stops.
Hence, the iDefender+ and iPowerX (5V)... Combine those with your iP and iG, throw in the Mercury cable, and you’ll get power and a noise floor that defies the gods... Tell me if you hear any angels!

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #11,698 of 12,546
Hi Dionietzscheus. The Beyerdynamic DT 880/600 requires 100mW and has a sensitivity of 98db/mW. It's fairly hard to drive but efficient also. It doesn't require as much power as the T1 which is something like 300mW. The DT 880's impedance at 100hz is about 715Ω the T1 is something like 1400Ω. Your player has something like 4W at 16Ω but I could not find what this was for 600Ω. You probably should be OK, but not for the T1. Are you sure you will like the DT 880s sound signature, it's different from the DT 770.
Hi Sefelt103, you are right, in Turbo Mode the BL does 8.0V max/ 4W@16 ohm. That should drive the 880 /600 ohm adequately. I got the 770 / 80 ohm as I wanted to hear the Beyer house sound. I also happen to have the Audio Technica MSR7b, which while being a brilliant pair of cans in its price range, doesn't have much bass - quality and quantity wise. I specifically bought the 770/ 80 ohm to a) get to know the Beyer sound which I have been hearing so much about, and b) to listen to bassy music like EDM which I happen to like a lot. I think i have done enough research to know that my next pair of cans are gonna be the 880/ 600 ohm. I am looking for a neutral sound signature; the so-called peaky treble don't bother me that much and the 880/ 600 seems to have a cult following : ). The T1 is way beyond my budget (for now). I am planning to demo the T90 & DT 1990 pro in next few days, though, and then decide. Cheers!

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #11,699 of 12,546
1400 Ohms is crazy! I saw the graph though... and I checked the calculator and it seems that the BL should be able to power the T1s just fine... Even at 1400 resistance, the T1s are way more efficient than the 880s and will at most need around 5 Volts, while the BL tops out around 10V...

Hence, the iDefender+ and iPowerX (5V)... Combine those with your iP and iG, throw in the Mercury cable, and you’ll get power and a noise floor that defies the gods... Tell me if you hear any angels!
Ha ha, will do : )

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #11,700 of 12,546
The DT 880 is sort of neutral but I find if you listen to bright recordings then it's not 'neutral' enough, other more normal recordings seem to fare better. I find it gets less bright once you adjust after the initial shock. EQ/filters or single plies of toilet paper over the driver can help with the treble but I am still unable to determine if this increases distortion or not (I don't have any measurement equipment). The sound itself is 'boring' but if your music is interesting then it's high sound quality for those who don't want speaker like effects/3D soundstage. An obvious alternative is the Sennheiser HD580/600 which does not have the treble, but tends to be slightly more euphonic (pleasing distortion). The DT 880 is more analytical than these. Not for everyone by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back