The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Dec 1, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #11,056 of 12,546
if you wanna stay with the edition style headband .. you basically have to make a leather headband or have someone else make u a custom headband..

if u wanted to go with a button style headband (like on the DT770 or older non premium DT880's ) then u can find a few genuine leather heabands for $60~ ish.

The headband on the DT880 Pro's / Editions is a bit of a let down.. it is comfortable enough but mine have done this as have many others... the headband starts to breakdown after a couple years and gets STICKY.. SUPAR... beyerdynamic. mine aren't too bad (yet) doesn't stick to my hair, say if I wear them, they do tend to stick / leave black residue on my headphone stand however... but I have been pondering what I wanna do for a bit here.

it cost like $45~ to order a new edition headband pad from beyer $30~ + $15 shipping because they seem to charge flat $15 shipping last time I looked.. and I haven't seen any 3rd party sellers for the edition style headband cushion..

temped to just take the old one off and put the button style one on for $10~ but the wing things on my Premiums wouldn't really fit gracefully (people have done it ... it is just kinda janky...)

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #11,057 of 12,546
if you wanna stay with the edition style headband .. you basically have to make a leather headband or have someone else make u a custom headband..
Beyerdynamic has this spare part on their website: https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/catalog/product/view/id/3367/

It says leather in the title and the description. Are these replacement, Edition style headbands from Beyerdynamic easy to install even though they don't have the buttons?

I also emailed Larry from Headphile asking if his V3 Deerskin Leather Headband will fit Edition models. He said no, but that he has headpieces for the pro models that he could install one of his leather headbands on and that I could swap out the Edition style headpiece for his pro-style one. If that makes sense. I wonder how well this would work if the leather headband from Beyerdynamic isn't easy to install.

Dec 3, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #11,058 of 12,546
hi.. they are super easy~ish to install

I know beyer says they are leather.. but the headband that came on my DT880 Premiums (which beyer told me when I emailed them uses the edition headband..certainly wasn't leather.. so I don't know that is the part beyer told me to get however..

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #11,059 of 12,546
I have listened with DT880 250 ohm for three years and now it is time to upgrade. Neutral signature is still my goal and new headphones should do that better than DT880. Some things I have read about DT880 that it has weak bass and treble spikes. I haven't listened any high-end phones and don't have experience about proper live music performances which have high quality acoustics and playback or instruments. Still, I would like to have neutral headphones which are faithful for recording itself and doesn't try to spice it up. Some say that DT1990 or T1 2nd are very good choices for neutrality but which one is more neutral and reduce the flaws of DT880 sound? Is there other choices? I'm using Asus Xonar Essence STX as headphone amp and it has power for 600 ohm, but is it good enough for high-end neutral headphones?

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #11,060 of 12,546
I have listened with DT880 250 ohm for three years and now it is time to upgrade. Neutral signature is still my goal and new headphones should do that better than DT880. Some things I have read about DT880 that it has weak bass and treble spikes. I haven't listened any high-end phones and don't have experience about proper live music performances which have high quality acoustics and playback or instruments. Still, I would like to have neutral headphones which are faithful for recording itself and doesn't try to spice it up. Some say that DT1990 or T1 2nd are very good choices for neutrality but which one is more neutral and reduce the flaws of DT880 sound? Is there other choices? I'm using Asus Xonar Essence STX as headphone amp and it has power for 600 ohm, but is it good enough for high-end neutral headphones?

From everything I've read, T1 2nd gen are less neutral than the DT880. For instance:

https://sonarworks.com/blog/headphone-review-beyerdynamic-t1-2nd-generation/

If you're looking for neutrality and don't mind a closed headphone, take a look at The NAD Viso HP50:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

Besides their very even performance and natural sound, they have remarkably low distortion in the sub-bass region (which is pretty uncommon). Only downside is that the fit might not be for everyone (the pads are a little on the small side, and the headband shape causes issues for some). Bob Katz for instance did not like the HP50 because of the fit, and he much preferred the Oppo PM-3, a closed planar magnetic headphone:

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...0-mid-priced-sealed-headphone-survey-oppo-pm3

If you're looking for open-back, I think the Hifiman HE-400i is great. Right now there are a lot of sales on the HE-400i as well, so it is quite affordable (word is there's a new model from Hifiman coming out that may replace it, so it's possible that after stocks are gone, you'd have to pick it up on the used market or buy the new model, but I don't think those specifics have been confirmed yet). Reviews:

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-400i-mid-fi-best/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/hifiman-he-400i-headphone-review

http://www.headphoneslab.com/hifiman-400i-full-size-planar-magnetic-headphones-review/

If you're looking for something affordable in a closed can that's a bit more 'exciting' than the DT880, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x is well liked and pretty good:

https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-headphone-review-audio-technica-ath-r50x/

Dec 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #11,061 of 12,546
I have listened with DT880 250 ohm for three years and now it is time to upgrade. Neutral signature is still my goal and new headphones should do that better than DT880.

My upgrade from the DT 800 250 ohm is the Amiron home. I am very happy with it. My best open headphone.

If you're looking for neutrality and don't mind a closed headphone, take a look at The NAD Viso HP50

I have the HP50 and would not consider it to be an upgrade to the 880. It has an enjoyable sound but fit and comfort are a huge issue for many including me. I also had to do a fix to stop the creaking of the plastic cups.

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #11,062 of 12,546
Ok I may have to look into these sooner than later. I think my issue is a combination of the old pads were worn and my weight loss has maybe shifted into the neck and caused my ears to effectively stick out more. I definitely noticed the headphones a lot more after a 3 hour gaming session the last few times than when I got them a couple years ago (before the weight loss). I remember about the only gaming headphones I used to be able to use years ago were Steelseries 5H which had really deep cups. since the pad replacement my DT880's are definitely much more comfortable but it's not lasting as long as when they were new. They start out fine but over the gaming session the pads compress a bit as the foam warms up. If I didn't have other stuff to buy I might look into something new but I do like the sound on these. Being neutral I can always EQ the sound to tweak it when I want to or just turn all that stuff off and listen to it "pure" which I'm liking.

On a whim I recently bought the Dekoni Elite Velour pads for my DT-880 (250 ohm) and I'm really impressed with the difference they've made. The foam is more comfortable, supposedly being memory foam, which is definitely a little stiffer than the stock earpads' foam, and also deeper than the stock earpads. But what surprised me most is the improvement in sound. Last year I bought the Amiron, after which I rarely listened to my DT-880 since the Amiron had a much more balanced sound - but now with the Dekoni pads, the DT-880 sound much more balanced, with the treble slightly tamed, and extremely close in sound to the Amiron.

I've been listening to my DT-880 with the Dekoni pads all week, pushing aside much higher-end headphones. I'd definitely recommend the pads for anyone looking for a an easy upgrade.

This website has them on sale, and with the coupon "THANK YOU" it brought them down to $35.99 shipped:
https://www.digitaldjgear.com/dekon...for-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990-and-more.html

Heck, now I'm tempted to buy a pair of DT-800 600 ohm!

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #11,063 of 12,546
I know beyer says they are leather.. but the headband that came on my DT880 Premiums (which beyer told me when I emailed them uses the edition headband..certainly wasn't leather.. so I don't know that is the part beyer told me to get however..
Just to be sure I understood you properly, you are saying that the headband that I linked to is not actually made of leather?

@Hifihedgehog Did you ever see my question that was addressed to you in this thread? I'm not sure if I tagged you properly to where you would get a notification, because I tagged you in an edit of the post instead of in the original message.

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #11,064 of 12,546
Just to be sure I understood you properly, you are saying that the headband that I linked to is not actually made of leather?

@Hifihedgehog Did you ever see my question that was addressed to you in this thread? I'm not sure if I tagged you properly to where you would get a notification, because I tagged you in an edit of the post instead of in the original message.

If you want a genuine leather one you will need to look elsewhere: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/471...namic-leather-headband?ref=shop_home_active_2

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #11,065 of 12,546
Just an update on the chrome edition with the potatoes headband sliders...I stuck a zip tie end into the slot and now it stays put.

2joBmIB.jpg

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #11,066 of 12,546
I received the DT 880 Premium 250 ohm version along with a FiiO E10K for christmas and so far I'm enjoying my listening experience. I sold my ATH-AD700s a little while back (was using alongside a NuForce uDAC-2) so I haven't done much listening using cans in recent months. My only complaints so far is the fact that I have a big head and wear glasses...although I can't knock the headphones for that.

g0xzOnL.jpg

Attachments

• 20171228_000824-01_RS2.jpg
    20171228_000824-01_RS2.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 0
Dec 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #11,069 of 12,546
I received the DT 880 Premium 250 ohm version along with a FiiO E10K for christmas and so far I'm enjoying my listening experience. I sold my ATH-AD700s a little while back (was using alongside a NuForce uDAC-2) so I haven't done much listening using cans in recent months. My only complaints so far is the fact that I have a big head and wear glasses...although I can't knock the headphones for that.

Nice setup!
My first quality setup was a Beyerdynamic DT880 (250 Ohm) along with a FiiO E10 (the previous version of the current FiiO E10K)
At that time they ruled out part of my recordings but made the really good ones shine. That pointed me to higher quality recordings that I've been enjoying all these years.

I don't have my DT880 anymore, but my HD800S reminds me the sound of DT880, which is a lot to say for DT880.

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #11,070 of 12,546
Are new 880's warmer sounding than older ones or is it just me? I've heard a couple of new DT880's lately and also an older one, and the newer ones all seemed obviously warmer sounding with darker / smoother treble (which is a plus). Maybe newer pads are different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back