The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #11,043 of 12,546
I love speakers. Sometimes I just want to fill the house with music.

I meant headphone speakers in that context. That Bluedio has 6 drivers per cup of terrible fidelity. :p

In regards to enjoying music, i think most people on here, that is the goal. But over time with different signatures, you realize there is a difference between listeing to music, and breaking the music apart. Not to say both are not enjoyable. To me music listening pleasure is when you;re not paying attention to all the details but enjoying the piece as a whole vs dissecting the music, checking soundstage, bass, mids , highs obsessively. I never planned on enjoying listening critically, it can become overwhelming fatiguing. This is what i meant. IMO I felt dt880 is more of critically listening tool (for me) because it seperates the music so well, mixed with its flat/neutralish nature relative to a more v-shaped signature makes it easier to focus obsessively on details and break music up rather than enjoy it as a whole on .... oh lets say a KOSS portapto. :D

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #11,045 of 12,546
Ya, when I have the DT880s on or any of my headphones on for that matter it is to enjoy the music, not try to dissect it!

Thats awesome man. I saw on rank your headphone list, you ranked your 880's first, even over 1060 Monoprice Monolith. Have you ever considered the 660.32 as a portable option? They are even flatter than 880 IMO, and work fine even off a phone. I would say they are a notch below 880, but we're talking about a 32ohm, closedback.

leo-toast-2.nocrop.w529.h252.gif

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #11,046 of 12,546
Thats awesome man. I saw on rank your headphone list, you ranked your 880's first, even over 1060 Monoprice Monolith. Have you ever considered the 660.32 as a portable option? They are even flatter than 880 IMO, and work fine even off a phone. I would say they are a notch below 880, but we're talking about a 32ohm, closedback.

leo-toast-2.nocrop.w529.h252.gif

The DT 880 and Monoprice m1060 are basically 1a and 1b... I was going back and forth on that one. Truth be told I really love all my headphones, for instance today I've been using the AKG k240 and Sennheiser HD598 all day.

Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into it, I've never really liked closed headphones as you can see from my list. I've been searching for a good one! After the kiddos are asleep I'll pop on the DT 880 and do some research✌

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #11,047 of 12,546
Hi guys I have a question about replacement ear pads for the DT-880's. I just bought the Beyer official pads for them to replace my original ones. I figured it was time because I've been getting left ear pain after a few hours of use (use them with a ModMic for gaming) and over the last year my left ear has been getting sore quicker and quicker. It sticks out a bit more and on shallow headphones contacts the driver. Originally with the DT880's I didn't have that issue. I'm hoping it's just worn pads and not my ongoing weight loss causing my ear to stick out farther than before (i.e. lost weight in neck/head or something). My pads just arrived so I haven't put the new ones on yet.

I'm wondering though are there any good 3rd party pads out there that can be used on the DT880's that would be deeper than the stock pads? I tried looking around online but if they exist then my Google skills to find them are apparently lacking.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #11,048 of 12,546
Hi guys I have a question about replacement ear pads for the DT-880's. I just bought the Beyer official pads for them to replace my original ones. I figured it was time because I've been getting left ear pain after a few hours of use (use them with a ModMic for gaming) and over the last year my left ear has been getting sore quicker and quicker. It sticks out a bit more and on shallow headphones contacts the driver. Originally with the DT880's I didn't have that issue. I'm hoping it's just worn pads and not my ongoing weight loss causing my ear to stick out farther than before (i.e. lost weight in neck/head or something). My pads just arrived so I haven't put the new ones on yet.

I'm wondering though are there any good 3rd party pads out there that can be used on the DT880's that would be deeper than the stock pads? I tried looking around online but if they exist then my Google skills to find them are apparently lacking.

I would imagine after a long time they would squish a bit as happened to another beyer can i have. I washed them and they puffed up again after all the grime was washed out. Mind you i think they can only be washed a few times before the foam will disintegrate. Another option i was curious about were leather pads. I tried hm5 leather on them, and they placed the ear further away. Because they are open cans, the sound doesn't change as much as you would imagine, that is, they are still listenable. However, it is noticeable enough in change that one could like it or detest it. I noticed it became a bit more colored in the sense that the bass (both midbass/ subbass) strengthened and treble felt lighter due to slight increase in distance from ear. This is all relative. It does lose its raw nature and flat frequency. Though my ear touches the flat disc, it doesn't prove to be uncomfortable till after 4-5 hours or so. Anyway this guy here uses Dekoni pads on his 600ohm dt990

IIRC they will also work with dt880 as a second option. Another option would be MrSpeakers Alpha pads which will fit, but will probably change the sound from its neutral character. Good Luck :D

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #11,049 of 12,546
On a whim I recently bought the Dekoni Elite Velour pads for my DT-880 (250 ohm) and I'm really impressed with the difference they've made. The foam is more comfortable, supposedly being memory foam, which is definitely a little stiffer than the stock earpads' foam, and also deeper than the stock earpads. But what surprised me most is the improvement in sound. Last year I bought the Amiron, after which I rarely listened to my DT-880 since the Amiron had a much more balanced sound - but now with the Dekoni pads, the DT-880 sound much more balanced, with the treble slightly tamed, and extremely close in sound to the Amiron.

I've been listening to my DT-880 with the Dekoni pads all week, pushing aside much higher-end headphones. I'd definitely recommend the pads for anyone looking for a an easy upgrade.

This website has them on sale, and with the coupon "THANK YOU" it brought them down to $35.99 shipped:
https://www.digitaldjgear.com/dekon...for-beyerdynamic-dt-770-880-990-and-more.html

Heck, now I'm tempted to buy a pair of DT-800 600 ohm!

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #11,050 of 12,546
Thanks guys I'll keep those Dekoni in mind for next time. I already had the Beyer's ordered and just put them on tonight. Definitely a noticeable difference. My pads weren't as dirty and the foam plate things not as worn as the how to vids I watched but the foam in the pads was definitely worn (compressed) in a few spots. We'll see how they do tomorrow since I have a gaming session.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #11,051 of 12,546
Hello Beyer fans, I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of 880/990 Editions. It seems like users here on Head-Fi prefer the 880s. I say this because the 990s are virtually unreviewed in Head Gear and they don't have a huge megathread like the 880s do either. Am I correct in assuming that this is because Head-Fiers generally prefer the 880s?

Thank you,
Alec

EDIT: @Hifihedgehog : In this thread, I've read that you did not like the 250 ohm variations of the 880/990. Is this dislike limited to the Pro models? Or do you dislike the 250 ohm Edition models as well?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #11,052 of 12,546
Hello Beyer fans, I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of 880/990 Editions. It seems like users here on Head-Fi prefer the 880s. I say this because the 990s are virtually unreviewed in Head Gear and they don't have a huge megathread like the 880s do either. Am I correct in assuming that this is because Head-Fiers generally prefer the 880s?

Thank you,
Alec

I have only heard my pair of DT880 Pro (250 Ohm), but I chose the DT880 after reading as many reviews on the DT770, DT880, and DT990 as I could. HeadRoom can be a handy place to do some relative comparisons as well, and while they didn't measure the DT880 250 Ohm, the do have measurements of the 600 Ohm versions of all three models, which I've selected here:

http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...e=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

You can see that relatively speaking, the DT990 has more elevated mid-bass and more generally elevated treble response than either other model (regarding the treble, some people find the DT770/880/990 series treble to be too much for them, and with the 990 being the most elevated, it could explain why it's the least popular). Cumulative spectral decay (i.e. waterfall) plots of the DT990 also show more pronounced ringing at 10kHz than the other models, so if you have any particular sensitivity to 10Khz, you could find the DT990 more bothersome.

Also worth referencing, this review shows comparative measurements of the 32 Ohm, 250 Ohm, and 600 Ohm DT880 models and the variations in their performance:

http://en.goldenears.net/11302

(Of course keep in mind that graphs generally can't be compared across sites, since differences in recording equipment and environments as well as chosen compensation curves to simulate a particular ideal tend to all be different between different sites.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back