The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Feb 22, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #10,726 of 12,546
  Some people like mid bass (990) some people like subbass (880).

​ok I'm that new that I don't know what is represented by mid bass and sub bass.  can you elaborate ?  is sub that doof doof doof you hear from boy racers driving round with huge sub speakers in the back of their car ?  what then is mid bass ?  smaller drums ?  thanks

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #10,727 of 12,546
​ok I'm that new that I don't know what is represented by mid bass and sub bass.  can you elaborate ?  is sub that doof doof doof you hear from boy racers driving round with huge sub speakers in the back of their car ?  what then is mid bass ?  smaller drums ?  thanks

That one note pounding, "thud-thud-thud" is usually a mix of subbass and mid bass. Mid bass is the slam that comes from music in drums and such, subbass is the rumble that is felt/heard as part of that slam - like an explosion. For a clear view of subbass listen to "Why So Serious?" on the Dark Knight soundtrack. A couple minutes in all you get it subbass pounding that then goes right through the music. On the 880 I get that rumble nice and tight and textured so I can discern each note clearly, even when the mid-bass kicks in above. You should be getting a nice and detailed rumble "feel" throughout the music with a well amped 880, but with the 990 I mainly hear the mid bass throughout with little to no rumble due to subbass roll off.

The car sub "thud-thud-thud" is all quantity and no quality (one note), the 880 is high quality (notes clearly distinguishable).

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #10,728 of 12,546

That one note pounding, "thud-thud-thud" is usually a mix of subbass and mid bass. Mid bass is the slam that comes from music in drums and such, subbass is the rumble that is felt/heard as part of that slam - like an explosion. For a clear view of subbass listen to "Why So Serious?" on the Dark Knight soundtrack. A couple minutes in all you get it subbass pounding that then goes right through the music. On the 880 I get that rumble nice and tight and textured so I can discern each note clearly, even when the mid-bass kicks in above. You should be getting a nice and detailed rumble "feel" throughout the music with a well amped 880, but with the 990 I mainly hear the mid bass throughout with little to no rumble due to subbass roll off.

The car sub "thud-thud-thud" is all quantity and no quality (one note), the 880 is high quality (notes clearly distinguishable).

One just drove by my office. Had two 18" Flabmaster $49 woofers driven by a $79 2000 watt amp.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #10,729 of 12,546

That Dark Knight Why so Serious was deadly, though i was using JVC Sz1k and also tried on my xb1k. Didn't really rattle on the 880, but i could definitely hear the notes on them.

I disagree about the car audio bit because SQ setups are very much possible. I've had at least 50+ different setups in 15 vehicles, and in some they can sound like garbage. When i did detailing i heard many of the SQ systems in the exotics and they are super clean. In a nice SUV, with sound deadening, good components you feel all the low subbass notes and hear the mid bass notes. The bass from high quality 18's and 15's in a car is otherworldy bass, much like that in theatres. Headphone bass is nice, but like come on now :p

One just drove by my office. Had two 18" Flabmaster $49 woofers driven by a $79 2000 watt amp.

the lowest 18s are probably pyle 18s and yeah they flutter like water waves. I think it was called blue wave lol.
Those amps make good paper weight!

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #10,730 of 12,546

That Dark Knight Why so Serious was deadly, though i was using JVC Sz1k and also tried on my xb1k. Didn't really rattle on the 880, but i could definitely hear the notes on them.

I disagree about the car audio bit because SQ setups are very much possible. I've had at least 50+ different setups in 15 vehicles, and in some they can sound like garbage. When i did detailing i heard many of the SQ systems in the exotics and they are super clean. In a nice SUV, with sound deadening, good components you feel all the low subbass notes and hear the mid bass notes. The bass from high quality 18's and 15's in a car is otherworldy bass, much like that in theatres. Headphone bass is nice, but like come on now :p
the lowest 18s are probably pyle 18s and yeah they flutter like water waves. I think it was called blue wave lol.
Those amps make good paper weight!

Fair enough, I was trying to make a point:)

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #10,732 of 12,546
  Fair enough, I was trying to make a point:)

Fair enough, but I must help defend the car audio crowd :p They get a really bad rep, but at the end of the day whether it be headphones, home audio or car audio, its about getting the best music.

Car audio peeps can also enjoy good headphones :p like the 880 :D

devil_face.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #10,733 of 12,546

Listening to it now on my DT1990s.... WOW

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #10,740 of 12,546
^ not a chance, better get the 250ohm and it still is a lot of load for a caffeine, to decently drive the 600ohm you need an OTL / tube amp or a powerful SS.

That is good then. I first tried the DT880 600 ohm with my Soundblaster E5 with high gain. But it lacks punch. The mids are wonderfull. high are not bad. But the bass is just almost non existent. I just ordered my Schiit Valhalla 2. I think I am going to enjoy my cans a lot more then. Can't wait. shame the E5 cannot deliver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back