The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Nov 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #10,366 of 12,546
Yep, but if you look at any of the can measurements, you'll see that BBC dip (to compensate for our sensitivity to frequencies in that region I suppose) then a spike to create "air". Most cans only return to 0dB, and the 880s aren't much different in that respect. In fact, they have better LF response than the 600s, though not better than the 650s. Either way, everyone's ear canalc are different, and THD can form across any poart of th FR, creating irritation for some that doesn't exist for others. I think among the Senns, adding the 880s to the mix will round out a very nice collection, as much as I also admire the Senns, both the 600s and 650s.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #10,367 of 12,546
Hm yeah I guess a little bit of elevation after a dip is probably needed to make it not sound too veiled or something, but then still, the 880 overdoes it a bit, and the 880 doesn't even have such a big dip in the low treble compared to a lot of the other headphones.. And I think a 7-9k spike doesn't totally compensate for a 4-6k dip, they're similar but quite different frequencies in the end, so overdoing one of them doesn't bring back some balance but imo makes it sound even less "right" (I think a lot of people say the 880 treble sounds a little artificial and I'd kinda agree with that).
It was a used pair btw (a few weeks or months used I think), and I then used it for a month as well so burn-in wasn't the issue, and I liked most of the sound a lot (and the almost fully metal-build is refreshing compared to so much plasticy headphones out there..) but in the end it was just a slight clash of taste I guess. Of course, a lot of headphones in this price point have 1 or 2 of these issues that you're just gonna have to live with, but I think a headphone like the HD600 is gonna fit more with my preferences (although I still need to order it, I heard it only 1 or 2 times before for a short session), as I need a headphone that's more or less neutral in all of the frequencies.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #10,368 of 12,546
I tried senns and 880's. the beyers beat the senns in comfort by many many degrees imho. about a cable upgrade for beyers. custom cans are offering a braided litz cable for 90 pounds. is this money well spent or would the audible difference be so negligible here so not worth the cash. if there was a difference i would pay up. thanks.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #10,369 of 12,546
Actually I find the HD600/650 more comfortable (with better ergonomics) than any of its competition. 880s are one of the comfiest headphones too, but slightly less padding on the headband and in the case of the pro model a little too much clamp force pushing to the ears makes them a little less comfy. But that's all subjective of course, everyone's head is different.
Build-wise no one touches the Beyers though, although I only really like the design of the Pro model.

Not sure about the cable, don't have much experience with that. Unless you have a really crappy cable (and I'm sure the 880 cable is good), cable upgrades are usually done for that last one percent improvement in sound (if any), first you gotta make sure you have good source music files and a good dac and amp of course.

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #10,370 of 12,546
I agree, and honestly, I'd be happy with either the 600 or the 880. The 650 is a little odd to me, weird balance, kinda thick, perhaps a lot of midbass even thoughthe FR chart didn't reveal any. Either way, in all honesty, I can't imagine anyone expecting much better for less than $1k, or even more.  

Nov 6, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #10,371 of 12,546
What amp+dac hybrid do you guys use on desktop? :)

I want to get something for under $150 for my 600ohms DT880. Any suggestions? I would prefer amp+dac together.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #10,373 of 12,546
Try to get your hands on a nice used vintage Marantz or something. Nothing is quite as good with them imo.

Looks massive! Meh, I dunno if I want to get something used from 30s years ago. Bit too risky tbh.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #10,374 of 12,546
"Everything old is new", those vintage Marantz look cool. :)

I'm using the Teac UD-301 and it does a fine job with my 880/600s. However, I also have an Objective 2 that puts out some decent power into 600Ohms, and honestly, I couldn't tell the difference, though I didn't spend too much time A/Bing . That said, I don't play my cans very loudly. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #10,375 of 12,546
I pulled the trigger on a pair of DT880 Premium 250 ohms.  I saw them for a good price on Amazon.co.uk, less than $160 after the exchange rate & shipping.

Hopefully there's not a Black Friday deal that's even better.  I recently got a pair of HD650's from Amazon.co.uk for around $250, thinking I got a great deal, then Massdrop comes along with their HD6XX for $200 
eek.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #10,377 of 12,546
Some FR plots from Innerfidelity are quite tricky in my experience.
Everybody knows HD650 (and HD600) are mid bassy but graphs on Innerfidelity look relatively flat.

Here you have my own measurements comparing HD650 with DT880 Pro

Green trace is DT880 - Pink trace is HD650

My experience goes in line with this comparative graph.
HD650's mid-bass is raised while DT880's bass is flatter.

(Both have similar performance in terms of THD in the bass as you can see on Innerfidelity)

With top class recordings DT880's bass sounds better to my ears, more neutral.
With less than stellar recordings DT880 might appear as bass light, and HD650 compensates better what's most of the time a recording's fault.

I wouldn't say HD650's bass is better than DT880, or DT880's better than HD650's bass. It's more a matter of recording pairing in my experience.

I had a Sennheiser HD600 too and it was very similar to the HD650 in the bass, main difference was being more forward in the upper midrange/lower treble region and the slightly more fuzzy presentation.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #10,378 of 12,546
I must have 50 hours now on my DT880 Premium 250 Ohm. I ended up taking out the OPA2134 that comes with my M-Stage HPA-2 (Non USB version), and popping in an LME49860NA about two hours ago. Just as others before me have found, this opamp sounds great. With my DT880, I am noticing some immediate improvements. This is a better sounding opamp than the OPA2134, without question. The first thing I noticed was its ability to present details even at lower volumes. Things do not need to be blasting to bring out everything in the mix. The sub level bass is more present. Bass extension is more pronounced. It makes the tight bass that is already present on the DT880 even more detailed, accurate, and defined than previously. Soundstage is wider, with improved instrument separation. Locating instruments in the room is very easy with this opamp. Vocals sound as if they are slightly above you, as in, almost on the top of your head. Interesting enough, the treble on this opamp with the DT880 is quite different. It takes the additional edge off, and sounds almost perhaps -1 rolled off right across 6Hz to 12kHz. It is detailed, but non fatiguing. I have been loving the DT880 since I bought them a few weeks ago. These headphones really change in sound depending on equipment changes, even small ones. Really impressed with these puppies.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #10,379 of 12,546
I just received my DT880 Premium phones today.  I was a little surprised to find the construction feels less robust than my Sennheiser HD580/600/650 phones (contrary to many other opinions I've read).  And what the heck is the purpose of those metal things that stick out of the side of the headband?  When I saw them in pictures, I thought they looked ugly but figured they must serve a purpose - but now that I see them in person, they don't seem to have any purpose, and they feel cheap, flimsy, and sharp.

I am enjoying the sound of the DT880's though.  Their treble provides a nice contrast to my Sennheisers.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #10,380 of 12,546
  And what the heck is the purpose of those metal things that stick out of the side of the headband?

A E S T H E T I C S

I kinda like them. Sharp, yes, but I never felt that they'll just fall out randomly. It's not something I touch often.
But yeah... the slider/yoke part on the Pro versions seems nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back